Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Confused about formatting new HD while cloning

Confused about formatting new HD while cloning
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2010, 11:44 AM

I'm about to clone a new hard drive that is in an external closure from my internal HD using Disk Utility but have gotten a little confused about the steps. Do I first need to format it (selecting GUID partition when that window comes up?) or will it happen as part of the "restore" option when I clone it in Disk Utility?

A tech support person at OWC told me last week that I did not need to and then I've found this from someone on another forum:

"All you have to do is attach the new drive and then open Disk Utility and Restore the drive in your MB to the new new drive. Specify your current MB drive as the "source" and the new drive as the "target" of the restore. You don't have to format the new drive before the restore. It'll happen as part of the "restore" op. (In fact if the new/target drive is already formated, Disk Utility will ask you if you want to erase/reformat it)."

Sorry to belabor this subject but this is my first time doing a hard drive clone and swap and just don't want to mess it up. And I trust this forum above all other sources.

Thanks.

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2010, 03:18 AM

I would say go ahead and format the drive in HFS+ with GUID partition table. You have to use the GUID so that they drive will be bootable.

I would also say download Carbon Copy Cloner from Carbon Copy Cloner - Home and use that for the clone.

It's very simple and it takes all the wonder out the equation. You select your internal drive as the source, and your new drive (external) as the destination, check 'copy everything' and below that it should tell you 'This drive will be bootable.' Then just click the Clone button and enter your admin password.

When it's done, you can reboot from the USB (external) drive to make sure that it works by holding down the 'Option' key when before the chime sound on reboot. Select the USB drive with the name you gave it, and make sure it boots with no issues. If all goes well, you are ready to switch drives.
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2010, 03:22 AM

No need for CCC.

No need to format before cloning.

Disk Utility gives you the option to "format before restoring" (it's a little checkbox at the bottom). That's it.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2010, 11:58 AM

Hey there,

Thanks for all the hand-holding in this process. I am very happy to report that I've successfully, formatted, cloned, booted from the new HD in the enclosure and just now
completed swapping the old Fijitsu for the new Seagate Momentus 500. What a difference more disk space makes. When I first began this process I was very nervous about screwing up my computer and doing irreversible damage, but it's been a great learning experience--especially when it all went so smoothly.

For the record, I learned there are many roads one can take to get to this end result and, thanks to this forum, here is the route I chose:

1. I formatted the new HD first, using Disk Utility. So I took that extra step. But as SH says it's not necessary.

2. Used my OSX Installation CD to boot my computer and used Disk Utility to "Restore". This made sense to me to not use Disk Utility from the Applications program, although these instructions were offered many times. Also, although Carbon Copy Cloner is highly recommended here, I did read where some folks had problems with their new HD not being bootable after the cloning process was done, so again, it made sense to use what Apple has included--Disk Utility.

3. Checked that the "cloning" worked and was able to boot no problem from the new HD that was in the enclosure.

4. Took the new HD out of the enclosure, removed the original HD from the Macbook and replaced it with the new HD which is working just great.

Again many thanks to everyone for their tips, tricks and sound advice. I saved a bundle and a half in buying a new HD and some memory vs getting another Macbook at this point.

ClaraT

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2010, 01:28 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules