Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone with Battlefield 1942?

Anyone with Battlefield 1942?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 09:08 PM

Just would like to know how it runs....andspecially on a 12" PB?

Can I play multiplayer with PC people?

Thanks.
( Last edited by jorgem4; Jun 28, 2004 at 09:15 PM. )

Jaos
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 11:52 PM

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

haha I found this on another forum:

GrendelT came out of the closet to say:
"OMFG Macs r the bomb. See, we have all your crummy PC games." (albeit a little bit late)

Don't forget to right-click when you want to zoom, call artillery, switch to the TNT plunger, etc.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
OMG B&

I am surprised they haven't released a demo yet, the demo for BF1942 on the PC is really what sold the game. We played that for weeks.

You will be able to play BF1942 against PC players, and hopefully it's easy to add in the mods, which really make BF1942 great.
( Last edited by Maneki Neko; Jun 30, 2004 at 05:18 PM. )

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 07:04 PM

I'm really looking forward to this game, should be good.
-- Hamburger. The cornerstone of every
nutrious breakfast

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 03:59 PM

I got mine today, from Aspyr directly. It comes on one DVD which is nice, and runs great on my G5(2Ghz/9600) at 1280x1024, best quality. So far, very impressed...

Oddly, the levels load a bit slow (I have the PC version on an Athlon 1.7Ghz), but otherwise it plays fantastic. No problems connecting to any servers either, and Desert Combat runs too.

I hope BF Vietnam is on it's way too!

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by mfessenden:
I got mine today, from Aspyr directly. It comes on one DVD which is nice, and runs great on my G5(2Ghz/9600) at 1280x1024, best quality. So far, very impressed...

Oddly, the levels load a bit slow (I have the PC version on an Athlon 1.7Ghz), but otherwise it plays fantastic. No problems connecting to any servers either, and Desert Combat runs too.

I hope BF Vietnam is on it's way too!
Desert Combat? that mod does not come with the game right? Or how do get that?

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 05:16 PM

Oddly, the levels load a bit slow (I have the PC version on an Athlon 1.7Ghz), but otherwise it plays fantastic.
Out of curiousity, how much RAM does your G5 have? On my PC, RAM seemed to be the big thing affecting level load time.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
thats not a forum quote, its from /.
we don't have time to stop for gas

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
thats not a forum quote, its from /.
Huh?
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2004, 09:31 PM

Uh, gee.. I would HOPE it runs great on your system.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Uh, gee.. I would HOPE it runs great on your system.
Yeah, no kidding.

If anyone has tried it on anything similar to my iMac (see details below), please let me know how it runs, if at all...

Thanks,

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 02:19 PM

Yeah, can we hear about how it ran for someone NOT on a super-computer
-- Hamburger. The cornerstone of every
nutrious breakfast

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 03:32 AM

Runs great on my 12" 1.33GHz w/ 768 MB RAM, everything maxed out. at the beach, but i brought the damn bluetooth mouse. dummy!

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
Desert Combat? that mod does not come with the game right? Or how do get that?
Desert Combat is a fantastic mod...almost makes BF1942 a new game. You can get it for the Mac here.

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 3, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Runs great on my 12" 1.33GHz w/ 768 MB RAM, everything maxed out. at the beach, but i brought the damn bluetooth mouse. dummy!
Okay, judging by your performance I think I'll buy it.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 03:52 AM

BF1942 is a great game... you'll definitely enjoy it. I am debating weather or not to get it for my new 15" PB when it arrives. I already have the game and some expansions for my PC.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2004, 12:15 PM

It runs like butter on my machine at 1024x768x32 with all the graphics options maxed.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
It runs like butter on my machine at 1024x768x32 with all the graphics options maxed.
And what is your machine?

Any reports on how it might run on an 800mhz G4?

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
And what is your machine?
Link to specs in my signature.

Any reports on how it might run on an 800mhz G4?
Total ass.

Battlefield 1942 pretty much demands 64MBs of video RAM to be playable at any decent resolution. My friends Athlon 800 with 256MBs of RAM a 32MB GeForce 2MX cannot run it playably at 640x480. Though, RAM is a big factor.

My old Athlon XP 2200+ with a 128MB Radeon 9100 ran the game like crap... until I upped the memory to 512MBs from 256MBs. Then it was perfect.

It could run *okay*, but I doubt it will, hopefully a demo is coming so you can find out for sure.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2004, 02:32 PM

Desert Combat is a fantastic mod...almost makes BF1942 a new game. You can get it for the Mac here.
Have you (or anyone for that matter) used the PC version of desert combat? How does the mac version compare to the PC version? Are they on par with each other? Can you join servers that are hosting desert combat and play against PC players? I may go out and buy 1942 today...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

Uhh, in response to this guy up there.

The PC version and the Mac version of DC are one and the same. The only difference is that the Mac version needs to be taken out of the Windows executable format and unzipped. You can download the PC version from www.desertcombat.com and then do it yourself, but MGF makes it easier for you by doing it already. Aspyr made it so that the mod devs didnt have to make a completely new file for the Mac version. Its nice actually.

As for servers, I dont know, I dont have the game

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Uhh, in response to this guy up there.

The PC version and the Mac version of DC are one and the same. The only difference is that the Mac version needs to be taken out of the Windows executable format and unzipped. You can download the PC version from www.desertcombat.com and then do it yourself, but MGF makes it easier for you by doing it already. Aspyr made it so that the mod devs didnt have to make a completely new file for the Mac version. Its nice actually.

As for servers, I dont know, I dont have the game
I guess that covers it all! Thanks for the info.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 12:15 AM

Just got the game and the performance is pretty good although it's fog-o-manic. From my very brief time with single-player, it's somewhat fun and the vehicles is really cool as expected.

But AI bots.. ****ing stupid as rock! It appears as they have zero knowledge of my existence and kept plowing me with tanks

Will try multiplayer soon. I'm sure it'll be 100x better.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 01:51 AM

Man this game is a little harder than I've thought

Flying airplane with keyboard/mouse is a big NO/NO

Driving vehicles is kinda tough.. Not as flexible as I'd like it to be. Driving a tank make you feel like you have a broken neck.

I definitely need more practicing but it's just my initial impression.

Arolte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Man this game is a little harder than I've thought

Flying airplane with keyboard/mouse is a big NO/NO
Battlefield 1942 has extremely poor flight support IMO. In fact I think the game would've been better without it. The lack of visibility is one problem. You have very little time to react when you spot the enemy in the air. If you are lucky enough to find another aircraft, you end up blindly doing donuts in the fog until one of you gets lucky by getting a couple of shots in.

It also doesn't help that you're boxed into a map that only takes seconds to reach the boundaries, at which point you get shot down if you exceed them. The maps are pretty big for infantry, land, and sea units... but because aircraft have a tendency to travel over two or three times the speed of any other class, you'll quickly begin to feel claustrophobic with the limited range.

Another gripe I had was the complete lack of cockpit instruments. If they were serious about adding air combat, they should've at least considered making some working instruments to make flying a little easier. At the very least an artificial horizon and altimeter would've been nice to have, especially with the lack of visibility. These two instruments are a must.

Driving vehicles is kinda tough.. Not as flexible as I'd like it to be. Driving a tank make you feel like you have a broken neck.

I definitely need more practicing but it's just my initial impression.
Yeah, I guess driving vehicles take getting used to, but I personally like how you can look in different directions while driving. It helps to see where artillery shells and bombs land so you can plan your next safe route while you're on the road. It's also useful against preventing roadside ambushes.

I don't really have a problem with tanks, but I can see why some people may not like it. I personally think the did a wonderful job in providing realism by limiting the view. If you have trouble driving with the default view, you can switch to third person perspective while driving and then switching back to first person when aiming.

But... to some extent I feel offering a third person view to a tank kills gameplay balance, since limited visibility is pretty much the only friend infantry units have against tanks. The same applies for aircraft. Any good pilot in the game can dominate the battlefield easily by constantly switching views, making it a deadly anti-personnel weapon (which is not its intended role!).

Aside from all these issues, I think the game is otherwise very fun to play.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 01:45 PM

I bought it yesterday and I got desert combat to work. It sure is lots of fun, but I can understand how flying is a pain in the ass. Using the mouse to fly sucks big time, so I am wondering how much easier it would be with a joystick. I know someone who can pilot any helicopter with his mouse...something I have found nearly impossible to do so far.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 03:34 PM

Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to find this game in retail stores? Both Fry's and CompUSA are out of it and Best Buy and Circuit City dont know of its existence. I guess Im gonna have to pay 15 dollars extra and buy it on Amazon...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to find this game in retail stores? Both Fry's and CompUSA are out of it and Best Buy and Circuit City dont know of its existence. I guess Im gonna have to pay 15 dollars extra and buy it on Amazon...
Amazon.com appears to currently be out of stock as well (says ships 1-2 weeks). Both Amazon and CompUSA charge full retail for the game, so what extra you would pay would be shipping, and last I checked it does not cost $15 to ship a game.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 07:07 PM

Hmm, when I was there a few days ago it wasnt out of stock. Now, however, apparently youre right. The extra 15 dollars I was talking about was in reference to the one day shipping as Im leaving for LA on Sunday and would have wanted to make sure it got here in time for me to bring it along. Too bad...

george68
Banned
Aug 4, 2004, 01:07 AM

Demo???

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 03:14 AM

I never expect a demo anymore for Mac games. At least, not one within two months of the game's release. Generally I just pirate the game and then buy it if I like it enough. That's what I did with Call Of Duty.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2004, 03:19 AM

A single player demo of BF1942 is on its way.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
A single player demo of BF1942 is on its way.
Any word on the date?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
Any word on the date?
This is all I've heard from an interview with Glenda Adams:

Tuncer: How has the reception been for Battlefield 1942? Also, when can we expect a demo?

Glenda: So far the response for BF1942 has been good, we hope to see sales of the game continue to be strong through the holiday season. We're working right now on the dedicated server application (which has a slick Aqua interface configuration utility), and after that is released we'll get the demo done. The demo will be single player, so it doesn't show off the really best part of the game (multiplayer), although it will give you a feel for what the engine is like. I think from all of the positive response on the forums anyone who isn't sure if they'll like BF1942 should just take the plunge and get it, you won't be disappointed.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 09:29 AM

Well I took the plunge and bought the game this weekend...only got to play it for about 20 minutes because I was busy all weekend...but boy it is GOOD! I used to play it on a PC and it was good but on my 12" 1.33MHz PB it looks better....I have the setting to defult (medium I think) and it looks GREAT.

I tried downloading desert combat but its not working I think it is a problem with the server...over 500Mb! WOW....

This game is great!

iboy
Aug 24, 2004, 07:35 PM

I bought that game today and tried it out. Generally, in my opinion that game is slow!!! I have an Al 15" with 1GB Ram and a 128MB graphiccard. My settings are medium!

:-(

I feel a bit disappointed!!!

gr�essli

iboy

ikarus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 02:38 PM

I have to agree. I bought this the week after it came out. I have a MDD G4 1ghz, with 1.25 gigs of ram, and an ATI Radeon 8500 with 64 megs of vram. Now, the minimum requirement for this game is an 867mhz G4, and a 32 meg vram video card. Reading that, you would THINK the game would be playable on my computer. I can't play a multiplayer game with more than 10 people without experiencing major lag whenever more than a few of them are in the same area shooting at each other. It's even worse if you get out of your vehicle, for some reason that makes it even worse.

It's pretty sad when you have to have a $2500+ computer to play a game that works fine on PCs over 3-4 years old.

I feel like I got ripped off.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 02:44 PM

Update to 10.3.5, and run it at native resolution. That should make you feel better. If not, sorry.

ikarus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 03:58 PM

10.3.5 made it a little more tolerable, but it still all goes to hell if more than few people are nearby. Native resolution? But that's 1280x1024.. it's going to choke on that.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by ikarus:
I have to agree. I bought this the week after it came out. I have a MDD G4 1ghz, with 1.25 gigs of ram, and an ATI Radeon 8500 with 64 megs of vram. Now, the minimum requirement for this game is an 867mhz G4, and a 32 meg vram video card. Reading that, you would THINK the game would be playable on my computer. I can't play a multiplayer game with more than 10 people without experiencing major lag whenever more than a few of them are in the same area shooting at each other. It's even worse if you get out of your vehicle, for some reason that makes it even worse.

It's pretty sad when you have to have a $2500+ computer to play a game that works fine on PCs over 3-4 years old.

I feel like I got ripped off.
Agreed. This is how I felt when I played it on my powerbook. Granted a powerbook is not a "gaming machine", but the system requirements are a bit lower then what my powerbook has! Having a G5 makes a HUGE difference! It really is like night and day. I have yet to experience any lag, and my ping is a bit lower. Sad that a high end G4 can't compare to a G5...

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 09:47 PM

Honestly, I don't know why you all are having issues. I'm running on my PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz/768MB RAM, at full resolution and it's smooth as can be. A little laggy, but not much, in large Desert Combat maps, but that's about the extent of any performance problems.

I swear, update to 10.3.5, make sure you quit Photoshop (!) and start playing at full resolution.

Seems to work fine for me.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:43 PM

Just FYI, the demo is out. I downloaded it last night. This looks like quite a fun game.

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18334

Plays great on my G5 @ 1280x1024.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

iboy
Sep 21, 2004, 01:26 AM

For me anything under 25 fps is just not acceptable even in hugh maps. I think they should list the minimum requirements that high that no laggy situation can happen!

( Last edited by iboy; Sep 23, 2004 at 03:59 AM. )
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 05:03 PM

I've been playing the Demo with everything set on high @1280x1024 on a G4 1.4ghz w/ an overclocked 64mb Radeon - laggy as hell at that rez, but intriguing nonetheless. I'll buy this on my next trip to Apple.

Gameplay is amazing as there are so many options - the AI seems pretty well done too.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
I've been playing the Demo with everything set on high @1280x1024 on a G4 1.4ghz w/ an overclocked 64mb Radeon - laggy as hell at that rez, but intriguing nonetheless. I'll buy this on my next trip to Apple.

Gameplay is amazing as there are so many options - the AI seems pretty well done too.
Good AI? Maybe the demo has improvements, but the full version's AI is laughable! It really is a online multiplayer game.

iomatic, have you tried it on a faster machine? My roomates powerbook (15" 1.25 G4) is a bit laggy, especially with lots of people. What is the resolution for you?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
Good AI? Maybe the demo has improvements, but the full version's AI is laughable! It really is a online multiplayer game.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 05:04 PM

iomatic, have you tried it on a faster machine? My roomates powerbook (15" 1.25 G4) is a bit laggy, especially with lots of people. What is the resolution for you?

12" 1.33GHz, 768MB RAM, 1024x768 ...10.3.5 seems comparable to the PC versions on faaaast machines.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2004, 10:07 AM

Maybe the demo is small enough for the AI to work better (also CPU time can be adjusted for AI) But you're right - it's an online multiplayer game and that's where the real gameplay is. I can't wait to pick it up!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 12:38 AM

I can actually get the demo to run quite well on my iMac 700 640meg RAM.

All settings at minimum and use Activity Monitor first to Kill all non essential processes.

Don't know the actual FPS but its very playable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules