Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Defective SDRAM

Defective SDRAM
iboy
Dec 16, 2004, 08:42 PM

Hi everyone

I have some serious problems with my Powerbook. I realised yesterday, that one of my 512MB SDRAM doesn't work anymore. Half a year ago, I putted a second 512MB module in it by myself and everything worked just fine! Now the original one from Apple seems to be defective...

What can I do? Did I void the warranty on the original one from Apple by adding a second one in it?

gr�essli

iboy
( Last edited by iboy; Dec 16, 2004 at 09:38 PM. )
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 05:34 PM

No, you didn't void the warranty.

Take out your extra RAM, and see if it works then. Then pull out the Apple RAM and put it back in ("reseating"). Again see if it works. See what happens if you put both modules in, but in the opposite slot (this lets you see if it's the slot that's gone bad, instead of the RAM).

If you can't get it to see both, take the PowerBook to the dealer with just the Apple RAM and have them fix it.

tooki

iboy  (op)
Dec 21, 2004, 01:51 PM

hej tooki

today, I took my powerbook to the service-point near my hometown and they changed the display (other problem). They also tried to fix the memory-thing but finally ordered a new logicboard because of this strange behavior: the particular SDRAM-modules and also the slots are working perfectly... but when you put the second module in it, my computer is not able to use them both!

gr�essli

iboy
( Last edited by iboy; Dec 21, 2004 at 02:01 PM. )
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules