Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Coverflow

Coverflow
boyface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 01:39 PM

Oh, for a Delicious Library interface like this:

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2006, 08:29 PM

Can't say much for Coverflow as an interface, per se. Right now you can select individual tracks, let alone get any info about an album. But for browsing through a catalogue...man it looks cool.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 02:26 PM

it would be kool if you clicked on the album and the jewel case opened up, displaying the list of songs on the left side of the open case. then you could select the song and play it like that?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 03:55 PM

unfortunately coverflow seems to cripple my system whenever I start it up - I don't think it's particularly memory secure!

I have a 1GHz TiBook with 512Mb Ram - not amazing but still, to show 300 small pictures...

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2006, 12:14 AM

That looks really cool, but even if you COULD do that with a thousand or more titles (memory issues aside), would you really want to?

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2006, 02:46 AM

performance shouldn't be the issue, as it handles the 1329 albums in my iTunes collection quite well. (although on a brand new iMac).

but interface-wise while the metaphore makes sense for records, but i can't see myself browsing through a book-collection like that. after all I don't want to scan thousands of book-spines just to get a nice effect.

you are right Delciious Monster, that is not the way to go.
( Last edited by :haripu:; Jun 18, 2006 at 04:31 AM. )

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:09 PM

Agreed. For CD art it looks pretty spectacular and a great way to choose your music. I can't see a need to access book info that way. Coverflow's great for what it is--I hope he keeps developing it.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

mdotcheung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 09:04 PM

Coverflow's recent integration into iTunes echoes what Steve Jobs said during the special event - "Allows you to re-discover your music".
In other words, you browse through the artwork, think "hey, I remember that funky tune on this album" then you click to listen to it.
It also works with iTunes' other commerical offerings, like movies and shows, where you can click to the chapter you're recalling.

But I dont really think that would apply to books as such. Unless they're eBooks, then you might wanna flick through and recall a hilarious quote. But since most books scanned in are paper-based, you can't do that.
Games too would have limited appeal, as it means TOTAL integration with every game, and i wouldnt expect Delicious Monster to use their time on that.

So yeah, its a gorgeous visual effect, but IMHO not really beneficial for DL.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 03:13 AM

Serious kudos to that guy for getting his stuff into iTunes 7. That's got to be good for the ego, not to mention the résumé.

Forum Links
Forum Rules