Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OH NO! What have I done?!

OH NO! What have I done?!
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 09:54 PM

I really did it this time. I was trying to upgrade my iMac 333 to Panther. It's running 10.1.5 now. It wouldn't run the Upgrade Disk in OS X (kept telling me to restart to install but never started the install) so I thought, hey, why not try to install it in OS 9 (I'll try anything once)? So I rebooted in OS 9 but it said it couldn't restart using the Upgrade Disk. So I tried to outsmart it by selecting the disk in the Startup control Panel. Now when I restart the iMac it gives a small folder w/a "?" in it for a brief second, then the "?" is replaced by the Finder icon - still in a little folder in the center of the screen. I have to push the little reset button on the side of the iMac in order to restart. I've tried booting from the original Install SW iMac disc (holding down "c") and holding down the option key while restarting (to get the startup page) all to no avail.

Anybody know how to fix this?

only120xs
Sep 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

You could try zapping your pram (command-option-p-r I think), or you could try this:
http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=2016

kick52
Baninated
Sep 3, 2005, 05:08 AM

what specs are ur mac??

if you try to upgrade it to panther with less than 128mb ram, it wont install or even boot to the disc.

I dont really know what ur saying...
are you saying that the mac displays the flashing ? then turns to the little guy and stays like that? if so, leave it like that.

you could try going into open firmware.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 03:26 PM

Zapped the pram and now everything's okay. Thank god cause I wasn't too eager to get into the firmware. Thanks for the help.

As for the problem loading Panther, I don't know what the deal is w/that. The iMac has 288 MB now and I've updated the firmware - though this is kind of odd. I think I updated when I added OS 10.1.5, but I downloaded the upgrade again just to make sure. When I activate the installer in OS X it opens in Classic and then a pop up window says, "iMac Firmware Updater is for use with the iMac only and will not run on this computer."

If I reboot in OS 9.2 and launch the updater, it says, "The iMac Firmware Updater does not recognize the firmware on your iMac and cannot perform an update. It's possible that you have a newer firmware version."

I'm trying to load Firmware Update 1.2. I don't think there's a newer one (this is the most recent update listed on Apple.com for my machine). So I don't know what to think...

EDIT: Okay, I just figured out how to check my firmware version: The "Boot ROM Version" reads 3.0.f3. I have no ideal what this is or where it came from. Did a search here and others have had the same issue.
( Last edited by krx; Sep 3, 2005 at 03:52 PM. )

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 04:53 PM

Here is the link to a thread here that addresses this same issue. It says, "You can boot into open firmware by holding the command _option _o _f _keys at startup. If it showsBuild date April 23, 1999 then you have the Firmware 1.2 which is latest version currently available from APPLE. If yours shows an earlier date you need the update. It is possible you may have a later version if you computer was serviced by an APPLE tech at some time ............. although I have not seen a later version on a 266 MHz iMac come across these forums. But it is a common occurance with the 333 iMacs.

The Firmware 1.2 will show boot rom version 3.0.f2 in the Apple System Profiler.

There has been much confusion about firmware and boot rom versions because a later firmware version for some tray-load iMacs will show boot rom version 3.0.f3 which is the same as what shows for a much earlier version of firmware. The best way to check is by looking at the build date. ------ Or --- if things are working properly you can attempt the 1.2 update and [if you have a newer version] it will give error and dialog box stating the firmware on this machine is not recognized."

My build date is 7/16/99 so maybe it's a later version than 1.2. Hard to know...

only120xs
Sep 3, 2005, 06:41 PM

Glad I could be of service

Forum Links
Forum Rules