Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > OMG!!! Water Damage!! on my Iphone!!!!

OMG!!! Water Damage!! on my Iphone!!!!
cr18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 11:17 PM

Now the touch screen wont recognize input!!! what do i do!!??? can they find out and not fix it?

steamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 02:27 AM

eBay it

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 03:49 AM

Let it dry out, then take it in for warranty, saying "it stopped working." Chances are they'll replace it on the spot.

They even gave a guy who accidentally broke his screen a new one on the spot.

At this stage of the honeymoon period, I don't think Apple wants any reports of damage or unhappy customers to tarnish the halo (think of the damage Engadget did when they blew out the Nano scratching beyond all proportion).

PS DON'T EVEN THINK OF EBAYING IT! That's unethical. I would expect better from a Mac user.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 05:00 AM

What happened?

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
PS DON'T EVEN THINK OF EBAYING IT! That's unethical. I would expect better from a Mac user.
I don't see what's wrong with Ebaying it. People ebay broken stuff on ebay all the time. Just type in broken iPod and you'll get tons of results.

You can just ebay it saying "broken iphone. sold as is." nothing wrong with that.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 07:48 AM

Cell phones - because they often land in the laundry - have humidity indicator dots inside that permanently change colour when they get wet. Does the iPhone have those as well?

cr18  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 07:57 AM

I really regret buying an iPhone, knowing how clumsy of a person I am and how delicate a piece of hardware it is! I slipped into the banks of a creek on my 4th of july!! Im just wondering how thoroughly they'll investigate the reason behind its malfunction.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 08:52 AM

some phones have a sensor type thing inside which changes color when wet.
my friend's phone had never been wet before and she sent it for a screen repair, they told her the "sensor" thing showedwater damage and wouldn't repair it.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 10:09 AM

Ditto on the humidity sensor. I dropped my RAZR in the bathtub and when I opened it up there was a white paper dot that quickly turned red from the moisture. I took it apart and let it dry as well as I could. Let the iPhone dry. You can't really take it apart so easily but give it 24-48 hours and see what happens. You'll still be within that "honeymoon" period.

Good luck!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 10:15 AM

return it
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

vln2
Jul 5, 2007, 10:21 AM

cr18  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 10:24 AM

Wish me luck everyone! I'm off to the apple store to see if I can get this replaced.. I pray to god the iPhone is too delicate for employees to crack open and inspect in the store!

I'll report back later and let everyone know!

CadetStimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 10:31 AM

The issue now is gonna be whether or not they've got any left to replace it with. As of Tuesday, half the Apple stores and all of the Cingular/AT&T stores were completely out of stock.
Scott :)

cr18  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies! I did as michaelb suggested and went back to the apple store and played dumb. They replaced my iPhone with a new one and i was sent on my way no questions asked! Case Closed!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 12:35 PM

yay team
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2007, 12:49 PM

I'm not entirely sure I approve, but I can't really blame you either. How did they go about switching your AT&T account over to the new phone? I understand that it's more complex than just swapping SIMS.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 01:47 PM

Given the enormous profit Apple makes on these things ($250+), I'm not surprised at their generosity early on. The iMac was the new beginning in the 90's for Apple and the iPhone works the same way now.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

cr18  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm not entirely sure I approve, but I can't really blame you either. How did they go about switching your AT&T account over to the new phone? I understand that it's more complex than just swapping SIMS.
From how I understood it, the employee who helped me out swapped out my old sim and put it in the new iPhone, from there he forced at&t to activate the phone from the store.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 04:24 PM

I found a dead pixel on my iPhone screen the day after I got it (day after iDay). I brought it in and they promptly exchanged it. They swapped the SIM card and sent me home to activate it (which consisted of docking it and clicking one button). I then resynced it and all is well.

I friggin love Apple.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 04:30 PM

This is the problem with having no insurance--ATT charges $5/month for phone insurance, but the iPhone doesn't qualify.

So how are folks gonna insure against loss or theft?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
This is the problem with having no insurance--ATT charges $5/month for phone insurance, but the iPhone doesn't qualify.

So how are folks gonna insure against loss or theft?
We don't really know yet what Apple Care will cover when Apple releases it for the iPhone. I have a feeling that's why its not ready yet. If it was going to cover the same way it covers the iPod I think it would have been available on day one.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
We don't really know yet what Apple Care will cover when Apple releases it for the iPhone. I have a feeling that's why its not ready yet. If it was going to cover the same way it covers the iPod I think it would have been available on day one.
I think it is safe to say that Applecare isn't insurance - it is an extended warranty. I can pretty much guarantee that it won't cover any sort of accidental damage (just like the current Applecare you can get with other Apple products).

I might be willing to pay 5 or 10 bucks a month to cover the risk of accidental damage if they offered it.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 08:50 PM

If Apple were going to offer Applecare for the iPhone, I think they would've had it out by now. I'm afraid they're not going to offer an extended warranty, just as other mobiles don't have extended warranties...

Anybody called Safeware for a quote?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2007, 09:02 PM

Actually I asked about Applecare on the phone when I bought my iPhone at the Apple Store in Grand Rapids, MI. They told me that it wasn't available yet, but it would be available in July (he gave a date, but I can't remember what it was - probably mid-late July). I think he said the price would be $69, and it was good for 2 years (from the original date of phone sale).

I wish I was listening better rather than staring, glassy-eyed at the phone.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 11:01 PM

UNOFFICIAL WORD ON ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE ON IPHONE:

(got from from an Apple Store insider) Don't expect Apple to cover all your iPhone problems indefinitely. And don't expect them to swap them out instantly each time either. Apple has given the Apple Stores a mandate to "capture" EVERY problem iPhone for about 2 weeks from the release. That means, Apple will take back ANY iPhone with a verified problem (not just customer non-satisfaction) for this time period. So if you crack the screen or have dead pixels, or etc... make sure you get it to an Apple Store before these two weeks are up. Basically, at the beginning of a product release, Apple tends to have the stores "capture" problem products to send back to Apple engineering to see what problems there are, and see whether they are manufacturing related or, etc. With the iPhone release though, Apple has upped this about 50 times what they normally do for a product release.

So, while the service is above and beyond right now... don't expect Apple to just give you a new iPhone when you drop your iPhone on the cement a few months from now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2007, 04:08 AM

AppleCare for the iPhone will be out in July. It's $69 for two years. (AppleStore > Warranty)

AppleCare isn't insurance, it's warranty extension. If you're clumsy either get additional private insurance or start paying attention.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 03:39 PM

I'd be waiting until the very end of the one-year original Applecare to get a sense as to whether there's likely to be problems.

I'm more wondering about theft and damage insurance?

Edit: just saw the following story about whether Safeware is going to jump into the breach to cover the iphone--if they did, it'd cost $85/year.

Macworld: News: Insurer may jump in to cover iPhones
( Last edited by amazing; Jul 7, 2007 at 03:47 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 06:19 PM

Jeez, you people are clumsy. You should take better care of your $500 and $600 iPhones.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 06:31 PM

My old Cell went swimming with me one day(i dove in a pool and forgot i had the phone) and it stopped working. one week later it just started up and works like a charm. I'm not sure if it just had to dry or whatever but i was lucky.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 09:39 PM

Well you could take it back and explain it to them.

Might want to see what protection your credit card provides for purchases, they often insure against damage for a period of time.

Other than that, buy a new one if you liked it.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 01:13 AM

If Apple were going to offer Applecare for the iPhone, I think they would've had it out by now. I'm afraid they're not going to offer an extended warranty, just as other mobiles don't have extended warranties...

Anybody called Safeware for a quote?
They told me that they are aware of the iPhone but they have yet to set a plan for pricing. But they will soon
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 11:53 PM

Here in Panama, humidity goes from 80 to 89 % as a normal rate, for what you have said I wonder if the humidity thingie changes color just after you walk a few meter with your phone : )

Roland

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
Given the enormous profit Apple makes on these things ($250+), I'm not surprised at their generosity early on.
The numbers you quote cover PARTS, not assembly, packaging, marketing, shipping, import taxes, and personnel, etc.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 06:47 PM

That little sticker that changes color when wet. I've always called it the "F*CK YOU" sticker. Since it will change color if kept in a sweaty pocket, like (in my first case) at a outdoor concert on a hot day. The second time was in a moist pocket snowboarding. No damage to the phone, but the sticker changed just enough so that when I had a legit problem a few months later, it wasn't covered. I got f*cked by that sticker.
Serioiusly, if you take your phone into the bathroom on a hot sticky day, leave it on the counter while showering, it will probably change color. I learned on my third phone to cover it up with tape, effectivly sealing it. Too bad that won't work on the iPhone (if it even has one).
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

scubus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Let it dry out, then take it in for warranty, saying "it stopped working." Chances are they'll replace it on the spot.
...and I suppose this is ethical?
Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch
Liberty: a well armed sheep expressing his rights.
Anarchy: a planet full of well-armed sheep who all claim to be expressing their 'rights'.

drfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 02:51 PM

Ethical, well no. But if you dont think apple is prepared to to evaluate every repair that arrives on a case by case basis then you might be fooling yourself. After all this is not the first electronic device apple had made.

Wether its ethical or not, people are still going to try and have it fixed.

The truth is with water damage, as soon as you take apart the phone there will still be a trace of water marks if not corrosion on the contacts were the chips meet the board.
Even if you get lucky and dry it out, and it works. The corrosion might start getting bad enough that 7 months down the road it will stop working.

Im not saying this to be an @$s, its just the facts that I have seen working on pagers, phones, and laptops over the years.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 04:37 PM

So, Applecare is available for the iPhone. The battery seems to be covered for the first year, so will it be covered when you buy the additional coverage? I'm inclined to say, "not likely!"

How very unlike Apple to not have Applecare available for sale with the original product! How much revenue did Apple miss out on? Will people remember to buy before their first year is up?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2007, 04:42 PM

So, Applecare is available for the iPhone. The battery seems to be covered for the first year, so will it be covered when you buy the additional coverage? I'm inclined to say, "not likely!" ?
Why? iPod batteries are covered by Applecare.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 09:45 PM

Are they really? Wow, if iPhone batteries are covered for the additional 2 years, then the overblown battery "issue" vanishes like the chimera that it always was.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2007, 10:09 PM

They are covered, although you should note that Applecare on iPods only extends the warranty for an additional year, for a total of 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules