Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone had thier AirPort antenna repaired in the UK?

Anyone had thier AirPort antenna repaired in the UK?
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2004, 03:33 PM

Hi folks. It seems the AirPort antenna in my 600 MHz iBook has gone completely. It doesn't see any networks at home or work, networks it used to see and connect to just fine. I had had some problems with DHCP but I'm pretty sure this is now a hardware thing as it doesn't see anything at all ever. I've tried pulling the card and reinstalling but it doesn't help. The Apple Hardware test CD reports that AirPort is fine, hence I believe it to be the antenna in the screen or more likely the connection through the hinge.

So my question is this; has anyone in the UK (specifically London) had the antenna repaired? If so, how much did it set you back and how long was the machine out of action for? I'm trying to figure out if the money would be better spent on a new machine, seeing as there are some nice offers in UK stores at the mo. Any advice would be gladly received.

biscuit

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 06:01 PM

My brother sent his iBook for repair in London. It took about one week.
The airport issue was fixed for free with the screen issue (part of the iBook logic board repair program).

I'm going to send mine soon for the same problems. (London too)

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the reply pat++. Are you and your brother both sending your iBooks in under the logic board repair program? When you say the same problem, I assume you're referring to your bro's problem? I don't think my machine is covered under the repair program, but then AirPort failure probably wouldn't qualify anyway would it? Mine had a problem with the screen during it's first year and the logic board was replaced under warranty, but that's now long since expired.

I suppose I can live without AirPort if it's going to cost a bomb to fix, just a bit of a shame.

biscuit

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 04:15 PM

I have intermitent video image which is one of the problems covered by the logic board repair program, in addition to weak airport signal when the screen is opened too much (past 90�).

Both might be caused by damaged cables in the hinge, and I believe that Apple knows the problem and sometimes fix it under the IBook logic board repair program.

Your iBook is probably covered (up to 15th december 04 or later, depending on when you bought your iBook).

You can check the serial number of your iBook by clicking on "About this Mac" in the Apple menu, and then click twice on the version number.

See here for details :
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

At least I would advise you to call the Apple support, and explain them that your iBook has already been repaired, but you didn't notice the airport issue, and that it's getting worse and worse... Maybe you'll be lucky
( Last edited by pat++; Jun 23, 2004 at 04:31 PM. )

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 05:39 AM

Thanks again pat++. I hadn't noticed the repair program covered my machine, but I think it'll be a stretch to get them to repair the AirPort. Then again, worth a try.

Oddly, it started working intermittently again last night, but it's completely unreliable.

Thanks once again and good luck with your repair.

biscuit

Forum Links
Forum Rules