Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So thats what a crash looks like

So thats what a crash looks like
danayanch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 10:30 PM

So today....the third day of having my powerbook I think i had my firstcrash

I was updating to 10..3.6 and dowloading a program at the same time....Then it was completed updating my sistem to 10.3.6 and it told me i needed to restart...but i kinda ignored it and fninished downloading my file (while talking on msn), then in tried mounting it.....Thats when everthing greyed out and a screen came down and said that I have to restart the computer by holding doown the power key....It said it in like 5 diff langauges....

So what im asking is,,,,Was this a crash? Or something else.

I think i should have listend to the powerbook when it told me to restart after 10.3.6 was done installing.

Serves me right haha

I still love my PB.....its unconditional love!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 11:11 PM

yes, that was a kernel panic
iamwhor3hay

danayanch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 11:34 PM

oooo it sounds freakky

wedgewood
Nov 6, 2004, 12:50 AM

You can check system.log file on the system profiler to look over the cause of system crash.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 12:44 PM

I am Colonel Panic! Drop and reboot!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 6, 2004, 12:46 PM

This is called a kernal panic and it is happening to tons of people with powerbooks. There are dozens of threads already in the Apple Discussion Boards and as well, the Mac OS X 10.3.6 thread here at MacNN in the Mac OS X section of the board has the problem recorded from multiple people as well. It seems to have something to do with using Safari and updating at the same time.

Count yourself lucky if your machine still works. I had the same issue and mine seems to be working fine as well, but many are not able to boot their machines anymore and are forced to archive and install.

Timan
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 01:40 PM

The same exact thing happened to me last night, was talking on msn, ran the software update then the grayness scrolls down with the kernal panic.

Its weird the same exact thing you explained happened to me lol.
- Tim

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2004, 02:01 PM

Personally, I wouldn't be doing anything else while Software Update is writing new files to the disk. I would just leave it and reboot as soon as its done.

If you can't reboot/stop what you're doing, then just wait to update.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 02:12 PM

yeah, when you're updating the os, let it do it's thing undisturbed!
run it, let it finish, reboot.
THEN go on to other downloads etc.

it's good practice to repair permissions right after rebooting from an os update, as well.

respect the system!! ( )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2004, 04:24 PM

don't mess with your HD... very logical not to do other tasks when it tells you to shut down/restart.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
I am Colonel Panic! Drop and reboot!
hey, that's my line

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 11:25 PM

Why would anyone update the OS and do other tasks at the same time? Am I missing something? Why would one USE the item (in this case the OS) while modifying it? That seems silly. I know I can multi-task, but...

It's like running an update on Illustrator and creating a drawing at the same time...

Maybe I'm old school. Do nothing to the software being worked on as it is being modified.

anyway- regarding kernel panics- my PB has yet to see one... in 18 mos., my G4 at work has seen a few, but has not affected work.

gbarill
Nov 11, 2004, 02:18 AM

no kidding, i usually quit everything when updating...

i haven't had a kernel panic in a long time (i can't even remember when the last time was, easily 6 months ago at least)

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Why would anyone update the OS and do other tasks at the same time? Am I missing something? Why would one USE the item (in this case the OS) while modifying it? That seems silly. I know I can multi-task, but...
Users shouldn't have to know what they should and should not do. If the updater doesn't prevent you from doing other tasks, then it must be okay to continue working.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by riverfreak:
Users shouldn't have to know what they should and should not do. If the updater doesn't prevent you from doing other tasks, then it must be okay to continue working.

in that case, it's okay to shut off your mac from the power button, or unplug a firewire drive without unmounting it; use your scanner without installing the driver; plug the ethernet cable into the usb port!

my point is (duh), that a certain amount of knowledge & information is a good thing, and helps us keep our macs running well.

hence, these forums.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 06:32 PM

Following that logic, when the computer tells you it needs to be restarted, then you should restart and not do other things.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 07:32 PM

No, they probably shouldn't, but it's still good advice. I think it's more along the lines of common sense, but ... well ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules