Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sony's XBRITE

Sony's XBRITE (Page 2)
cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by bnowrooz:
* Use of LED as back lights. (now they are brighter and will produce better colors)
* Smaller pixels
* Production changes (quality will increase while price decreases)
You forgot

* OLEDs - (the "O" is for "organic") - These displays don't require a backlight at all. They're almost unknown in computer-size at the moment, but LG (for example) has already incorporated small ones into some of their phones. Once production ramps up on these and costs go down you'll see much brighter displays that use much less power.
cpac

Xapplimatic@Ade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 07:27 PM

I've got 5 different LCD equipped systems here (3 of them desktop types).. Of 5 screens, only one has a stuck pixel.. It is made by some unknown out of hong kong. The pixel is RED. It used to be constantly on. Massaging it made no difference. Recently it started to work by massaging it.. I recommend massaging.. Now, as to who is the end manufacturer of the other four screens which have no stuck up pixels? Apple....

Oh yeah.. here is *MY* feasible / workable technical reason for why red would be a more predominant color for getting stuck.. BECAUSE red objects (purely red) do not emit any blue or green light. Blue and green are higher on the frequency spectrum and therefore by absorbing those higher frequency colors (and remember a color is just a particular frequency of visible RF or radio wave energy), the red elements get hotter than the blue or green elements. The idea being that anything which operates hotter is more likely to fail. That's my super-techno-geeky explanation. TADAAHHH!

mangacool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 09:46 PM

Listen up, because I'm going to try and break up the wild superstition present on this board:

- Color Liquid Crystal Displays are made up of layers of liquid crystal pressed between glass plates with filters to create red, green, blue. If one color seems easier to massage out it's likely because it's represented by the plate closest to the outside of the display. Consider also, though, that Apple's warning about rubbing the display is correct - the glass plates are very thin and very fragile, and they're designed to distribute even force (like pushing the screen away from you). Pressing and rubbing one small area can open small cracks in the glass and cause problems later.

- LCD's usually use two very small florescent tubes to illuminate the display. Just like the ones you see in offices, they come in blue and amber varieties. The Wallstreet Powerbooks had amber lights, but like in offices, amber is limited in how much light it can produce. Blue tends to be brighter. Oh yeah, and the bulbs are buit in to the display unit by Samsung - Apple doesn't add the backlights, but they can replace bad ones in some models during service.

- If the blue backlight disturbs you it's likely you're coming from a CRT or a laptop with an amber backlight (both have an orange glow). You'll get used to it eventually - meanwhile, use Colorsync and push the whitepoint toward the amber range.

- Sony's laptop LCD's seem brighter because they use a polarizing filter which prevents ambient light from washing out the colors on the display. It works a lot like their "brighter" flat TV tube technology. Apple can't duplicate it yet because Sony still holds the patent on the process of creating the filter.

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by mangacool:
- Sony's laptop LCD's seem brighter because they use a polarizing filter which prevents ambient light from washing out the colors on the display. It works a lot like their "brighter" flat TV tube technology. Apple can't duplicate it yet because Sony still holds the patent on the process of creating the filter.
I just saw the same type of display on an HP laptop today though?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by jfelbab:
Brighter LCD's might be nice for some but I've not seen a single SONY, IBM or Toshiba that is as color accurate as the Apple display. When I see a shade of magenta or cyan or yellow I want it to match the original print, not look like a neon poster. For my money Apple clearly still has the most color accurate displays on the market.

Granted I may be in the minority in this desire to see color rendered exactly as it should be. Many of my friends want to see images resembling liquid neon cellophane but I want exact color. A banana should not look like it is plugged in to a wall outlet and is shooting yellow sparks.

JMHO
I went to an Apple store and the 23" cinema display there had a pinkish hue to it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I went to an Apple store and the 23" cinema display there had a pinkish hue to it.
It wasn't calibrated properly.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 07:59 AM

*sigh* sometimes it takes a while for Apple to get the ball rolling..... I remember when Apple missed the ball when they were still using CD-ROM drives when PC manufacturers were starting to use CD-RW drives.

Luckily Apple got in early by putting FireWire and DVD-Rs as standard equipment on all Macs.

We can only hope that Apple will get back on track and get some comparable screens.

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Nah .. SuperBright, Xbright or X brite or whatever.. fujitsu has another name for it ... etc. a lot of pc laptops now feature this type of lcd now.. crystal view or ___brite. I hope apple gets it sooner rather than later.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
From what many said on this, it seems there were two problems with the new 23" displays: (1) many defective parts, so in this case a replacement is the only solution; (2) in other cases the 10.3.6 update corrected the pink cast when re-selecting the default display profile, so in this case it was a software issue (and already solved).

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 12:37 AM

The PC laptops look garish because they are default set to "High Color" setting which pumps up colors unnaturally saturated. Selecting "True Color" display option eliminates the bias. Also, dumping the horrid green and blue color theme for taskbar and windows to the silver "classic" theme makes XP much more subtle and easy on the eyes. XP has far more adjustments and tuning of displays and effects than OSX and can be quite pleasurable visually with a little effort.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by jfelbab:
Brighter LCD's might be nice for some but I've not seen a single SONY, IBM or Toshiba that is as color accurate as the Apple display. When I see a shade of magenta or cyan or yellow I want it to match the original print, not look like a neon poster. For my money Apple clearly still has the most color accurate displays on the market.

Granted I may be in the minority in this desire to see color rendered exactly as it should be. Many of my friends want to see images resembling liquid neon cellophane but I want exact color. A banana should not look like it is plugged in to a wall outlet and is shooting yellow sparks.

JMHO
I can tell you first hand that the sony screen is not only a LOT brighter but is a helluva lot more color accurate then the 12" screen apple offers. The 12" screen is one of the worst lcd's i have ever seen.. well at least in the last 3 years.

The 15" and 17" are great.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

jooka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 03:36 AM

about x-brite vs. current pbook's screen:

i've been trying to figure out should i jump using mac or go with the flow (pc) with my new computer purchase. i've been comparing two canditates: pbook or sony's vaio s2xp (S260 in america) and have come to a conclusion that sony's screen alone are driving me to buy one (although i have all my life wanted to buy mac!) since it's clearly so much better.

EMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 02:02 PM

Just got one of these new HP laptops with briteview/xbrite screen. They must be licensing the screen, because it's "BriteView" looks identical to sony's "XBrite", as well as "ClearView", and all the other glossy new screens with fancy names. Interestingly, it was a BTO option on HP's site.

That said, it looks pretty amazing. The screen is darker and richer than my television. DVD's play better than I've ever scene on a laptop. General computer use is just more fun.

People worry about glare with the glossy screens -- from a typical single-user viewing perspective, there is no detrimental glare. If you try and view the screen past 45% on the horizontal, the glare suddenly appears -- as if some anti-glare filter fails to function for highly angular incident light.

If HP can license XBrite, and HP can license the Apple iPod, the transitive property says that Apple can license XBrite.
QED

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 03:08 PM

really good point

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 08:02 PM

Apple displays are your average run of the mill oem displays.
The thing which I like about OSX is the OS-wide colour calibration.

And Xbrite is not licensed to Sony, most companies have this IPS (or whatever it is called) screens. Sony just add the glare to it, while IBM for example doesn't.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Michel_80:
Apple takes their screens from some company like LG or Samsung, so it is up to them to make the screen better.
That's kind of a nutty way to look at it. Apple buys their screens from one (or more) manufacturers today, but that doesn't mean they must always buy from those manufacturers. If Samsung can't keep up with the XBRITE's of the world, then it is Apple choice to find a new manufacturer when the contract is up. They are by no means at Samsung's mercy.

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2004, 11:49 PM

Here is my opinion on the subject:

I have been using powerbooks since the very first Ti's and recently (August) got a Sony laptop with the Xbrite technology and loved it for the first few months but in the end sold it to buy a new 15" powerbook and havent looked back once. truthfully it is a parlor trick, very cool and tempting at the store but in real life does nothing more than impress your friends. . .

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 02:56 PM

That is not true is it. When Apple decide to introduce the new screens, I bet you will be the first one to say how amazing they are. Watching a DVD movie on one of them is stunning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules