Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > batch conversion: bitmaps to vectors

batch conversion: bitmaps to vectors
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 06:54 AM

hi , I'm new to this forum but I hope someone maybe able to help me - and I'm posting it in the graphics section and the DV section due its nature - so sorry if your reading this twice : >

I'm trying to batch vectorize tiff image sequences for a video I'm making and I'm not getting satifactory results with my software ; the very outmoded adobe Streamline wont batch vectorize with the colors I want (uses defaults) and I can only get the newer Silhouette software to batch vectorize in black and white , or auto-color if I use it as a plugin in illustrator....

So to put it another way.....

I can get either software to vectorize single images exactly how I want, the problem is getting either software to use the exact same parameters for a batch process - so frustrating! can anyone help? or perhaps suggest alternative software?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 04:03 PM

perhaps if you showed an example of the desired effect, we could help you better.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 09:43 AM

here's an example of a source file (don't hate me cos I'm beautiful ; >
http://yugyug.nytka.org/files/graphi...20377_orig.jpg

and here's what i want to achieve,
http://yugyug.nytka.org/files/graphi...20377_good.jpg

they need to be vectors so I can apply some other batch actions to them in illustrator, - its tricky, i can't get any vectorising software to use the right colors (or even the right number of colors) in batch mode

any ideas?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2005, 10:19 AM

tried Flash? The imported bitmaps have to be simplified for it but they will be quite large to start with and you will need to "flatten" the file getting rid of some of the layers.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 11:39 AM

Have you tried the posterize filter in Photoshop? It's under Image/Adjustments. It's not vector but gives the look you want.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 12:12 PM

how is this?

option click to download the .fla

in flash:
import the image
modify > bitmap > trace bitmap

you can then play around with the settings after that.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 05:36 PM

Silhouette will batch process in the stand alone version! I have abandoned Streamline in favor of the OS X native application! See and download the demo Silhouetteonline.com

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2005, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL

REQUEST

MY PHOTOSHOP BATCH

other examples

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2005, 04:03 PM

I'm sure with a little more work, I could get it 99% there...

Do you have photoshop?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2005, 04:17 PM

THREE LAYERS

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 05:50 PM

All of these processes are adjustable for more control.
Here we go...
Variouse Smart Blurs and layer Modes:

Smart Blured/Posturized/Smart Blured again/Drop top layer opasity:

Stamp/Contrast/Maximum:

If you had time for each file your doing you could tweek the heck out of it before applying and filters. Well if you want a better discription of any of these let me know and ill post a better tutorial.

----

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2005, 11:42 PM

wow thanks for all the effort you guys put in to helping me.....

just got back from a week away at the beach and I'm stil having problems...

mdc:I would love to use flash for this as its trace bitmap command has a lovely look to it - but how do you apply it to thousands of images in an image sequence automatically? Flash doesn't have any batch processes and trace bitmap won't work on an imported movie file.

mydog8mymac: I just got a reponse from the silhoette support team saying that its software cannot batch vectorize in colors - they suggest using it as a plugin in illustrator and automate from within illustrator (which I can do), but control it with illustrators script system - which I don't know and I guess I now need to learn, ouch.

mitchell_pgh: I don't want to use photoshop effects becuase they kind of have that pixel look to them - but if I can't figure out scripting then I guess'll I'll have to

thanks once again for everyones help.

guy

TheSomnambulist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 12:43 PM

YugYug

have you tried Adobe Streamline? Best vector conversion software going.

Regards
TheSomnambulist
www.cirqus.com

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 02:24 AM

yes, refer to my first post.

I question whether streamline is the 'best' vector software seeing adobe hasn't even released an OSX version, but considering my problems with silhouette I don't think there is any 'best' software in this category... maybe I'll go back to windows....

....just kidding!

TheSomnambulist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 12:58 PM

Any chance you can take it to an older version and try the process on OS 9 - then transport it back into osX ? I'm not sure I'm only asking.

On the adobe site it says there's an OSX version - but I'm taking it this isn't doing what you want:

http://www.adobe.com/products/stream...ystemreqs.html

Kinda curious about this because I'm pretty sure I'll be heading towards this problem myself soon too.

TheSomnambulist
www.cirqus.com

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 06:26 AM

Sonammbulist, the biggest problem I had with streamline (v3.0.1) in classic mode, was that it would not use user-defined custom colors in batch conversion, rather it would generate a new set of colors for each image. The colors are subtley different for each image, so it wasn't something I could correct with a batch action in photoshop.

Maybe this is fixed in v.4 ?Does anyone know? I haven't used it becuase the demo doesn't allow saves and I'm not going to pay for it if it doesn't work, and who wants to buy an old os9 application anyway? adobe should offer it for free.

Its troubling when you know exactly the look you want but have no way to achieve it practicality. I'm re-thinking the video clip I'm making and will probably make it more story driven and less visually driven. Probably the best route in any case.

yy

Forum Links
Forum Rules