Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How on Earth do I burn a Windows-readable CD?

How on Earth do I burn a Windows-readable CD?
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 01:31 PM

Hi all,

Well, I've just spent most of the afternoon trying in vain to burn a CD that I'll be able to read on Windows machines. I now have a CD that works fine in Macs but shows as empty on PCs, and it wasn't even mine to waste...

I'm trying to back up somebody's data from an NT 4.0 machine. I've got the data onto my iBook just fine and arranged it how I want it. Here's what I tried:
  • Making a 660 Meg disk image in Disk Copy with the format set to MS-DOS, copying the files to it, then doing 'Burn Image' in Disk copy. Disk Copy says some files will not mount and won't let me burn.
  • Selecting 'Image from Folder' in Disk Copy and selecting the folder with the data, with type set to CD/DVD master. The resulting name.cdr.dmg file can be burnt but is a Mac-only CD
  • Putting in the blank CD and sending it to the Finder. The CD mounted but was listed as Mac OS Extended, so I didn't try to burn.

I've had a good look round on the Net and can't seem to find a solution. I remember there was a reported bug where 10.2 couldn't burn PC compatible CDs, but I thought 10.2.x (I have 10.2.2) fixed that. I also thought the Finder burnt hybrid-type CDs by default and that a name.cdr.dmg file was PC compatile when burnt.

Admittidly I've not exhausted the Finder route, but I don't want to keep making partial coasters with someone else's CDs. They are 80 minute CDs btw.

Anyone else having trouble? Any thoughts or tips? I know this can be done and dammit it should be easy. Apologies if I've missed something really obvious and wasted everyones time.

biscuit

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 01:46 PM

I always use Toast.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 02:04 PM

The Finder should do it fine. It's worked for me, anyway.

The 'HFS+' disk that it shows will actually burn as a hybrid disk.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 02:06 PM

The finder (in 10.2) burns hybrid CDs by default. Just let the CD-R mount, copy the files onto it and then burn it. I do this from time to time and since 10.2.1 it works perfectly. (The bug was only in 10.2 - 10.1 burned hybrid CDs but you had to do so explicitly)

Btw - the CD-R will be identified as HSF+ in the finder but will mount without problems on a windows PC.

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 02:11 PM

Thanks Mithras, I guess the only way to find out is to sacrifice another CD.

Luckily I've just stumbled across my supervisor's cheapo CD stash....

biscuit

edit: Thanks also to Zadian...

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 02:46 PM

And sure enough, it works.

Boy do I feel stupid now...

Shouldn't there be a way to do this in Disk Copy? Nevermind, don't reply. Lets just let this thread sink to the bottom of the pile...

Thanks again,

biscuit

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 05:18 PM

I've found this to be hit and miss. I've got a circa 1996 cd-rom drive that will read finder burnt cd-rs just fine, but a newer, albeit slow cd-rw drive thinks they are blanks. Neither likes hdiutils burnt multi-session cd-rs. (This is from cd-rs burnt with 10.2.2)

dice
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:

Shouldn't there be a way to do this in Disk Copy?...

I just copied a PC cd on my mac with diskCopy, first I made an image of the CD and then I burnt the image onto a CD-R, it worked first time in win 98.

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by dice:

I just copied a PC cd on my mac with diskCopy, first I made an image of the CD and then I burnt the image onto a CD-R, it worked first time in win 98.
Thing is though, I'm not trying to copy a PC CD here. I'm trying to make a PC readable CD from files on my HD.

Dammit! This is just keeping this thread visible! Lets not talk about this any more, OK? Disk Copy can't do it right it seems. Nevermind, the Finder can.

But there is one other thing. I tried to remove the ".Trashes" file on the CD by running the following in Terminal before burning in the Finder:

sudo find /Volumes/<NAME> -name ".Trashes" -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

However, the file is still there. And yes I did change <NAME> to the right thing...

biscuit

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2003, 01:14 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules