Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Mac Startup Sound When Car Powers On - Hacked iPod Shuffle?

Mac Startup Sound When Car Powers On - Hacked iPod Shuffle?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 05:02 PM

I've posted something similar 6 or so years ago, but thought I'd revisit this today. I want to get my car to have a switchable Quadra 840av startup sound to play through the car's stereo system. Here's what I was thinking in 1999: Someone creates an IC chip that has such sound in it, that then could interface to a car stereo.

Now I'm thinking that an iPod Shuffle might be able to be hacked to do this. If you could somehow trigger it to start playing when you turned your car on - perhaps making the play button-press activate when the circuit is completed when power is given to "on" components. I guess you could rip apart the shuffle and wire directly to the button. What about it "shuffling"? Well you could put a single startup sound on the unit or multiple startup sounds that would cycle through. To get these on and off, I assume you have a USB charger behind the scenes tapped into the car's power, but you could run a USB port somewhere that you could access with a portable machine. Assuming that worked, now, how to get the sound to work? Well, I think probably you could wire this into an aux. input that's normally used for an iPod or something similar. Using a splitter deep inside the car, you wouldn't have to see the iPod Shuffle itself and if it was a good splitter, it shouldn't really degrade the aux line. However, I'm pretty sure you'd have to leave the stereo in the Aux position with the desired volume to make it function when you turned the car on.

Thoughts? It seems like such a product setup could become kinda "hip" and perhaps it has on the car audio scene and I don't know it. It would allow people to have signature sounds that fire their subs, etc. or just something ultra ultra geeky like, "Hello, Mr. ____"
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
I've posted something similar 6 or so years ago, but thought I'd revisit this today. I want to get my car to have a switchable Quadra 840av startup sound to play through the car's stereo system. Here's what I was thinking in 1999: Someone creates an IC chip that has such sound in it, that then could interface to a car stereo.
Radio Shack sells such a chip.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 11:23 PM

Yeah? Do you have a link, part number, or understanding of how to hook up such a setup?
( Last edited by schalliol; Jan 22, 2005 at 11:29 PM. )
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
Yeah? Do you have a link, part number, or understanding of how to hook up such a setup?
Radio Shack Cat. No. 276-1325

Archer ISD1000A Voice Record/Playback IC

20-second capacity
  • Includes specifications, application data, and easy-to-build circuits
  • Natural, high-quality playback suitable for voice, music, sound effects, and tones
  • Can store more than one message
  • Operates from single 5-volt supply
  • Requires additional components and skill in project assembly
ISD's patented Direct Analog Storage Technology (DAST�) brings analog data into the semiconductor memory world. This "break through" EEPROM storage method writes analog data directly into a single cell without A/D or D/A conversion. This results in an increase in density over equivalent digital methods, and non-volatile storage of analog data.

You need only a few external components � a microphone, loudspeaker, switches, a few resistors and capacitors, and a power supply or battery � to build a complete voice record and playback system. All other devices � preamplifiers, filters, AGC, power amplifier, control logic and analog storage � are built into the chip.
( Last edited by f1000; Jan 23, 2005 at 08:49 AM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 08:48 AM

It's a 28-pin chip, and it includes extensive hookup diagrams, so see if you can find one at a Radio Shack. This particular model is about a decade old, so it's probably not available anymore, but something similar should be.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 05:01 PM

why not an even cheaper, small capacity mp3 player? I'm sure you can pick up some cheap 16/32/64 meg players out there. Get a 1/4inch (headphone) cord to RCA (red and white) outs... hook it right into your stereo. Draw in power from fuses, battery, inverter, etc. And rig, just like the ipod shuffle, the play button to ignition.

I dont see why you would need an iPod shuffle to do such a small task (4 second beep noise?). It is not as though the shuffle would be "on display" it would have wires running into and look like a mess. Probably hide it behind your head unit (cd player) or dashboard.
yep.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I agree, it really doesn't have to be an iPod Shuffle. I don't view the hard part is which player you are using, but more the way that you connect it all and actuate it. Would you like to take a stab at that?

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 07:24 PM

yeah sure... im not THAT good at wiring things, but i have done a number of jobs with stuff that came out fine

find something that comes on at ignition but never (or very very rarely) otherwise. perhaps a crazy status light (check brakes) or something. Or perhaps, if you have a good cd player or deck, etc, then that. Just find something that isn't powered until the keys are turned, without you having to turn it on or off.

tie in your power to the device with whatever means necessary, tie it into your RCA in (if you have a good enough sound system / cd player... mine has RCA inputs (GREAT for ipod) ). Hide the player... and wire its play button to whatever device comes on at startup.

basically a power switch... once power is registered, the circuit is completed, allowing the device to play the sound.

another problem would be realizing that your player will now probably play until you turn off the car... unless you rigged a method for it to shut off, or not loop the sound effect.

perhaps wiring the connection for "play song" directly to your ignition wiring could work. So that the play button had 2 connectors, the same that connect when you full turn the key. you could open up your ignition panel and solder a wire to each contact... and run those two wires to the "play" function, or to a switch, which would power the device.

just speculation... take it as you will
yep.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2005, 11:45 AM

Why not fit a push button starter to your car? Turn the key, then push the button to start the engine. Just wire the audio circuit to the start button. I'm pretty sure you can buy cheap push button kits.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 12:28 PM

I'm pretty sure you can buy cheap push button kits.
If you drive an automatic.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
If you drive an automatic.
What does automatic have to do with anything?
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by barang:
What does automatic have to do with anything?
A manual would be harder to start with a push-button because of clutching. It seems giving yourself a push-putton start though is more trouble than necessary. You could wire off the same thing that the stereos are wired to.

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 01:31 AM

i wonder if you can take this a little farther. Iv seen an app that makes a USB drive lock your computer when disconected (even a bluetooth version). Can you create somthing that locks your car from starting. You could wire a USB jack into the wire that is activated when you turn the key. So when there is no USB drive attached the wires dont connect. You plug your drive in and the wire is then connected through the USB drive....

With the bluetooth version, one might be able to set it so when you come with in 2 meters, you car doors would unlock automaticly. No keys required. I know the Toyota Prius has this already along with a few high end vehicles.

It would be cool (K.I.T. car like) to have your car doors unlock and your stereo say "Hello Gautch"......

USB Bluetooth Lock
( Last edited by gautch; Jan 26, 2005 at 01:12 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2005, 07:08 AM

Most people start manual cars in neutral (or with the clutch in anyway). The only thing that would complicate it is if your car is very new and has all sorts of electric wizardry built into the key ignition.

lenox
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 01:11 PM

why not build the actuator into the traditional turn-key ignition?

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
why not build the actuator into the traditional turn-key ignition?
Yeah, I think that the traditional system should work just fine. Realistically, we just would need to send an electrical signal to basically hit play. I think we could use the same power that a stereo uses that enables it to be functional depending on different conditions. I do think an on/off switch would be nice to have as well though.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by gautch:
[B]i wonder if you can take this a little farther. Iv seen an app that makes a USB drive lock your computer when disconected (even a bluetooth version). Can you create somthing that locks your car from starting. You could wire a USB jack into the wire that is activated when you turn the key. So when there is no USB drive attached the wires dont connect. You plug your drive in and the wire is then connected through the USB drive....

With the bluetooth version, one might be able to set it so when you come with in 2 meters, you car doors would unlock automaticly. No keys required. I know the Toyota Prius has this already along with a few high end vehicles.

It would be cool (K.I.T. car like) to have your car doors unlock and your stereo say "Hello Gautch"......
Keyless & touchless entry would certainly be great to have (I really want it on my house, if we can do it for cars, why not homes? - well, there are other issues, but it's a side topic). If you had enough power to keep a Mac Mini running, you could use Salling Clicker software to do this I bet, but reliability is clearly important. For your startup sound and maybe audio player it would be ok though to have on a software system. I guess if you drop an LCD and Mac in your car anyway this would be fine.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

If you fit the push button, you could get one from a Mac (eBay if you don't have one going spare), maybe put an LED behind it. It would be a cool extra, and pretty simple to do.

skywire4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
It's a 28-pin chip, and it includes extensive hookup diagrams, so see if you can find one at a Radio Shack. This particular model is about a decade old, so it's probably not available anymore, but something similar should be.
If you find anyone that need this ISD1000A chips I still have 300 or 400 foe sell would take
$12.00 each or buy all $10.00 each

skywire4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
If you find anyone that need this ISD1000A chips I still have 300 or 400 foe sell would take
$12.00 each or buy all $10.00 each phone # 1-501-612-7268 cell any time.

Dale

Forum Links
Forum Rules