Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anybody installed ram themselves in Mini?

Anybody installed ram themselves in Mini?
mulletman13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hey all, my girlfriend just picked up a Mini (shes a switcher) and keeps complaining about beach ball... so I've decided I'll take a 512 stick out of my PowerMac and put it into her Mini.

Has anybody else done this? Can I use something other than a metal putty knife? That looked a little... scary to use. I've seen that video, but I'd appreciate any other input from people that have opened the case.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 07:56 PM

The metal putty knife is the exact tool Apple says to use in their service manual. I'd follow their advice.

bitjumper
Feb 2, 2005, 09:47 PM

I just upgraded my RAM today. I can't imagin anything other than the putty knife working well. Upgrading the RAM is very easy compared to the HD. I've done both now. Performance difference is fantastic. It's the fastest Mac I've owned now.

Erik

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by bitjumper:
I just upgraded my RAM today. I can't imagin anything other than the putty knife working well.
Hahaha! Proven wrong! I have to say that I know that it looks like if I were a total redneck, but the 1 GB RAM stick just came today and I did't have an Apple approved putty knive", so I used these "tools":

I was concerned to pry too hard while opening the case, but it really is not a big deal. Just watch that you don't scratch the aluminum enclosure before the knive is in the crack.

EDIT: exchanged "tomorrow" with "today". Damn foreign languages�
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Feb 3, 2005 at 08:13 AM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:23 AM

It's pretty easy to do. If you want to used the "approved" tool. You can go to sear, Home Depot, Loewes Or one of those stores and pick up a 1.5 inch 38mm Putty knife. you should also bevel the edge as well with some sand paper. It's not very necessary to do but that's what is says in the service Manual.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MacME
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 11:31 AM

excuse my ignorance, but why do you need a putty knife? isn't installing memory in the MINI the same as installing memory in a PC? i've never need the use of any thing aside from my hands to install memory, even with notebook memory. or is it because of the small form factor of the MINI that requires the use of the putty knife to get the memory out in an awkward position?

i'm curious since i plan on purchasing a MINI and installing 1gig myself. thanx!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by MacME:
excuse my ignorance, but why do you need a putty knife? isn't installing memory in the MINI the same as installing memory in a PC? i've never need the use of any thing aside from my hands to install memory, even with notebook memory. or is it because of the small form factor of the MINI that requires the use of the putty knife to get the memory out in an awkward position?

i'm curious since i plan on purchasing a MINI and installing 1gig myself. thanx!
You need to open the case with the knive. Installing RAM in a Mac is normally pretty easy. But as you guessed, the small from factor of the mini needs to be payed tribute�

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
You need to open the case with the knive. Installing RAM in a Mac is normally pretty easy. But as you guessed, the small from factor of the mini needs to be payed tribute�
It's nothing to do with the size.
The low target price point forced Apple to use a row of plastic clips instead of screws.

MacME
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 12:53 PM

oh the knife is to pry the case open and has nothing to do with installing the memory itself. okay, gotcha!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
The low target price point forced Apple to use a row of plastic clips instead of screws.
That's something I've wondered about.

Are plastic molded clips really cheaper than screws? I can hardly imagine.

I was guessing screws required more space because Apple would have needed to put a screw thread in the corners of the plastic mold and since they are trying to save every mm they chose to use clips instead...

Forum Links
Forum Rules