Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iChat Video Crashes with Upgraded G4 Processor

iChat Video Crashes with Upgraded G4 Processor
gjb42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 04:32 PM

I installed the Encore/ST G4 1.8 GHz processor a couple of days ago. Everything seems to work fine except my iChat. I just tried to use it will another Mac user in Scotland. We video talk every few days and are both old Mac users back to the 1980s. Before the speed upgrade, there never was a problem with iChat. IChat started quitting unexpectedly after less than one minute of video conservation. I reconnected the video call 4 times and iChat continued to crash in less than a minute. I also had the person in Scotland call me, instead of me calling her, iChat still crashed. When I was running this G4 APG Graphics at 400 MHz, iChat never quit unexpectedly. This new speed of 1.8 GHz may be the problem?
Has anyone seen this problem before?
Any suggestions? Thanks
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Tom Robbins, 1980

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 09:42 PM

It could be that the video is working your CPU and it's getting too hot but it would make more sense for it to kernel panic. What do some of the crash logs say? You could have bad RAM.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 10:19 PM

More than likely it's an overheating problem. I have a 533 Digital Audio that I put an Encore 1.4 7457 in that would overheat, causing programs to crash. The old graphite G4 towers just weren't made to handle the heat put out by the upgrades, no matter what Sonnet or whoever tells you. I had to cut a hole in the top of my case, and mount an exhaust fan. No more overheating.

Leave the case cracked, and see if that helps, or solves the problem.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 07:44 AM

Increasing the cpu speed by 4.5x DOES produce way more heat than the case was designed to handle, no doubt about it. The REAL solution is to add more airflow. Been there, done that with a Sawtooth 450-to-1ghz upgrade!

One good way to do this is to replace the very low speed 120mm OEM fan with a better one that puts out more air at a faster rate (cubic feet per minute or cfm) This is an easy, $15-$20, 10 minute job!

Adding additional fans will help also, but is a bit more involved.......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

gjb42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the support. The Encore/ST G4 1.8 GHz processor card was replaced by the manufacture. They suspected a faulty card. While waiting for the new to arrive I took all the overheating advice to heart. I removed the fan that blows on the mother board and processor. The fan blades were caked with dust. I super cleaned fan till it was spotless. Then I notice where the fan sat against the back wall, there was about 20 small holes. At first it appeared to look like a filter. Then as I poke around, I discovered it was CAKED DUST blocking empty holes. These holes are most likely the intake air for the fan. I super cleaned all these intake holes.

The new processor arrived a week ago, installed it, no crashes!

Thanks again heating advice.
gary
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Tom Robbins, 1980

leanest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2007, 02:55 PM

Have you found a solution for this? I have also been dealing with similar errors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules