Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple iHome

Apple iHome (Page 2)
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 09:20 PM

I vote fake as well. That one shot a few posts up looks like there's a piece of paper with the iHome logo sitting on top of a box. Weak. If it's real, then cool, but we shall see.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 7, 2005, 09:26 PM

Actually what made me say fake was the styrofoam in the box. Anybody who's bought a new Mac knows that Apple would not use styrofoam like that.

Every Jobs-second-era Mac that I bought has always had sexy styrofoam.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
Actually what made me say fake was the styrofoam in the box. Anybody who's bought a new Mac knows that Apple would not use styrofoam like that.

word.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 09:30 PM

Let's see, box inside of box, and since you already opened it, why not pull it all the way out and really show it off? It would be cool though for a product like this to happen. It'd be funny if it really was what will be coming around at mac world. Anyone ever think maybee Apple would slip out fake spy shots so most people like in this thread can shoot it down, but yet look stupid if it really was an Apple product unleashed at mac world? Could be just a matter of playing mind games, you just never know.
- Eric

factorguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 09:52 PM

I have it on good authority that this is the real deal. It was indeed taken in the UK, and since "Media Centre" is just the definition of what the device is, localization of the spelling is completely customary. Just read a UK Mac manual. Loads of localization.

As to the packaging, it's completely in line with what you'd expect. And to the person who claims that Apple wouldn't put "iHome" like that on the top of the machine...Have you seen the back of the iMac G5? It has it's name in the same style prominently displayed.

We'll know for sure on Tuesday, but based on what I've heard, I believe this is the real McCoy...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 10:01 PM

ok, i'll say it, it's so thick! no way would it be thicker than the iMac!

but this is fun! like the 'ol days!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by factorguy:
I have it on good authority that this is the real deal. It was indeed taken in the UK, and since "Media Centre" is just the definition of what the device is, localization of the spelling is completely customary. Just read a UK Mac manual. Loads of localization.

As to the packaging, it's completely in line with what you'd expect. And to the person who claims that Apple wouldn't put "iHome" like that on the top of the machine...Have you seen the back of the iMac G5? It has it's name in the same style prominently displayed.

We'll know for sure on Tuesday, but based on what I've heard, I believe this is the real McCoy...
and you are?

you're not a Newsfactor guy are you?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 7, 2005, 10:08 PM

I have it on good authority that this is the real deal. ...
if that's true ... and that thing really turns out to be a white hunk of plastic ... I can live with white plastic stuff in the kitchen (if absolutely necessary) ... but in my living room? No way, Jos�.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 10:09 PM

A card board box inside a card board box! It is so FAKE!

An Apple Home Theater devie would be PLATINUM like the G5 and match most HT equipment. even with the iPod popularity, it would not go that route for HT equipment.

Fake.

.....fake.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 10:10 PM

No video out port of any kind that I can see.

DVI, maybe VGA is expected, and not through a dongle.

A device for set-top would have to have a minimum of RCA and/or S-Video (again, no dogle).

Fake.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 7, 2005, 10:23 PM

didn't even notice "factorguy's" post count - in that case - let me express my opinion visually ...

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 10:25 PM

Since when has Apple ever put the name of the item on the product? My PowerBook doesn't say "PowerBook" on it. Nor does my G5. They would simply have an apple logo, and that's it. I'm not convinced. Plus, if you look closely, you can see the lettering doesn't quite look right.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 10:29 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 10:30 PM

Apple generally don't change speling of the product name for the different market. I can still remember "Color LaserWriter" and even now "ColorSync".

But the word "iMac" is not as big (in proportion) as to the word iHome in the photos.

The packaging looks suspectious...

If you look carefully, the "written documentation" on top of the package does not seems to say "iHome media centre etc". In fact I think I can say on the middle of the text line there is a single letter towards the end, and this suggest the "written documentation" could be an Apple software documentation (the single letter looks like a 7 for me).

Also, Apple hardware boxes normally don't put screenshots or other images... they normally just have the product image on the box!

Furthermore, from the photos which shows the ports at the back, you can see it uses DC power, like a PowerBook. Now, where is the "brick"? Normal packaging would put the "brick" side-by-side with the iHome (and cushioned by the foams seperately). It is to avoid any chance the "brick" might move and hit the iHome while in transit. I doubted the "brick" would put into another layer below the iHome, right?

We will know on Tuesday (well, Wednesday, for those of us who are 19 hours ahead). My guess is that the photos are real, but the object you have seen is just a prototype.

PS I don't think I have seen the paper clip emergency eject hole on the photo... but then it's a low-res, highly compress photo. Now, there is no manual eject button either, so I guess it's oeprates like a Mac, rather than operate like a DVD player.

jnrjr79
Jan 7, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
Since when has Apple ever put the name of the item on the product? My PowerBook doesn't say "PowerBook" on it. Nor does my G5. They would simply have an apple logo, and that's it. I'm not convinced. Plus, if you look closely, you can see the lettering doesn't quite look right.
My iBook says iBook on it.
My iMac says iMac on it.
My iPod says iPod on it.

That said, these pictures are ridiculously fake.
( Last edited by jnrjr79; Jan 7, 2005 at 10:42 PM. )

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 10:36 PM

The box looks fake and the product looks non curvy so its all a hoax.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

Its got to be a fake, its got a low gloss (or whatever) but put a light to the iBook and you'll see it shine, this one doesn't.
fAKE!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
same.
and even though the post above me already stated it. the imac does say "iMac" on the case.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 10:38 PM

So in other words you made the fake.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by jnrjr79:
My iBook says iBook on it.
My iMac says iMac on it.
My iPod says iPod on it.

That said, these pictures are ridiculously fake.
iBook has its name in small letters under the display, not in huge letters under the backlit apple on the back. (inconspicuous)

The G5 iMac says iMac on the back with big letters (again, inconspicuous)

iPod again... name on the back (there's a pattern here)

If this iHome had the lettering very small on the front, it would be more convincing. (or the back, or bottom).

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
There are more Americans than English, and some aspects of American English are in fact closer to middle English than yours.

And since English spelling wasn't cemented until fairly recently (long AFTER American English was established in America), you have no claim to one "proper" spelling any more than we do.

Most Brits don't speak proper Queen's English anyway, but rather a local dialect that nobody else can understand. (The U.S.'s major dialects don't vary a whole lot regionally.)

So get off your high horse, shut up, and remember that (to use your words) Britain "is the place that ran the world before" the U.S. did. If you're so right, how come you lost all your colonies?

tooki
And we Americans have more bombs. So there.
Hah!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2005, 10:53 PM

From the images we can conclude that this product comes with zero documentation or software.

jnrjr79
Jan 7, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
iBook has its name in small letters under the display, not in huge letters under the backlit apple on the back. (inconspicuous)

The G5 iMac says iMac on the back with big letters (again, inconspicuous)

iPod again... name on the back (there's a pattern here)

If this iHome had the lettering very small on the front, it would be more convincing. (or the back, or bottom).
I understand that quite well. As I said, the pictures are super King Kong mega mega fake.

My only point was that Apple does sometimes put the name of the product on the product. I'm not saying the iHome fake is consistent with other Apple products.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2005, 10:57 PM

The unit looks fake.
The product box looks fake. (It doesn't match any of the other current Apple product boxes)
The back has all the ports in line but it looks as though it had been copied & pasted from an iBook or an iMac.

MOST IMPORTANT!!! There is no power cable. How are you suppose to power this thing?

FAKE.

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 11:31 PM

I'm surprised nobody's said anything about how the box has random pictures of people and stuff on it, that's HP style packaging, not apple!
Aloha

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by jnrjr79:
I understand that quite well. As I said, the pictures are super King Kong mega mega fake.

My only point was that Apple does sometimes put the name of the product on the product. I'm not saying the iHome fake is consistent with other Apple products.
Sorry... I wasn't trying to be insulting towards you.
It was more in response to factorguy's statement about the iMac G5 lettering on the back.

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2005, 11:37 PM

I vote that its fake.
How many Apple products bend when you pick them up?

Seems like a dumb mistake.

If i ever bought an Apple product named iHome (most likely overpriced) and it sagged when i picked it up.. id be pissed as hell!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 12:14 AM

Fake. Moving along...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by gautch:
How many Apple products bend when you pick them up?
To name a few:

* iPod Headphones

* Power Cables

* iMac G4 (Flat-Panel)

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I'm surprised nobody's said anything about how the box has random pictures of people and stuff on it, that's HP style packaging, not apple!
I did say something along that line above... didn't you read it?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 12:45 AM

Silver and white looks kinda neat I guess.

Maybe someone is going to get sued over this one also.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 12:51 AM

dont care if its real or fake, im not gonna throw in a white unit into my HT stuff thats already a mix of black and metallic, t'would be ugly. I think Apple would be smarter than that.

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 01:08 AM

Ok has anyone mentioned that if you pick the box up by the handle the iHome and junk on the front of the box will be upside down?

Cuz I ain't reading through 2 pages of fakery to find out.

vinster
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by OAW:
I agree that this looks fake. Having said that, Apple should make a product just like this. This would be a set-top box that functioned as follows:

1. DVD Player (for iMovie/iDVD content as well as commercial DVDs)
2. Digital Photo Player (for iPhoto content on the Mac, Photoshop Elements or My Pictures content on Windows)
3. Digital Audio Player (for iTunes content including ITMS tracks)
4. Digital Video Player (for QT based video content ... though this isn't really necessary given #1)

<snip>
I don't think a set-top box would be a good idea. Too much competition from TiVo and others. I'd like to see a Mac with the following tweaks.

- small form factor (headless)
- S-Video and composite inputs
- Hardware MPEG-2 encoder
- Bluetooth remote control
- Software to integrate everything

But I'm already doing the media centre thing using my aging G4-upgraded Pismo, an EyeTV 200, external DVD-R, Keyspan remote control and a couple of hard drives. Works great (a faster CPU would be nice, though).

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 01:34 AM

Well, I personally wouldn't pay one penny for a computer made of cardboard. If Apple releases this, I think it'll flop once people realize that prettied-up cardboard boxes aren't OS X compatible.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
If you're so right, how come you lost all your colonies?
tooki
At least they had some.

Oh, I forgot, Cuba... cool.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 02:05 AM

The fake mockups are weak this year! Well, you can't blame them for trying. Anyway, here is an interesting look at the iHome that's guaranteed to be a fake (but a much funnier one).

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i7154

If they come with keyboards like the one in the article, I for one insist on an extra hand with which to use it.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2005, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Mr Heliums:
Do you really think this looks realistic? Or does it not give the slightest indication that someone has made this out of a small, and slightly battered, cardboard box? Look at the wild angles, for f***'s sake.

And don't you think that if they made the effort to oh-so-sneakily get this out of its cardboard box, they might just go the extra half-mile and, oh, plug the f***ing thing in so that we could see what it actually does?

Oh, I despair sometimes, I really do.
No doubt this is poorly done, but that just points out how pathetically done the last iMac fake was. Having said that, I do think the headless iMac will look something like this, although hopefully somewhat thinner.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2005, 03:42 AM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Well, I personally wouldn't pay one penny for a computer made of cardboard. If Apple releases this, I think it'll flop once people realize that prettied-up cardboard boxes aren't OS X compatible.
Of course, a cardboard computer is conceivably the only way we'd ever see a sub-$500 Apple ...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2005, 06:49 AM

Funny... My PowerBook says PowerBook G4 on the front... my iBook said iBook on the front under the screen, my iMac says iMac. Actually I think the PowerMacs are the only ones that I can't think of where the text that says it's name is on it...

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 07:22 AM

While a product like this may be introduced at MWSF, it is my professional opinion that these images are fake. Someone had a lot of time in their hands and wanted some web hits. Good job for that. Mission accomplished, if you will.
Originally posted by screamingFit:

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2005, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Ok has anyone mentioned that if you pick the box up by the handle the iHome and junk on the front of the box will be upside down?

Cuz I ain't reading through 2 pages of fakery to find out.
Haha, didn't catch that.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 12:58 PM

They're using the wrong typeface. That's definately not myriad.

http://homepage.mac.com/petelasko/rounddot.gif
[ALL inline images MUST be no wider than 480px. Besides, 1/2 of your image width is nothing but whitespace. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jan 8, 2005 at 04:07 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2005, 01:38 PM

The 'iHome's' lines aren't straight. At the bottom right and top left of the picture it's clearly slightly bent in the way that a cardboard box would be. And the left hand side of the box isn't parallel with the right-hand side.

Oh, and you can actually see the piece of paper on which the Apple logo has been printed on top.
Agreed. Look at the right side of the box in this picture .... it certainly looks "cardboard" to me.
http://dms.tecknohost.com/macrumors/...Photo-0007.jpg
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 01:43 PM

the upsidedown box and CentRe is enough to say fake for me.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 02:04 PM

Weren't the fake pictures for the Cinema Displays taken in this same-type elevator? links?

Didn't those pics turn out to be real?

I think the unit says iHome big on it's face because your dumbass friends wouldn't understand what the hell it was if it didn't. This is a mass-market product and, in general, people are stupid. (Especially Joe 'Windows User')

Centre is Apple's way of making it more 'Euro'. I dig.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Weren't the fake pictures for the Cinema Displays taken in this same-type elevator? links?

Didn't those pics turn out to be real?
No, the elevator pictures were for the rumored G5 iMac and those were fake. I think someone just put an LCD monitor in a box and took some crappy pictures of them in an elevator just like this one.

Oh, and I have NO F*CKING IDEA where people are getting this notion that Apple's going to release a TiVo style device. It's a god damn $500 Mac, not a TV recording thing.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

Oh, and I have NO F*CKING IDEA where people are getting this notion that Apple's going to release a TiVo style device. It's a god damn $500 Mac, not a TV recording thing.
I agree that it WILL NOT be a TIVO-type thing. Steve Jobs can't stand television or the 'mindless' [his words] people who watch the facile programmes that appear on it.

But I hope that doesn't rule out some sort of media server entirely. I would like to see a mini-server that acts as a central hub for your iTunes and iPhotos. As the owner of a 30Gb iBook, I'd love to see that. But then if it is a $500 Mac, that's a fairly good use to put it to.

PS: The only other suggestion would be some form of 'breakout box' for Garageband. But as I have no idea what a breakout box is, that's where my ideas run out.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 03:54 PM

PS: The only other suggestion would be some form of 'breakout box' for Garageband. But as I have no idea what a breakout box is, that's where my ideas run out.
A breakout box is usually used to supply additional audio inputs/outputs, useful for recording.

Forum Links
Forum Rules