Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.5 Is it just me?

OS X 10.5 Is it just me? (Page 2)
chirpy22
Jan 11, 2008, 12:39 AM

I have to say I am disappointed in file copying in ALL versions of Mac OS X, especially over networks. In OS 9, if I have a folder with 500 items in it and I copy it to another folder (on another hard drive or over a network) it starts copying immediately, no matter what the size of those files are within that folder. But with OS X, I have to wait while it says "Preparing to copy files" and then it has to count them and do who knows what else. Then it finally says, "Copying files to..." and I have to wait, and wait, and wait while it copies.
It's really frustrating. Maybe it has something to do with being based on UNIX, but come on Apple.

UpQuark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 10:00 AM

It is disappointing to hear that there are a few users with issues such that have been raised here. I have installed 10.5.1 on 3 machines with no issues on any. My wife has never(even with tiger) seen a crash. Unlike her XP box at work. IT doen't crash often, mind you ,but she was startled to see it none the less.

I use my iMac 24" every day and often leave it running for weeks on end. The longest stretch was 19 days - not terribly long, no, but for a personal computer - I think that is grand. Currently I am pushing 8 days.

10.5.1 (.1 mind you) feels more stable to me. I didn't crash with 10.5.0 - but I mirror others who have said it didn't feel solid or didn't act quite right.

I am excited for .2 though.. I really want my firewall back a la tiger. And would love to have the popup folders on the Dock back a la tiger. I should point out however, the folks saying that Tiger is a better OS than leopard were probably running 10.4.6 or better.... we are on .1 of leopard.
For me the single most improved bang for the buck has been network access/speed. For me, on the same network and Mac hardware - this machine is much faster at FTP/File&FOlder and internet transfers..

I wish for perfection.. but having written software myself I defer from such lofty goals....

I am pretty pleased overall and glad I upgraded.
" That is just crazy, man!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules