Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Motorola V3 Razr owners here?...and also list your cell phone!

Any Motorola V3 Razr owners here?...and also list your cell phone! (Page 2)
Randman
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by V12
hey randman, how do you edit the songs in itunes? I used to have a pc program years ago that was able to snip 30-45secs of a song then transfer it to my v6oo via bluetooth, can i snip a part of one my itunes songs as well?
Here's how I've done it. I think I copied the comment from a tip at macosxhints. Not sure, but it does work though I keep the quality higher since I keep the ringtones on my memory card and I have a 256mb mmc card on my 6600. Also, just to be safe when doing it the first time, you might want to duplicate the track so you have the original in pristine condition should anything go wrong.

First, in iTunes you need to go to Prefs, then Import, then change your import settings to mp3 (I used 112kbps, quality is less important than compactness for my ringtones).

Then, find the song you want, and go through the song to figure out which part you want to be the ringtone (IE: 00:30.00 to 00:42.00) and then Command-I to get info on the song. Under the Options tab in the Get Info menu, check both start and stop time and enter the start and stop times for the ringtone section (IE: Start time 00:30.00 End Time 00:42.00).

You may want to play it once to make sure it's well cropped. Then, just select the song in your library and go to Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3. It will automatically convert ONLY the portion of the song that you selected to a new, cropped MP3 file, which can then be dragged onto the desktop and used.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Link
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 04:02 PM

o_O how do you rip the 'buttons' off a touch sensitive keypad?
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Link
o_O how do you rip the 'buttons' off a touch sensitive keypad?
The one I saw wasn't a TS pad. Each number had its own button. Could have been an earlier model.

Put it this way - I went in there to buy a Razor. Specifically. I didn't walk out with one which means it looked and felt like crap.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 06:33 PM

Moto's Canada site doesn't even have the Razr... that said does anyone find it odd that Apple went with Moto for the iTunes phone despite going with Sony Ericson for the intro of iSync? I just find that a bit odd.

I hate cell phones either way. If I got one I'd probably just get a nice one with bluetooth and just make sure it had my addy book in it and be done. Actually I might keep using my iPod for my address book.

Link
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 07:24 PM

Sony launched a music service to compete with Apple's iPod and openly said they wanted to compete and maybe even beat apple at the music game, they even have a phone that's aimed to compete at what the itunes phone will be, so I can see why apple did such. To tell you the truth, I'm not impressed enough with ANY of the current designs out there, whether it be sony, motorola, or nokia when it comes to the bigger cellphone manufacturers, because they're all too cluttered and suck bigtime.

Yeah, I know many will differ, but nokia makes anything BUT a "zen" looking phone, and motorola isn't that good with OS design (shoot they make some of the most unstable firmware, but some of the most "solid" hardware, though a lot of their designs suck too), Sony makes even worse firmware than motorola usually (it's slow AND unstable), their designs are okay, but they almost never release anything for the US market anymore.
Aloha

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
Moto's Canada site doesn't even have the Razr...
They sell it though in Canada though Rogers.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 12:05 AM

Nokia 3588i. Somehow I've never understood the allure of expensive, multifunction cell phones. Cheap and easy, that's how I like 'em....

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheJoshu

Nokia 3588i. Somehow I've never understood the allure of expensive, multifunction cell phones. Cheap and easy, that's how I like 'em....

Sounds like your comparing a $250 an hour hooker to a $20 crack whore.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 04:24 PM

I'm getting a v3 tomorrow (yay). I was wondering though, can I sync files such as pics / ringtones without using bluetooth, but instead over usb? My (olden) titanium Powerbook doesn't have Bluetooth built in, and I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be for me to buy an adapter that is going to look hideous and stick out anyways.

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2005, 04:48 PM

kyocera koi here with verizon.

was going to get the motorola that verizon offered, but it seemed fragile and buttons were hard to read/push with one hand. i weighed the advantages of bluetooth vs easy use and decided to go ease of use. Though I do want to be able to connect to my computer, they don't support macs. Even my husband on PC had hard time getting PC access going.

To transfer photos for free, I use verizon's website. Any other cell phone websites that may have more tricks?

Agree verizon's get it now is way overpriced.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoshu
Same here. Mine's a grayscale-screen Nokia 35xx (the exact model escapes me at the moment...it was Alltel's standard giveaway model two years ago). I got a second battery for it for $25 from the local AT&T Mobile store when they were switching away from the model. Still works like a champ.

Voch

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I have a Moto V710. Besides the fact that Verizon insists on stripping all useful features from the phone (no OBEX, and the latest firmware took away the ability to transfer ring tones via the transflash card), I like it pretty well. What limited bluetooth functionality (headset, modem) works well. Oh, and that magapixel camera sucks indoors. On second thought, the phone is only worth it if you want to use it as a phone and nothing else, and there are cheaper and better alternatives if that's the case.

I was going to switch to Cingular, but they messed my account up and charged me three times for the phone, all before my number was ported. I wasn't pleased to see a charge for almost $1,000 show up on my credit card for a phone that had yet to arrive after a week f phone calls.

What would be a good phone to grab for verizon? I only saw the display dummy phone for the v710, and being that it's a dummy phone, it felt cheap, and BIG .. and did i mention cheap?

is it any better (the real product) or is it thin cheap feeling plastic? I hear the internal screen is great though ... please give me more info as I'm going to be signing up with verizon in .. approx 3 months. Any idea if any good non-smartphones are coming down the pike as well? The Samsung A670 looks nice, but it's outdated, and ... at approx 2 years old, will be 3yrs old when i next upgrade the phone. V710 felt cheap and bulky as a dummy phone, but I dunno what else to grab at this point (will be one of those phones unless a razr/slvr comes out soonish) Please PM me if you have the time as I might not remember to check into this thread for quite some time...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Briareus
My current ringtone and wallpaper.

name = appleseed?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 09:17 PM

sony ericsson k700i and ericsson t39
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2005, 09:38 PM

I moved from a solid performing Motorola V60i to a Samsung SGH-X426 flip phone. Compared to the Moto's metal skins and generally excellent performance (particularly for a CDMA phone), the Samsung seemed flimsy. And the computer interface a) only supported Windows, b) was clunky as all get-out, and c) didn't do what I wanted it to do. So since the V60 was "discontinued, and besides it's CDMA," my wife, our son and I all got Motorola V180s. Sure, they're pretty sparse in terms of gee-whiz stuff, but we all three have good cameras so all we needed was "phones." The V180 has a USB interface, works with iSync (AND Windows), and sounds GREAT compared to the Samsung.

I really did look at the RAZR. I would rather spend the money on a Mac Mini, I don't need a phone that's smarter than my son, and their menu system gave me a headache. It looks cool! But it's just not what I need right now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 11:13 PM

link,

check out nokia 8800 and talk about "zen"
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 11:25 PM

BlackBerry 7100t here. Love it so far, after about 3 weeks. Despite all it does, when Moto's iTunes phone comes out, I'll be lusting again and may have to "downgrade..." Giving up features for that iPod-replacing goodness.

The upcoming SLVR V8 from Moto looks pretty hot, too. I much prefer candybars to flips and that thing may just be the perfect phone.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409
name = appleseed?

Forum Links
Forum Rules