Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 1.67 15" PB missing RAM slot!

New 1.67 15" PB missing RAM slot!
KevinV916
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 05:04 PM

I just happened to go into my system profiler yesterday and noticed that I only have 1 of my RAM slots. It used to show all 1.5Gigs. I have the default 512M in the lower slot with a 1G from newegg in the upper slot. Switching the two around changes the available memory on the system to 512MB so it's not a problem with the RAM itself. Running the hardware tests runs fine.. it passes with the 1G stick in the available slot. It just doesn't even see the lower slot. System profiler shows the lower slot to be empty.

Has anyone else had this issue with the new PBs?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 07:10 PM

Not mine... both are in use and seen.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 07:42 PM

ill tell you on friday when my 1gig stick comes in.

i only have a 1.5ghz new 15" tho.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by KevinV916:
I just happened to go into my system profiler yesterday and noticed that I only have 1 of my RAM slots. It used to show all 1.5Gigs. I have the default 512M in the lower slot with a 1G from newegg in the upper slot. Switching the two around changes the available memory on the system to 512MB so it's not a problem with the RAM itself. Running the hardware tests runs fine.. it passes with the 1G stick in the available slot. It just doesn't even see the lower slot. System profiler shows the lower slot to be empty.

Has anyone else had this issue with the new PBs?
Yes, I am dealing with this problem now. My pb is in the shop now being repaired. Your pb is still under warranty, so just bring it in to an apple store to be repaired.

KevinV916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 09:19 AM

Apple's sending me a box to ship the PB back to them since I don't have an Apple store nearby. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it back.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by KevinV916:
Apple's sending me a box to ship the PB back to them since I don't have an Apple store nearby. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it back.
Is there a service center near you? All the Apple stores do with laptops most of the time is just ship it off anyhow. An actual service center in your area might be able to do the work locally. I've used my local service center and had great results with the white spot issue. They looked at the screen, said they would order a new one, and let me keep the unit since it was still usable. Part came in the next day, I brought the system back, and they had it replaced in 20 minutes.
<This space under renovation>

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2005, 08:51 PM

Got my powerbook back. They had to replace the logic board since the memory slots are stuck onto it. Works fine now!

KevinV916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 08:13 PM

Awesome! Glad everything worked out for you. I need to wait a week or so before I can send it back. Hopefully it'll get fixed as quick as yours.

Thanks for the replies.

Leo the 3rd
Apr 10, 2005, 12:17 AM

Yeah, reading the now locked thread in Apple's forum for the PB G4 Aluminum 15", there appear to be quite a few folks who's lower slot has failed. Mine just failed recently (purchased last March 18, 2004 with AppleCare), so I will be taking it to the local shop to ship it off (again - had to have white spots repaired in display) for repair. Glad I followed the advice of getting AppleCare. While in repair I'll use a Mac mini that I got as a backup machine - it'll do the trick to maintain websites I manage.

KevinV916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 01:44 PM

Well, just an update...

I shipped my powerbook off and Apple received it on March 22. They came to the same conclusion that it needed a new logic board.

Here we are on 4-12 and the powerbook is still on hold - awaiting part. 16 business days later and still no progress on the repair.

Apple's service is seriously lacking for these new powerbooks.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 01:08 PM

same issue here - they replaced my logic board.

one thing you may want to do before sending yours in for repair is to deauthorize your itunes music account. i guess these are stored on your logic board, so when i got mine back i was one authorization short. i got it sorted out with some e-mails back and forth from itunes support, but it's a hassle worth avoiding if you can.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

osxisfun
Apr 13, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by benwhanlee:
same issue here - they replaced my logic board.

one thing you may want to do before sending yours in for repair is to deauthorize your itunes music account. i guess these are stored on your logic board, so when i got mine back i was one authorization short. i got it sorted out with some e-mails back and forth from itunes support, but it's a hassle worth avoiding if you can.
good point.

also, backup your data of course.

and as others have posted, take out your ram if its 3rd party.

Leo the 3rd
Apr 14, 2005, 03:22 PM

Well had my logic board replaced at the Apple Store by the Genuis Bar. Well I got it back today and in the About This Mac, when I click on the Version info to see the Serial Number, there isn't a serial number showing. I got into System Profiler and it's the same - no serial number. Not sure if this will cause any issues. I'm calling AppleCare support to see what needs to be done. Everything else is fine - all my memory is back and the system is running great. Just a small snafu. I'll post back what the resolution is in the event someone else runs into this problem.
( Last edited by Leo the 3rd; Apr 14, 2005 at 03:27 PM. Reason: additional text)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 03:27 PM

I think that's normal when your logic board gets replaced. It has been reported several times.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2005, 04:08 PM

Mine are both showing up but this does not mean that it won't happen, right? I have heard its from the heat so does this mean it can happen eventually? I just bought this little lady a month ago or so and it would make me sad to have to send it in.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Forum Links
Forum Rules