Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > clipping masks and eps

clipping masks and eps
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 04:33 PM

what do you set the tolerance level in photoshop to get a very precise/clean clipping mask (once you load a selection). the default is 2.0 and i find that it isn't clean enough; i still see jaggies. i save as a photoshop eps to use in illustrator.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by iChelle:
what do you set the tolerance level in photoshop to get a very precise/clean clipping mask (once you load a selection). the default is 2.0 and i find that it isn't clean enough; i still see jaggies. i save as a photoshop eps to use in illustrator.
If you are creating an outline with the wand and making a work path, the minimum tolerance is .5 If you manually outline, creating a path using the pen, the tolerance can be 0.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 03:26 PM

here's what i'm trying to do. i am taking a vector logo type from illustrator and need to add a drop shadow in ps (since illustrator drop shadows suck). i select the logotype in illustrator, copy it, paste it into a new document in photoshop. this makes it a new layer. i load that layer and need to make it a clipping mask...

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 06:11 PM

Well if you make a drop shadow then make a clipping mask and save it as an EPS then when you bring it into AI then you'll have issues with the shadow, Your shadow will fade to white, (or what ever your background color is in PS). An easy fix is to not save it as an EPS. Paste your logo in PS and give it your Shadow, but save it as a PSD. AI handels PSD's just fine, and your shadow will look good.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 06:16 PM

oh thank you so much! that was easy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules