Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new to DVD-R DL

new to DVD-R DL
edge.it
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 11:27 AM

on my lunch break in an hour or so im headed out to best buy to get some blank DVD-Rs. i have lost touch with DVD tech over the past few years so im not to sure if there are any key things i should keep in mind when shopping.

i have a new MAC PRO 2.66 x 2. and am using toast titanium 8. i have over 200GB of raw DV footage im going to be burning and wana get the best quality and most amt. of GBs i can.

DOUBLE LAYER correct?

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 03:36 PM

The quality is dependant on the way you compress it, not on the dvd media. However, a DL disc will hold twice as much than a single layer disc, so you'll need to burn half as many discs. With 200 GB, I'd go for the DL, as it still comes out over 20 discs. That said, you'll pay notably more for the DL discs...

danman
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 07:14 PM

I think the maximum file size is 2GB, so you can't fit an 8GB file on 1 disc.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 01:10 AM

unfortunatly while you get ~2x as much data on a DL most stores charge more than 2x as much for them so its a tradeoff, plus most DL discs that are cheap are no faster than 4x so it takes longer to burn as well

Forum Links
Forum Rules