Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Living With: Keynote 6.6.1 (OS X)

Living With: Keynote 6.6.1 (OS X)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 25, 2016, 01:27 PM

This will not be your usual "Living With" column where someone who has reviewed a product before will follow-up with some further real-world experiences of up to a year later. For starters, we never did a "Hands On" for Keynote, at least not in that column form, and as far as a quick search can tell we've never done a formal review. We've just lived with it for many years -- 13, as it turns out -- and it is so much part and parcel of the way we do presentations (and we do a lot of them) that it is a bit like running reviews of your furniture.

We have covered Keynote in other ways, of course -- reporting on new versions, offering Pointers on how to get more out of it, tips for using the program on your Apple Watch and on iCloud, and more. We even did a Hands On for arch-rival and forerunner PowerPoint 2016, but not Keynote -- even when it got a pretty radical makeover as part of the updating of the entire suite formerly known as iWork for OS X and iOS in 2013. So this will not be the usual update on a previous review that notes either increased admiration or reduced esteem after so long working with it; this will be a full-on love letter.

Simply put, Keynote is the best all-around presentation program around. There are others that are more powerful, like PowerPoint, and flashier, like FotoMagico, both of which are well worth checking out, and which may suit your needs more than Keynote, but nonetheless Keynote still remains -- as it has been from nearly day one -- the general-purpose, best all-around tool for presenting slides on a Mac or iOS device. I have been using it for classes and other presentations for more than 10 years now, and before it (and occasionally since) I used PowerPoint and others. So I've tried the rest, and generally stick with the best.

What makes Keynote so good?

Considering that its roots come from Concurrence -- a program Apple co-founder Steve Jobs used for keynote presentations before Keynote existed, and which was originally written for OpenStep/NeXTStep -- Keynote's greatest strength and the main factor that makes it better for most users than PowerPoint is, simply put, the home field advantage. It's a Mac program, written for the Mac (later for iOS as well), and takes full advantage of current Mac features and design thinking (the latter of which caused some brief consternation, but that storm seems to have passed).

Keynote 5, with the awful Inspector palette
Keynote 5, with the awful Inspector palette

Originally, Keynote was a simplified, focused cousin to PowerPoint that had been designed by people who had taste, and made over to feature beautifully-designed templates, tasteful styles and font options -- and the features that really won me over, the ones that made me put PowerPoint aside because at the time it didn't have it: automatic guides and centering, position-aware copy and paste, and (finally!) a true dissolve transition (halleleujah, no more blocky Atari-style PowerPoint "dissolve"). You still see that joke of a dissolve on PowerPoint slideshows today, and its just a flashback to the 90s for me every time.

I confess now, however, that I was never a big fan of the AppleWorks-meets-Macromedia "inspector" that previous versions of Keynote used. I always felt it was a lot of extra clicking to shift around the area of controls that I needed, and the Inspector would hide behind things on my then-crowded screen. That said, the drag-and-drop nature of handling images and media and the aforementioned auto-guides ensured I would be a fan. When a later update brought in the ability to build basic animations and moving transitions, which again was painless compared to other programs at the time, it kicked the level of the presentations up a notch.

Keynote 6 with a contextual sidebar
Keynote 6 with a contextual sidebar

From the first time I started regularly using Keynote for presentations, you could tell immediately if people were expected YAPPPP -- yet another pointless PowerPoint presentation -- with Times and Helvetica fonts, 50 types of transitions, and deathly dull backgrounds. This leads me to an important tip I learned early on that I will gladly pass on to slideshow presenters everywhere: your audience can read. Don't repeat the text you put on the slide, expound on it and supplement it instead. Occasionally reiterating a point verbatim from a bullet point on a slide is one thing, reading them the full text of an overly wordy slide is alienating and dull. Don't do it.

One last little "trick" -- you can, as I often do, use one completed presentation to start a newer one, but it's important that you remember one important thing: duplicate. Unlike most other programs you use, Keynote features auto-saving, and will faithfully and automatically and without telling you change the saved version of your old presentation as you make changes to it to make it into a new one (you can change this in settings, but you'll forget -- as I have for at least three years running).

Luckily, you can always revert back to the "original" version you opened, but to avoid any accidental overwriting of your previous work (assuming you want to save it), get in the habit of doing this: open the old presentation you want to use as a basis for a new one, choose "duplicate" from the file menu, and a second version will open. Click on the title bar, and change the title to what the new one should be called. Now you can close the "old" one, and start altering the new one, safe in the knowledge that you're not destroying old work as you go.

Leveling up to iOS and 64-bit

In late 2013, Apple decided that it needed to radically restructure its entire suite of what used to be called the iWork apps -- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. The reasons were incredibly solid -- the app needed to be able to run as 64-bit applications, written to modern specifications and able to leverage newer Mac technologies now and in the future, and Apple decided that it also needed a version for iOS and a web-based version that was as similar as possible to the desktop version.

This was, and remains, a very good idea -- but as often happens, Apple couldn't do this kind of massive renovation on the apps and keep all the features that had been added to Keynote over the previous five versions. Thus, for just under a year, the iWork apps were missing some features -- not the major ones, but lots of little ones that had lots of fans -- most of which have been slowly put back over the course of several updates. While some will disagree with me, at this point I think Keynote is better than the pre-makeover version (which still runs, incidentally, and wasn't removed by Apple if you already had it) in nearly all ways, particularly in terms of platform flexibility and in terms of visual design, but there are some features that can't be duplicated on mobile or cloud platforms, and thus they are not (yet?) there.

Ridiculously easy to generate charts, graphs
Ridiculously easy to generate charts, graphs

For my use, this is what I like to call "Keynote for high-definition." It's not only built to look great on Retina screens, but it's built to do slideshows that live in the digital, HDTV, and LED projector era. The 640x480 slideshow is dead; you need to build for 720p (at least) if not 1080p; it's not that the previous versions of Keynote couldn't handle HD, it was just trickier to find assets that really looks good in high-resolution. Nowadays, I pluck HD videos off of YouTube (or shoot them on my iPhone or desktop) and simply drop them into an empty slide: perfectly centered, sure to play, locally stored -- everything PowerPoint has previously, at one time or another, failed on me with.

Having moved the furniture and controls around a bit, Keynote 6 has steadily improved and restored features -- the current Mac version is now 6.6.1 -- and is now well-matched on iOS, meaning I can edit or create slideshows on my iPad or even, in a pinch, on the iPhone as well as the Mac -- and the iCloud version keeps pace with all of them, giving me both a backup site to secure my presentations in case I need to pull down another copy, and a place where I can make a last-minute change on even a PC, since all I need to run Keynote outside my own devices is a web browser.

In addition, the iOS version of Keynote can run a slideshow directly to an HDTV or AirPlay-compatible device (like an Apple TV) using AirPlay, and the iOS app can also double as a Wi-Fi remote control for Keynote running on your Mac -- which in my case means I can move around freely and change slides from anywhere in the room, rather than just by line-of-sight. Given the number of Wi-Fi networks I connect to to do slideshows, the reliability of that software is remarkable (though I'd be lying if I said I never had to occasionally reconnect the iOS remote function to the Mac I want to run with it).

Using iOS Keynote to control your Mac's Keynote
Using iOS Keynote to control your Mac's Keynote

With an Apple TV and a projector or HDTV, I don't even need to bring the Mac -- the slideshow I saved on iCloud can be pulled up on my iPhone, which AirPlays it over to the Apple TV connected to the projector or to the HDTV, depending on the size of the group. An entire slideshow, with animations, videos, and web links that gracefully open in Safari -- running entirely off the iPhone, and in some cases created there. It's a real "living in the future" moment.

In my presentations, I often drop out of the slideshow to do a live demo of the program or service or site I'm talking about, and the fact that I can simply hit command-h on the Mac keyboard (or double-click the home button on iOS devices, which will let me choose another app, or slide one in using Slide Over or Split View ...) makes it easy to switch back and forth between the slideshow and the demo bits without fear, and if by chance I find that I can't connect my Mac or iOS device because the host site insists on using PCs, no worries: I'll pull it up from iCloud.com and run it from there, still beating the pants off of their clumsily-designed "traditional" slideshows, mostly drawn from templates they've been using for two decades.

Plugging the day job in a slideshow
Plugging the day job in a slideshow

Keynote makes it easier to create visually better slideshows, show them based off mobile or desktop devices, and use those slideshows in conjunction with the most gorgeous-looking OS to run demos on -- the ones from Apple. It's as reliable as your dog getting excited when you come home, its almost as much fun to create the slideshows as it is to present them, and you can even buy a little laser pointer to attach to your iPhone to use to point at things. Next, I'm going to try running my next presentation entirely off my Apple Watch -- this is living in the future.

-- Charles Martin

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2016, 07:47 PM

Apple seriously screwed us when they stopped allowing us to make timed .mov files out of autoplaying keynotes.
It was a really easy cheap version of After Effects.
Now- it's just another powerpoint.
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2016, 10:24 PM

Unfortunately Apple removed features which I used all the time from both Keynote and Pages, rendering them 100% useless to me. I'm not talking about strange, weird, or advanced features either. I'm talking about fundamental, basic every-day features. In Keynote and Pages, for example, Apple removed the feature to split cells in tables! Really. They also removed the ability of Pages to show 2-pages up! The list of basic (and advanced) features they removed is fairly extensive and a lot of it never came back. Unlike others, I find the removal of features to match another platform absurd and indefensible. (Hey, if we agree with this policy though, maybe it would be best for Apple to remove all features from all their software until all Apple software has feature-parity with an Apple Watch versions of a product!... It doesn't really make much sense to downgrade excellent software so that it matches the least-capable device it runs on...) The upshot on my end is that I used to recommend iWork for just about every Mac user. Now I suggest Libre Office because iWork is just too darn crippled. Oh, and Apple needs to realize that many Mac users use multiple-screens and give us options to turn the sidebars back into movable palettes if we so wish. That's a huge problem with many current Apple products, not just Keynote.

It's a shame, because for the longest time Keynote was a great product that easily created beautiful presentations. But without necessary features it simply becomes useless.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2016, 10:38 PM

While as I mentioned in the article there are some things (minor to me) that were removed and haven't yet returned, what specifically in Keynote is missing beyond the split cell function you mentioned (which can still be done in Numbers; I usually use that when I'm preparing a table anyway, so I actually had to check that you were right!).

As for two-up view, you're correct it isn't in the current Pages, but it is still available in iBooks Author, which might be of assistance to you. There are some rumors that the iWork apps and some other Apple-built apps will be updated significantly in the next OS X revision with the possibility of features being restored, perhaps now is a good time to send feedback to Apple about the features you would like to see restored or added in Pages and Keynote.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2016, 03:17 AM

A few small corrections:

"In addition, the iOS version of Keynote can run a slideshow directly to an HDTV or AirPlay-compatible device (like an Apple TV) using AirPlay"

The Mac version of Keynote can do that, too.

–––––––––

"and the iOS app can also double as a Wi-Fi remote control for Keynote running on your Mac"

Even better, the iOS app can also double as a Wi-Fi remote control for Keynote running on *another* iOS device, meaning that you can control Keynote running on your iPad from your iPhone (or vice versa). I would actually advise against using the iPhone as a Keynote remote, or directly presenting from the iPhone. I've done it a few times, and every single time I was approached by people in the audience why the hell I was playing around with my iPhone while giving the presentation. One guy even interrupted me while I was presenting and asked "Excuse me, are you texting?". So I stopped presenting off the iPhone, but I still use the iPad for that purpose from time to time. People seem to have no problem with that and seem to "get" that I'm holding that iPad for the sole purpose of presenting.

–––––––––

"and you can even buy a little laser pointer to attach to your iPhone to use to point at things."

Are you kidding? The iOS versions of Keynote do have a laser pointer feature, and it's fantastic, together with the pencils you can use to scribble on your slides (see here: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...resenter-3.jpg)

–––––––––

"Next, I'm going to try running my next presentation entirely off my Apple Watch -- this is living in the future."

No, I'm afraid it's not. It's a nice little gag that might excite your audience for the first 2, 3 times you do it (while taking attention away from what you are actually trying to present). Then, they get annoyed because you won't stop fidgeting around with your damn watch. It's majorly distracting. I've tried it, it stinks. Use a clicker. Kensington makes great ones.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2016, 03:18 AM

PS: Charles asked the question: "what specifically in Keynote is missing beyond the split cell function you mentioned?" – and oh, where do I begin.

David Esrati already mentioned that you can't export as timed .movs anymore. That's a huge deal, admittedly for not all that many people, but for those people (including me), it was an incredibly useful feature. And you can't tell me it was removed to clean up the interface, aid usability or reduce clutter... it was one tiny option in the Export dialog.

Talking about exporting Keynotes as movies, you used to be able to export as a movie that would automatically stop at the precise location where a mouse click was expected to advance. This would even work when playing the movie on a Windows PC (that had QT installed, admittedly), meaning your presentation would look *exactly* the same – and behave exactly the same – on Windows as it did on Mac. And no, Keynote on iCloud doesn't reproduce every aspect of the presentation (fonts, animations etc.) reliably on Windows.

Again on movies: in earlier versions of Keynote 5.x you could export your slides with transparency (if you had the slide background set to "None"), which allowed you to do amazing things later on in apps like Final Cut, After Effects or even iMovie, stuff like animated titles or basic comping. It was awesome. It saved tons of time. Now, you can still do things like include a green slide background (with a slight gradient) behind your animated Keynote text and then, in your video app, use the green screen feature (again, even in iMovie), but it's a bit messy and doesn't give the polished results that the old version provided. This feature actually broke before Keynote 6.0, they messed it up in (I believe) 5.2.

But enough about exporting movies, which I'm sure not all too many people care about.

What's also missing in Keynote 6.x is the great "Smart Build" feature: you could insert a box on any slide, and that box could contain as many images as you liked, animated in 11 different ways. So if you wanted to show off a bunch of scribbles or mockups, you'd just throw them into a Smart Build and have them neatly on one slide. Now you need as many slides as you have images, and it's a good bit more complex to handle.

Something I miss daily is Keynote 5.x's ability to replace missing fonts in the "Documents Warnings" window. That was such a great feature, and should have been extended by the option to replace any font (missing or not) with any other. Granted, we have paragraph styles now in Keynote 6.x, and that's absolutely fantastic, but if you got text boxes without a style assign to them, it still doesn't allow me to find that one occurence of a non-standard font that keeps popping up on the client's Mac as "missing" and change it quickly. The "Documents Warning" windows is still there in Keynote 6.x, but gone is the little helpful popup menu that said "Replace fonts". Bummer.

Last but not least: in Keynote 5.x, you were able to set that a running presentation could not be stopped without entering a password, which made it great for kiosk systems, trade show displays (where customers could interact with a presentation using links, but not exit from it) and the like. Why the hell is that gone too?

And then there's all the stuff I *wish* Keynote could do but never did... but this text is already far too long.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2016, 05:00 PM

A couple other features I used that were removed (off the top of my head - some apply to Pages as well): Ability to use an image as the background for an entire table (it would span all cells): Ability to export Quicktime movies (mentioned above by at least 2 other posters. That was a hugely useful feature.) I also consider the ability for an application to properly utilize more than a single screen to be a basic feature that has been removed. It's all part of Apple's current policy of dumbing-down. It's a disaster across the board with recent Apple software, with iWork simply being one of the worst examples. (Sit back and do a well-considered thought-experiment with the policy of dumbing-down software the the lowest-common denominator and see where it gets you. Now perform that same thought-experiment with other products or industries (i.e. Most people don't actually need an AWD car, so why bother making them at all? Most people don't ever need a pacemaker... Why bother with those?). It really isn't a defensible position to dumb-down *anything* to least-common denominator, because what you end up with is stagnation and a lack of progress.

If software had historically been designed this way; when color first came to the Mac Apple would not have implemented it. Why? Because the lowest-common denominator in the Apple ecosystem was still a black and white screens...

And maybe the saddest thing is that this is easily avoidable. All the developers have to do is take a long-hard-look at this fundamental formula: A) Does the new version have fewer features than the previous version? If so, you are doing something wrong. B) Is the new version harder to use than the previous version? If so, you are doing something wrong. C) Is the new version simultaneously losing features and getting harder to use? If so, you are doing something terribly, terribly wrong. Unfortunately much of the current Apple software fails on either A (iWork) or B (Photos), and sometimes even fails on C (Disk Utility).

Forum Links
Forum Rules