Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes Red Cross Donations for Haiti - A Challenge

iTunes Red Cross Donations for Haiti - A Challenge
ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2010, 11:01 AM

Who else has donated to the Red Cross through the iTunes Store? I'd like to challenge everyone here to donate whatever you can afford. Making a big difference starts with making a small difference and then getting others to build on that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 11:49 AM

I already donated directly to Partners in Health before the iTunes/Red Cross thing went live. But it’s great that there are so many ridiculously easy ways to donate popping up now: text, Amazon account, iTunes account. If you haven’t done it yet, I encourage people to go for it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2010, 12:29 PM

I'm not a fan of the national American Red Cross. My mother's been involved in non-profit businesses for as long as I can remember (e.g. working full time), and the national organization is apparently not a particularly good place - corruption, lack of ethics, dishonesty, etc. If I had any money to spare, I'd send it elsewhere, to Doctors Without Borders or something.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 12:57 PM

I am a big fan of the Red Cross (and, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm on the Board of Directors for my local chapter). The Red Cross is a huge organization, and not without its problems, but I'd be interested to know if you can cite actual instances of corruption and dishonesty, or if this is just anecdotal.

I don't tell people where to donate their money. There are plenty of good organizations out there helping in Haiti, so pick the one that suits you the best. I can tell you that the Red Cross has been and will be one of the most effective organizations for providing aid in global disasters like Haiti. Not perfect, but very effective.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 16, 2010, 01:44 PM

Frankly I don't care where someone donates, as long as they choose an organization that they can trust. The Red Cross has helped my family several times, and while they got quite a black eye because of Katrina, much of that was because FEMA kept them out of the disaster areas for some unknown reason. I'm also fond of "Not On My Watch," an organization set up by George Clooney, Brad Pitt and others. I like the philosophy behind the name...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 16, 2010, 10:08 PM

Done.

Thanks for posting this ghporter. I've seen a lot of the text to donate options but wasn't aware of this option.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2010, 12:32 AM

I've lost trust in the Red Cross, which is a shame. Too many scandals, too much money wasted.

My money is going to Doctors without borders, who are not only doing excellent work, they are also incredibly transparent about money and where it is going.

lexapro
Baninated
Jan 17, 2010, 01:29 AM

Please donate to Partners in Health. They have been in Haiti for many years running medical operations. The money will be immediately used for medical aid.

Welcome

Forum Links
Forum Rules