Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 with an external usb modem

G4 with an external usb modem
G4Man
Dec 30, 1999, 03:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone has a G4 with an external modem. I have a Best Data usb 56k modem. For some reasons, I can't connect to aol, or sometimes it connects at 56,000bps, or up to 230,000bps. And the thing is slow, and sometimes speeds up. Let me know if any of you G4 owners have a solution of making my modem stable. It's a roller coaster ride.

henri
Jan 1, 2000, 05:39 PM

I suggest you create separate extension set for FaxSTF BE and another for your ISP AOL. The modem works fine if you do this......

There is some USB port problem which makes this necessary......

PS.......AFAIK, there is no Tech support at Best Data and
*almost* none at SmithMicro.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2000, 04:50 PM

G3/350 with USB Diamond Supra v.90 and connects consistently at 46k - you're reporting cpu to modem - I use this along with Apple internal 56k v.90 and FCR's LinkUPPP Turbo for dual modem multilink PPP.

USB devices in general are iffy - this one works as well as any v.90, very happy.

MacComCenter Pro allows easy switching of settings and supports multiple ports (five anyway), which can have their own state (send only, receive/send, disabled). I sure hope SmithMicro keeps and continues to upgrade this product, but haven't seen an update for OS 9 and it is flaky doing install.

------------------
Gregory Youngs
[email protected]

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2000, 03:27 PM

I have a brand-new G4/450 and just added a 56k usb modem from Viking(vikingcomponents.com). I usually connect at between 44-46. So far it has been very reliable and a great value.($30 at MicroCenter) Negatives: For OS9 the software install was a bit tedious ...Special instructions on their web site for OS9. Also, uses the G3 B/W color scheme, not G4 Graphite. But for $30.......
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

G4Man  (op)
Jan 11, 2000, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the great information. I'm probably going to stick with the modem for a week, then I'm going to get dsl service. The modem is just not happening for me. Too slow My G3 with an external SupraExpress modem is faster than my G4 (Internet wise)

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2000, 10:23 AM

I'm actually in the same situation...I purchased the modem as a temporary measure. I signed up for DSL through Flashcom...but it's a 4-6 week wait for installation. Let me know how your DSL service works out....
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules