Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .wmv to .mov conversion issue?

.wmv to .mov conversion issue?
bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 10:37 AM

Okay, I have a .wmv file that I want to convert to .mov

Tried to do it in ffmpegX, just dinged like it was done in a split second, no file created.

Used MPEGStreamclip, works a while starts the conversion, but watermarked the file with a huge flip4mac logo. I don't even have flip4mac installed. I have WindowsMediaVideo for mac.

I just want to make it a .move to make it more friendly with frontrow...any suggestions?

thnaks,

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 11:28 AM

isquint?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
I don't even have flip4mac installed. I have WindowsMediaVideo for mac.
Can you be more specific? Because MS now links directly to Flip4Mac, making it the "official" WMV for mac solution.

I just want to make it a .move to make it more friendly with frontrow...any suggestions?
If you just open the movie and save it as a reference movie (QTPro or there are free ways as well), then use the reference movie with Front Row (but hold on the the original of course, hence the name "reference"), it will eliminate that long delay when opening. It might improve seek times as well, but that will be much less noticeable if it happens at all.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 01:16 PM

Another option is to open the movie in MPEG Streamclip, choose "Save As..." and save the file as a "MOV." Basically, it will create a .mov file with a .wmv inside of it.

You could try the Export Wizard in VLC, but the results can vary widely.

EDIT: one more thought. Front Row can play .wmv files: just leave them in your Movies folder.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 01:27 PM

Or you could use iSquint.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Or you could use iSquint.
Are you the author or something?

If you need to transcode a file for the iPod or AppleTV, iSquint is a good choice. But if you don't need to transcode, this is the best/fastest/cheapest way:
...open the movie in MPEG Streamclip, choose "Save As..." and save the file as a "MOV." Basically, it will create a .mov file with a .wmv inside of it.
No transcoding = speedy.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

No, I'm not the author, but I went through this a while back - I seem to recall having the same trouble the OP was having with needing to update flip for mac. If your method does not require this, then I beg your humble pardon.

bmcgonag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 05:23 PM

I'll try the save as again in MPEGStreamClip, but the first time, I'm sure all of the save as options were greyed out...only the export options were active.

I'll update you to let you know how it goes.

Got rid of Windows Media Video, and installed Flip4mac viewer...we'll see.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help,

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Are you the author or something?

If you need to transcode a file for the iPod or AppleTV, iSquint is a good choice. But if you don't need to transcode, this is the best/fastest/cheapest way:

No transcoding = speedy.
Actually, saving a reference movie is even faster. No copying or encoding, just about instantaneous.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 12:17 PM

If there's no transcoding, then simply sticking the video into a .mov container is not going to make it any FrontRow-friendlier.

I suggest just using Flip4Mac and leaving them as .wmv video.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 12:25 PM

Yes it is, because Flip4Mac has to re-parse the file every time you open it, often taking several to many minutes doing so for large files, especially on non-top-of-the-line hardware. Once the file is parsed, and saved as a mov, that information is stored in various lookup tables in the mov file format, and opening the mov is more on par with the speed of other movs.

bmcgonag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 12:36 PM

Well, just to fill you in, VisualHub did the trick. Thanks.

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yes it is, because Flip4Mac has to re-parse the file every time you open it, often taking several to many minutes doing so for large files, especially on non-top-of-the-line hardware. Once the file is parsed, and saved as a mov, that information is stored in various lookup tables in the mov file format, and opening the mov is more on par with the speed of other movs.
Interesting. Did not know that.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules