Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm going to Japan, any advice from native mac users?

I'm going to Japan, any advice from native mac users? (Page 2)
CrackedButter  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 05:45 PM

which means?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2004, 06:24 PM

First:
Ah, God (Spirit)! There is an axe in my head! (Assuming ono is axe.)

Second:
I can eat glass, and ... (I don't know what itaku means and my dictionary isn't helpful to figure out which is right.)

日本語 - Testing Safari (seems to work for me, does it show up properly for the rest of you?)
( Last edited by Xeo; Feb 11, 2004 at 06:31 PM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Well, according to Lonely Planet (you should definitely get one if you travel here), these places can be quite dirty at times.

That's why my group opted against it. Plus, all youth hostels that we have tried were closed over New Year's. So you might have more luck AFA timing is concerned.
Yeah, I know a place like that won't be great, but I'm not picky. I can live in a dump for a few weeks.

How about spending a year here as an exchange student. You might wanna check out the NUPACE program at Nagoya university. If you wanna work in Japan, this is the number 3 of all universities here (at least from the reputation, and that's all that matters when getting a job here). You are in the middle of Japan, the organization is short of perfect and because Nagoya is much cheaper, you have money left to travel a lot. In two weeks, I will have seen all major cities on Honshu: Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya, and Hiroshima. I have also been to South Korea.

You do not need any background in Japanese to apply. PM me, if you are interested in details.
I would be interested in going to Japan for a year as an exchange student. However, I can't afford to spend yet another year on college and I only have one year left before I graduate. Our school has a good exchange program that would make going their the easiest, if that were possible for me. But it won't happen. One more year and I'm done though so hopefully I can get over there for a longer period of time and earn some money as well.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
You'll only need one phrase to get attention: "Aa, kami-sama! Atama ni ono ga arimasu!".

"Garasu o taberete, itaku wa arimasen!" would impress all girls, too.

Just remember: as a Gaijin, you are expected to act like fool anyway, so don't hold back
ああ、神様!頭に斧があります。
Oh, God! I have an axe on my head. (神様 is usually translated as the singular God, while just plain 神 would be a spirit. The relationship between "axe" and "head" is not clear; my first thought was of an axe attached to someone's head like a horn or something. This is not how you'd say "my head was cut by an axe" or "an axe is lodged in my head.")

ガラスを食べれて、痛くはありません。
I can eat glass and it doesn't hurt.

Regarding the last point: Please don't embarrass yourself, as well as the rest of us foreigners, by acting like an idiot and saying things like this to get attention.
( Last edited by wataru; Feb 11, 2004 at 06:37 PM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
ああ、神様!頭に斧があります。
Oh, God! I have an axe on my head. (神様 is usually translated as the singular God, while just plain 神 would be a spirit.)

ガラスを食べれて、痛くはありません。
I tried. Wouldn't "in my head" be correct and make more sense for the situation?

And it seems Mozilla actually changes all the Japanese to their Hex values or something 'cause it's not Japanese in this window for me, but when I post in Safari and edit, the text stays as Japanese and doesn't go to the hex. Must be why it works in Mozilla for all encodings? Or does it? Bah, just thinking out loud.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I tried. Wouldn't "in my head" be correct and make more sense for the situation?

And it seems Mozilla actually changes all the Japanese to their Hex values or something
I just clarified my translation.

Yes, I think you're right about how Mozilla handles Japanese text.

entrox
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 07:04 PM

Regarding the last point: Please don't embarrass yourself, as well as the rest of us foreigners, by acting like an idiot and saying things like this to get attention.
Joke\, n. [L. jocus. Cf Jeopardy, Jocular, Juggler.] 1. Something said for the sake of exciting a laugh; something witty or sportive (commonly indicating more of hilarity or humor than jest); a jest; a witticism; as, to crack good-natured jokes.
I honestly don't know anybody who would run around screaming stuff like that :-P

Whatever. But I'm curious: is OmniWeb able to convert the Japanese input to numerical Unicode entities? There's just so many options regarding the various encodings...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2004, 07:22 PM

I just clarified my translation.
Thanks for the clarification. It's like you know Japanese or something.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
Joke\, n. [L. jocus. Cf Jeopardy, Jocular, Juggler.] 1. Something said for the sake of exciting a laugh; something witty or sportive (commonly indicating more of hilarity or humor than jest); a jest; a witticism; as, to crack good-natured jokes.
I honestly don't know anybody who would run around screaming stuff like that :-P
I know you meant it as a joke, but I know plenty of people who do stuff like that. The Japanese language attracts a lot of weirdos.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 11, 2004, 11:45 PM

The Japanese language attracts a lot of weirdos.
/me looks in the mirror

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2004, 04:02 AM

ああ、神様!頭に斧があります。
Oh, God! I have an axe on my head. (神様 is usually translated as the singular God, while just plain 神 would be a spirit. The relationship between "axe" and "head" is not clear; my first thought was of an axe attached to someone's head like a horn or something. This is not how you'd say "my head was cut by an axe" or "an axe is lodged in my head.")

ガラスを食べれて、痛くはありません。

Shouldn't it rather be taberarete and itakunai desu?

I second that. Don't scare the Japanese even further. They might even laugh, but not because they think it's funny ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2004, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Yeah, I know a place like that won't be great, but I'm not picky. I can live in a dump for a few weeks.

I would be interested in going to Japan for a year as an exchange student. However, I can't afford to spend yet another year on college and I only have one year left before I graduate. Our school has a good exchange program that would make going their the easiest, if that were possible for me. But it won't happen. One more year and I'm done though so hopefully I can get over there for a longer period of time and earn some money as well.
Oh, ok.
I'm kinda busy now, I'll tell ya more later.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Shouldn't it rather be taberarete and itakunai desu?
"taberete" is less formal than "taberarete," but still valid. "itakunai desu" is equivalent, but slightly different: If you break it down, it's "itaku nai desu." "nai" = "arimasen," except that you lose the politeness of the "masu"-form, so you have to add "desu." The "wa" is just the particle. It adds emphasis to the "itaku."

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 11:42 AM

Akihabara is fun and all, but depending where you are in the city, you actually might find better deals at the super discount stores on the south, south west, and west sides of the city.

- Bic Camera
- Sakuraya
- Yodobashi Camera

You'll find these around Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Yurakucho stations on the JR Yamanote train line.

If you are there for that long, you can easily appy for a "point" card which gives you anywhere from 10-20% back of your purchase in store points redeemable immediately for other purchases. Add to that the sales tax exemption you get when you flash your passport, you can sometimes land really good deals.

Cheers.

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
I've got a holiday booked for September dirt cheap (cheap to me), i'll be going to Tokyo for a week.

The first few things i want to do is go to the Ginza Apple Store (but of course!) and get myself an ipod mini.

Next i want to see Mount Fuji...after that its whatever if recommended, anybody been there and seen something i should see as well?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2004, 12:17 PM

Point card? Tax exemption? Cool! I'll have to look these things up now.

CrackedButter  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Akihabara is fun and all, but depending where you are in the city, you actually might find better deals at the super discount stores on the south, south west, and west sides of the city.

- Bic Camera
- Sakuraya
- Yodobashi Camera

You'll find these around Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Yurakucho stations on the JR Yamanote train line.

If you are there for that long, you can easily appy for a "point" card which gives you anywhere from 10-20% back of your purchase in store points redeemable immediately for other purchases. Add to that the sales tax exemption you get when you flash your passport, you can sometimes land really good deals.

Cheers.
Where would one get the point card?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 01:54 PM

Will you looking for that woman in the tub?
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 12, 2004, 03:34 PM

Where would one get the point card?
You get one free as soon as you buy something as long as you tell them...if they don't offer you one.

CrackedButter  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 06:11 PM

Is it worth getting, its not like i'll be coming back for a while is it? Or is it?

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2004, 12:56 AM

"taberete" is less formal than "taberarete," but still valid. "itakunai desu" is equivalent, but slightly different: If you break it down, it's "itaku nai desu." "nai" = "arimasen," except that you lose the politeness of the "masu"-form, so you have to add "desu." The "wa" is just the particle. It adds emphasis to the "itaku."
Ok, thanks. We didn't learn the abbreviated form tabereru, just tabesareru instead of the more cumbersome tabesaserareru.

CrackedButter  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 07:26 PM

Whats about plug sockets, what type do they use in japan, the US standard type or the more logical UK type?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 14, 2004, 09:54 AM

Whats about plug sockets, what type do they use in japan, the US standard type or the more logical UK type?
The same! as US!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 03:31 PM

The voltage is a little different. It's either 120V or 110V, whichever one the US isn't.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2004, 02:35 AM

The US uses 120/110V while Japan is a bit lower at 100V. They use the same plug and current electronics won't suffer by being on the different voltage. Your computer, for example, can handle either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules