Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dog Terrified of thunderstorms

Dog Terrified of thunderstorms
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 10:29 PM

My dog is terrified. Currently on my lap with my laptop- she's 50 lbs, When I'm not here and it storms, she chews the doors and walls destroying them. We are moving to GA where storms are more prevalent. What do I do? Anyone had this problem?

Timan
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 10:36 PM

Can I ask what type of dog is it?

My golden retriever is scared to death of them aswell, she runs up here and lays under my desk, than gets up and wags her tail everytime thunder happens.

Now my sisters **** dog chiwawa, it doesn't faze that dog at all.
- Tim

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

I have 3. A Cairn Terrier, he's fine, chow-rotty, she's fine. My problem child is the Chow shepherd. Seen here in her summer "do"- bald.

( Last edited by KeriVit; Aug 1, 2005 at 10:55 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
she chews the doors and walls destroying them
wtf

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
wtf
US = wooden/plasterboard interior walls, at a guess.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 10:53 PM

Most dogs are scared of thunderstorms. Not sure if it's the thunder or maybe something in the air (electricity?) that upsets them. Dogs are pretty atuned to weather changes.

Give her some comfort but don't let her crawl on you as she will get used to it and expect it every time.

I found a quick little dog treat followed by some ear scratching helps out considerably during a bad storm. A quick walk outside after also helps reassure them that all is indeed fine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 10:57 PM

It's alright when I'm home...I do comfort her, but you should see some of the damage when I'm not. Maybe I'll take pics tomorrow. Yes, wood frames and plaster wall corners are her favorite.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 11:09 PM

If you are gone, consider leaving a radio on. The music and hearing voices helps. Leaving an old towel or t-shirt of yours (not washed) is also something that comforts the dog. The dog can lie on the shirt/towel, smell your scent. Doggie aromatherapy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 11:18 PM

My dog growls and barks at really loud thunder. And the other one runs for my mom and starts shaking.

-Owl

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
It's alright when I'm home...I do comfort her, but you should see some of the damage when I'm not. Maybe I'll take pics tomorrow. Yes, wood frames and plaster wall corners are her favorite.
Hey Keri,
Maybe crating her when you know the weather will be bad while
you're out. Or maybe the vet could give you a mild doggy drug
for her.
Our old pooch had seperation anxiety when she appeared one
day on the ranch - shot full of holes. We nursed her back to health
and the vet offered drugs to help with her issues.
It's almost 6 years since she showed up and she still freaks out
with gun shots, extreme thunder, and fireworks.

Where are ya moving to in GA?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2005, 02:48 AM

We have a lab/greyhoud mix (75 lb.) and a collie (65 lb.) and both are deathly afraid of thunder. They can hear a storm about a 1/2 hour before we ever do. They simply cower and want to cuddle. Neither has ever done damage to the house. The collie likes to tuck her head behind the toilet when storms go through.

They HATE firecrackers with a passion as well.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 02:52 AM

Ours hides in the clothes dryer (if the door's open) ; if not,
the bath tub will do.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 03:02 AM

He's a dog.

boardsurfer
Aug 2, 2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
If you are gone, consider leaving a radio on. The music and hearing voices helps. Leaving an old towel or t-shirt of yours (not washed) is also something that comforts the dog. The dog can lie on the shirt/towel, smell your scent. Doggie aromatherapy.
He took my answer. I've heard that a radio can at least interfere with the sound of the storm so it is not as scary to the dog.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 04:46 AM

Here are some sites that go into detail and give what seems to be good advice.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/mavocatrsy.html

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...erspective.htm

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20p...ndphobias.html

http://www.fhgrr.com/thunder.html

http://www.pawsshelter.org/articles/fearthunder.pdf

(Excerpted from the Paws Shelter site which details what you SHOULD do as well as...)

WHAT NOT TO DO

Attempting to reassure your dog when she is afraid may reinforce her fearful behavior. If you pet, soothe or give treats to her when she is behaving fearfully, she may interpret this as a reward for her fearful behavior.

Instead, try to behave normally, as if you do not notice her fearfulness.

Putting your dog in a crate to prevent her from being destructive during a thunderstorm is not recommended. She will still be afraid when she is in the crate and is likely to injure herself, perhaps even severely, while attempting to get out of the crate.

Do not punish your dog for being afraid. Punishment will only make her more fearful.

Do not try to force your dog to experience or be close to the sound that frightens her. For example, making her stay close to a group of children who are lighting firecrackers will only make her more afraid, and could cause her to become aggressive in an attempt to escape from the situation.

Obedience classes will not make your dog less afraid of thunder or other noises, but could help boost her general confidence.

These approaches do not work because they do not decrease your dog's fear. Merely trying to prevent her from escaping or being destructive will not work. If she is still afraid, she will continue to show that fear in whatever way she can (digging, jumping, climbing, chewing, barking, howling).

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 07:28 AM

Crating is a good idea for any destructive dog and for many dogs in general. It teaches them that they have a safe place that is theirs (do not mix which dog goes in what crate!!!). But before you work toward that, you need to work toward the dog NOT climbing on top of you when he's scared. That takes active soothing during the storm and lots of encouragement and praise during and after the storm. Yes, that means you will be doing not much more than taking care of the dog for a while, but it will help the dog and ultimately help you.

A chow-shepherd mix is going to be a handful! You need to make sure the dog knows who's boss NOW and then work on making the dog feel safe during storms. We have a shepherd-malmute mix we rescued from the pound who was petrified of storms. He still hates them and is affraid, but he's learned that we protect him and take care of him, so he's a lot better now. You need that trusts, but being in charge comes first.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 09:52 AM

Mine is like that also. Any outside noise. He was born on July 4th. Kinda cruel actually as fireworks put the dog into a nervious fit.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 10:55 AM

Give her some alcohol before the storm. Put her to sleep.

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 11:06 AM

What a coincidence. We just had a severe thunderstorm here in Boston, It occurred around 1:30am. The thunder and lightening seemed to occur very close to our house. Also heavy rain. Didn't hear anything from our youngest dog. Our two female Cairn Terriers were quiet, bust just shook. All you can really do is hold them. When we are away they are in crates.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 11:10 AM

Play heavy metal (spinal tap or may be Iron maiden may be) real loud all the time and hope that the dog gets used to it and the thunder.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JustAnOl'Broad
Hey Keri,
Maybe crating her when you know the weather will be bad while
you're out. Or maybe the vet could give you a mild doggy drug
for her.

Where are ya moving to in GA?
I'm afraid she will hurt herself trying to destroy the crate. I know this dog and she can be quite violent. Plus, I'd have to crate all of them- and at 8, 9 and 10 years each- they are used to their freedom. She tends to pick fights with the chow-rotty (and loses) but it can be nasty. The sedative sounds like a better idea, just no way of knowing when the storms might hit unless I keep her sedated all the time. We sometimes give her benadryl to curb her fighting instinct...

We are moving to Savannah, GA in the winter.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 11:33 AM

Thanks- lots of stuff to review there. Will do.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter

A chow-shepherd mix is going to be a handful! You need to make sure the dog knows who's boss NOW and then work on making the dog feel safe during storms. We have a shepherd-malmute mix we rescued from the pound who was petrified of storms. He still hates them and is affraid, but he's learned that we protect him and take care of him, so he's a lot better now. You need that trusts, but being in charge comes first.
We've had Annie for 6 years (the first 2 sporadic because her owner couldn't care for her). Unfortunately her "boss" alpha mom is the one in Iraq. I lost that position a long time ago. Fine that we have an alpha, but it's hard for me in the meantime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules