Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Change the resolution problem

Change the resolution problem
iboy
Nov 16, 2003, 01:11 PM

When I change the resolution in the "System Preferences" I always get a gray screen now :-( with no informations on it! I have to restart my Ti befor I can "enjoy" the other Resolution. When the Resolution is changed I'm even able to quit program ---> it still works everything only the display is blank!!!

I have a Ti 667 with a ATI 16MB graphiccard, 512MB memory and 10.3.1 installed!

oh... btw: My problem didn't exist on jaguar

What can I do?

yob

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by iboy:
When I change the resolution in the "System Preferences" I always get a gray screen now :-( with no informations on it! I have to restart my Ti befor I can "enjoy" the other Resolution. When the Resolution is changed I'm even able to quit program ---> it still works everything only the display is blank!!!

I have a Ti 667 with a ATI 16MB graphiccard, 512MB memory and 10.3.1 installed!

oh... btw: My problem didn't exist on jaguar

What can I do?

yob
I get the exact same problem, exact same machine as yours. Whenever I switch resolutions or change the color depth, the screen will fade out, but it won't fade back in... I discovered that toggling the inverted display mode (hitting "ctrl + option + command + 8" twice) will bring the display back (until i change the display settings again...

Do you also have these problems with your TiBook: The display calibrator (in the display preferences) isn't responsive? Meaning, adjusting the sliders doesn't result in any visual response? Also, if you choose a different display profile in the display prefs, the new profile doesn't take effect until either you switch users or logout & log back in, or toggle the inverted display mode? It's definitely a Panther problem, since every display function works fine in Jaguar and when I boot from OS 9. Apparently, it only seems to affect 667 VGA TiBooks.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 06:47 PM

Mine works fine TI 500 1GB ram

iboy  (op)
Nov 16, 2003, 07:14 PM

Yes, you are right... I have checked your "discovery" and mine are exactly the same :-(

I also realised that this problem only affect Ti667 with the ATI 16 MB graphiccard... I know other owners with other Ti's and Al's and they have no problems at all!

I have already tried to solve that problem by deleting all system preferences, but it didn't help! I recovered this problem bye using Keynote. The sidetranslations there don't work anymore and I'm unable to run a presentation because the key's and the mousebutton stoped working...

gr�essli

yob

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 07:19 PM

i had that problem during one of the 10.3 betas.. the only way to fix it was to back up my user, delete the user, then make the user account again and copy my files back.

of course you could always just reinstall your os and trash everything... i had tried trashing the prefs (all) and fixing permissions, but that didn't help.

-justin

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 07:23 PM

Yes, you are right... I have checked your "discovery" and mine are exactly the same :-(

I also realised that this problem only affect Ti667 with the ATI 16 MB graphiccard... I know other owners with other Ti's and Al's and they have no problems at all!

I have already tried to solve that problem by deleting all system preferences, but it didn't help! I recovered this problem bye using Keynote. The sidetranslations there don't work anymore and I'm unable to run a presentation because the key's and the mousebutton stoped working...

gr�essli

yob
since you're the first person I've heard from who's also suffering from this same problem (and it proves that I'm not crazy), I'd suggest we keep pestering apple with feedback concerning this system specific bug. I'm sure there are other TiBook 667 VGA owners who might be suffering from this same problem, so maybe we can get more of them involved as well. It's an incredibly annoying problem... I can't calibrate my monitor in 10.3 (which is extremely important for me), nor can I run any games (or other applications) that switch screen resolutions or change the bit depth to run fullscreen.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy []:
i had that problem during one of the 10.3 betas.. the only way to fix it was to back up my user, delete the user, then make the user account again and copy my files back.

of course you could always just reinstall your os and trash everything... i had tried trashing the prefs (all) and fixing permissions, but that didn't help.

-justin
The same effect can be achieved by creating a new user, logging in under that user and seeing if everything works. It didn't work. I also reinstalled three times, cleaned out various prefs and caches and other files, I even manually installed individual components from the install disk (using that miracle app known as Pacifist), but no results.

By the way, which build was this beta you ran that had this problem?
-John Crichton

iboy  (op)
Nov 16, 2003, 07:42 PM

I just found something but I think it doesn't affect us, because we bought our Ti's after October 2001:

"Can, and did, at least for some older video cards. Apple says, in Applecare article 25582: "If your video card's ROM (or firmware) is older than March 2001, Mac OS X 10.3 will not load the ROM driver during start up. Instead, it will try to load a newer software driver file if one is present. Make sure the installed driver works with Mac OS Panther." Using ATI video cards as an example, the problem is, when you check ATI's web site for an update to their video card drivers for OS X, they say: "not supplied by ATI(drivers are supplied as a part of the OS)". So, ATI doesn't supply any software-based drivers for their video cards for use with OS X, because they say it's Apple's responsibility. In OS 10.2.x and earlier, Apple ran older ATI video cards either using software drivers that worked with these cards, or they read the driver from these cards' firmware chip (I don't know which approach Apple used, but the System/Library/Extensions folder in both OS 10.2.x and 10.3 contains software drivers for ATI cards). But these "old" cards don't work under OS 10.3--exactly why, I don't know if anyone exactly knows yet, but in general, Apple has decided, with OS 10.3, to no longer supply software drivers for these "old" video cards, AND they've decided to no longer read the driver from video cards' firmware for cards older than March 2001. This is kind of like a catch-22, except it's actually just Apple completely dropping support for "old" video cards, even though they had code in OS 10.2.x and earlier that worked perfectly fine. Panther could easily have been written to include the same support, but Apple just said no. Don't you like a monopoly? I wonder if Linux drivers are available, or from XFree86. Some people have had luck getting some "old" video cards to work by forcing OS 10.3 to read the driver from the video card (in Terminal, enter: sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"), or by replacing their video card extensions with 10.2.x versions, etc., but neither approach works with all ATI Xclaim video card models, particularly the Xclaim VR (I and other people have tried with no luck), though it does work with the Xclaim GA card. "

@Some Guy

I cannot imagine that that will help (???) but maybe I will try that... tomorrow, because now it's nearly 1 o'clock in the morning here in switzerland and I have to go to bed!

Gr�essli

yob

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 03:24 PM

I just found something but I think it doesn't affect us, because we bought our Ti's after October 2001:

"Can, and did, at least for some older video cards. Apple says, in Applecare article 25582: "If your video card's ROM (or firmware) is older than March 2001, Mac OS X 10.3 will not load the ROM driver during start up. Instead, it will try to load a newer software driver file if one is present. Make sure the installed driver works with Mac OS Panther." Using ATI video cards as an example, the problem is, when you check ATI's web site for an update to their video card drivers for OS X, they say: "not supplied by ATI(drivers are supplied as a part of the OS)". So, ATI doesn't supply any software-based drivers for their video cards for use with OS X, because they say it's Apple's responsibility. In OS 10.2.x and earlier, Apple ran older ATI video cards either using software drivers that worked with these cards, or they read the driver from these cards' firmware chip (I don't know which approach Apple used, but the System/Library/Extensions folder in both OS 10.2.x and 10.3 contains software drivers for ATI cards). But these "old" cards don't work under OS 10.3--exactly why, I don't know if anyone exactly knows yet, but in general, Apple has decided, with OS 10.3, to no longer supply software drivers for these "old" video cards, AND they've decided to no longer read the driver from video cards' firmware for cards older than March 2001. This is kind of like a catch-22, except it's actually just Apple completely dropping support for "old" video cards, even though they had code in OS 10.2.x and earlier that worked perfectly fine. Panther could easily have been written to include the same support, but Apple just said no. Don't you like a monopoly? I wonder if Linux drivers are available, or from XFree86. Some people have had luck getting some "old" video cards to work by forcing OS 10.3 to read the driver from the video card (in Terminal, enter: sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"), or by replacing their video card extensions with 10.2.x versions, etc., but neither approach works with all ATI Xclaim video card models, particularly the Xclaim VR (I and other people have tried with no luck), though it does work with the Xclaim GA card. "

@Some Guy

I cannot imagine that that will help (???) but maybe I will try that... tomorrow, because now it's nearly 1 o'clock in the morning here in switzerland and I have to go to bed!

Gr�essli

yob
I tried the terminal command, no luck. I might try regressing to the old video extensions, but I have a feeling that it wont work either.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 03:55 PM

I have also found a workaround for problems with apps that change resolutions and/or bit depth to run fullscreen (like games)...

first, you need to know the resolution and color depth of the application you want to run. Change the resolution and colors in the displays prefs pane first (invoking the inverted display key command when needed [ctrl+option+command+8] ), then run the application. It should work... it has worked with all applications that I have been having problems with.
-John Crichton

iboy  (op)
Nov 17, 2003, 04:44 PM

I've tried today the solution with backup and creating a new user... it doesn't fix the problem in my case!!!

iboy  (op)
Nov 17, 2003, 04:54 PM

wooooow... I didn't know the [ctrl+option+command+8]-tip, now it works to change the resolution without a restart. BUT it doesn't solve my problem with Keynote and a second monitor
I'm still unable to run a presentation on my or an external screen!!!

btw, it can't be a solution for long to change the resolution that way...

gr�essli

yob

PiratePete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 07:22 PM

I'm having this same problem on a TiBook 667Mhz machine running Panther. Here's hoping Apple fixes it soon!

iboy  (op)
Nov 17, 2003, 07:52 PM

Yes, I will hope that too!!! It's good to know that each of us is not the only one with that kind of problem...

gr�essli

yob

P.S: I've already posted my/our problem in several other forums and finaly in Apple's Service & Support page:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

we will see now... we can only wait
( Last edited by iboy; Nov 17, 2003 at 07:58 PM. )

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by himself:
The same effect can be achieved by creating a new user, logging in under that user and seeing if everything works. It didn't work. I also reinstalled three times, cleaned out various prefs and caches and other files, I even manually installed individual components from the install disk (using that miracle app known as Pacifist), but no results.

By the way, which build was this beta you ran that had this problem?
yeah, i forgot to mention that i did test this with a new user before trashing/rebuiling my user.

this was 7b80, and i figured it was a 10.3 beta bug, but it showed up in 7b85 (Panther GM/Release).

BTW, I have a first gen 12" powerbook g4.

-justin

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 08:45 PM

@Some Guy

Gr�essli

yob
just try making a new user first and see if it works, or try logging in as root.

each user has his own color profiles and stuff.

-justin

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 12:10 AM

wooooow... I didn't know the [ctrl+option+command+8]-tip, now it works to change the resolution without a restart. BUT it doesn't solve my problem with Keynote and a second monitor
I'm still unable to run a presentation on my or an external screen!!!

btw, it can't be a solution for long to change the resolution that way...

gr�essli

yob
I guess I should have mentioned that the ctrl+option+command+8 key command doesn't necessarily work when an app switches resolutions to run fullscreen... the key command only seems to work with apps that don't run fullscreen.
-John Crichton

iboy  (op)
Nov 18, 2003, 11:05 AM

@Some Guy

it didn't work

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 05:13 PM

Apparently, Apple is working on a new update (10.3.2) which is supposed to address certain graphics issues, among other things... hopefully this will fix these TiBook problems.
-John Crichton

iboy  (op)
Nov 25, 2003, 08:37 AM

Yes, I think they are working on it:

Mac OS X 10.3.2 Details? Soon?

Apple has kept busy with ongoing Mac OS X 10.3 updates.

A recent flurry of 10.3.2 releases have been released to Apple Developers (10.3.2 7D12 and 7D15).

While its unclear when the new update is going to be released, Apple requested timely feedback on the latest build (7D15) from developers. According to one anonymous report, the updated OS X should offer:

Improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks

More robust printing to PostScript printers

Improved font management

Updated Mail and Address Book applications

New ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers

FileVault, Firewire 800, WebDAV and USB Printing improvements from Update 10.3.1

Previous standalone security updates

Gr�essli

yob

PiratePete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 10:19 PM

Well, 10.3.2 didn't fix this problem in any way whatsoever.

Sigh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules