Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > recent uk powerbook orders

recent uk powerbook orders
halki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 01:35 AM

Has anyone ordered the 15" powerbook recently in the uk. if so whats your shipping date.
I ordered one from an Apple reseller in Cardiff on 8th October and I have not been told when it will ship. The guy in the store says he is waiting for a web order number from apple and then they can track it. He also says he wont give me the web order number to track it myself. Is this normal.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 07:39 AM

I ordered 2 days after the paris expo and i could of had it by now if i didn't cancel it 2 weeks ago.

Now i have reordered and it will take 3 weeks to arrive.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Blackstealth
Oct 20, 2003, 08:18 AM

I ordered mine (15" 1.25Ghz) the day after the Expo. It arrived this morning - 34 days after I placed the order.

But it was definitely worth the wait!
It's arrived - 15" PB 1.25Ghz - Damn is this a fine machine!

sguys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 12:09 PM

I ordered my PB15 1GHZ + airpotrt extreme card on sept 23rd and got it last wednesday (15th oct) i phoned apple a number of times asking what the delay was and was first told there was a 25,000 backlog of PB15's. i was later told it was a problem with an airport part and that was the reason for the delay.

you should also qualify for a free panther upgrade which costs �15 (delivery cost) just phone apple on 0800 039 10 10 and quote your serial number.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by halki:
Has anyone ordered the 15" powerbook recently in the uk. if so whats your shipping date.
I ordered one from an Apple reseller in Cardiff on 8th October and I have not been told when it will ship. The guy in the store says he is waiting for a web order number from apple and then they can track it. He also says he wont give me the web order number to track it myself. Is this normal.
I'm from and live in Cardiff (well just outside at the moment!!)

Cool to have someone else from the Principality on the boards!

Which reseller did you go to? I had a similar issue with one (the only one, Caerphilly Road?) a few months ago with a G5 order... Ended up canceling and going to Apple direct.

If it is them, I have ordered from them and bought from them before, and they are reputable, but I had issues with the ordering process...

If you are a student, you can get a much better discount by going direct to Apple at the HE department... they offer an additional 5-10% off over any reseller.

Peace,

Marc

halki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I'm from and live in Cardiff (well just outside at the moment!!)

Cool to have someone else from the Principality on the boards!

Which reseller did you go to? I had a similar issue with one (the only one, Caerphilly Road?) a few months ago with a G5 order... Ended up canceling and going to Apple direct.

If it is them, I have ordered from them and bought from them before, and they are reputable, but I had issues with the ordering process...

If you are a student, you can get a much better discount by going direct to Apple at the HE department... they offer an additional 5-10% off over any reseller.

Peace,

Marc

Hi mate. yeah I went to the reseller on caerphily road. They sold me a 15" powerbook for �1834 on student discount with a free sleeve and game. The price on the Apple education store is �1837. Could i have got a better price elsewhere.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by halki:
Hi mate. yeah I went to the reseller on caerphily road. They sold me a 15" powerbook for �1834 on student discount with a free sleeve and game. The price on the Apple education store is �1837. Could i have got a better price elsewhere.
Assuming you have gone for the standard 15" Superdrive, you may be able to get a better deal with Apple direct...

Call Apple on 0800 039 1515 and specifically ask for the 'Higher Education Dept'. They sometimes don't want to put you through and put you through to the ordinary Education Dept, so you have to be persistent!

The HE Dept offers another % discount over and above the online Apple Education store...

I called myself yesterday about a 15" Combo model as I was thinking about upgrading my TiBook, and they offered it to me for �1375 instead of the �1471 that is on the Edu page...

They also offered just over �100 off the online Education price of the G5s.

On average I think they can usually do about a further �100 off the Online Edu prices...

They also do good reductions on peripherals and other things if you buy them all together with a machine... e.g. you can still get the �150 off an already HE reduced iPod as well as the extra �100 off the main price of the Powerbook, so you could eaisly make a killing!

Well worth a look.

Good luck with it!

Marc

P.S. Are you at Uni in Cardiff?

halki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 04:22 PM

I will give them a ring tommorow. Just finished in college. I was in Glamorgan University. I'm getting a mate to buy it for me.
Thanks for the info

Forum Links
Forum Rules