Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Black screen when changing resolutions in Panther

Black screen when changing resolutions in Panther
PiratePete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 02:09 PM

I recently upgraded to Panther, and everything's been hunky-dory, except for one pretty serious issue. Whenever an application tries to change the resolution, the screen goes black and stays black. The application doesn't crash, as I can hear it making sounds. This persists across every application I've used that tries to go full-screen, from Aliens vs. Predator to StepMania to the iTunes visualizer. When I change the resolution from the Displays prefpane, the screen flashes, turns bluish, switches resolutions, and then stays blank (though this time it's blue instead of black). Once again there's been no crash, as I can still hear sounds.

Any idea what the heck's wrong, or how I can fix it?

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by PiratePete:
I recently upgraded to Panther, and everything's been hunky-dory, except for one pretty serious issue. Whenever an application tries to change the resolution, the screen goes black and stays black. The application doesn't crash, as I can hear it making sounds. This persists across every application I've used that tries to go full-screen, from Aliens vs. Predator to StepMania to the iTunes visualizer. When I change the resolution from the Displays prefpane, the screen flashes, turns bluish, switches resolutions, and then stays blank (though this time it's blue instead of black). Once again there's been no crash, as I can still hear sounds.

Any idea what the heck's wrong, or how I can fix it?
Read this thread on the same problem.

You don't happen to have this problem on a 667 TiBook, do you?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

PiratePete  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 06:39 PM

Well I'll be darned. I do have a TiBook 667.

If all owners of this (if I recall) very popular model are experiencing dramatically reduced functionality, I assume Apple will release a fix soon... right?

In the meantime, is there any sort of workaround?

iboy
Nov 17, 2003, 07:17 PM

Yes, you are definitively not alone!!!

gr�essli from Switzerland

yob

masquar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 04:49 PM

Hi everybody,

does anybody has any news about the problem of the steady,blue (or black) sceen when changing resolution under Panther 10.3.2.

Any help welcome, Please !!!!!
Regards

Massimo

P.S. I have Powerbook Titanium 667

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by masquar:
Hi everybody,

does anybody has any news about the problem of the steady,blue (or black) sceen when changing resolution under Panther 10.3.2.

Any help welcome, Please !!!!!
Regards

Massimo

P.S. I have Powerbook Titanium 667
No news, no light at the end of the tunnel. go to this thread, where it has already been discussed.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules