Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > G4 with Internet Sharing On and Airport Express

G4 with Internet Sharing On and Airport Express
macndave
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2004, 08:16 PM

I am house sitting the next couple of weeks for a friend who has a G4 connected to a cable modem by ethernet. I am able to shared her broadband connection wireless by turning on Internet Sharing (Firewall and 128 bit encyption - On, Personal File sharing - Off ).

I brought along an Airport Express, which I was only able to set up to stream music to her JBL Stereo system (her husband had their house wired for stereo speakers in each room, so I am able to broadcast my music throughout the house, which is very nice).

The problem: I could get the Airport Express to recognize the wireless network, but I couldn't get the Airport to broadcast Airtunes, unless I set the Airport Express up as a basestation. So, I can't be connected to the internet and stream music at the same time.
I know that Airport Express is able to recognize a 802.11b wireless network to stream music (but not extend the network), but it doesn't seem to work when the access point is another Mac - not an actual basestation.

So, for now it is choose one access point for internet access and another to stream music. Can't have internet access and streaming music to stereo at the same time.

Anyone tried what I am attempting to accomplish? Get it to work?

At my house, I have two Airport Expresses, one connect to a cable modem and my stereo downstairs, and the other connected to a USB printer, extending the network upstairs. This set up was no problem.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Forum Links
Forum Rules