Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Getting ALL data from iPod to computer

Getting ALL data from iPod to computer
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2007, 07:47 AM

So, 5 weeks ago we were burgled and my iBook was stolen. More annoyingly, my back-up HD was also nicked. So now my only copy of my music, contacts, calendars and, most importantly, photos, is on the iPod.

What's the best way to get all of this back? I've got iPodRip, but that looks like it only does music. BTW, the photos weren't on there as full size, but I'll take whatever I can recover at this stage.

As you'll appreciate, I'm, anxious not to mess this up. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

biscuit

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 09:38 AM

I've been trying to recover a bunch of photos off my iPod (originals were lost with HD failure). After a few days of searching I finally stumbled upon Keith's iPod Photo Reader. It works as advertised. It can read individual .ithmb files or you can point it at the Thumbs folder on the iPod. You can view each photo individually or save the whole set of files to your HD (in PICT format).

But before you get too excited, you have a little work ahead of you after you recover the pictures. At least for me that was the case. The recovered photos were 720x480 (which does not match the original 4:3 aspect ratio). Thus, the photos were "squished". Additionally there was an 8 pixel black border on each side. (So the actual image was only 704x480). Using PS I was able to crop off the 8 pixel edge and restore the aspect ratio to 4:3. (I automated this task by recording an Action in PS and then just applied that to each photo).

Hope this helps.

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks Atheist, I'll try that.

My concern now is that if I get the music off with iPodRip, the photos will go the next time I update. I guess I need to do it all at once.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on getting contacts off there?

biscuit

Forum Links
Forum Rules