Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Crowdfunding Critic: Klug Home Smart Hub

Crowdfunding Critic: Klug Home Smart Hub
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 5, 2016, 03:22 PM

I'm back again with another Crowdfunding Critic, this time with a topic very near and dear to my heart: "smart" products. I've tested more smart devices than I can count at this point, and now there's a company out there that is ready to make all my efforts worth it: the Klug Home, a device of "context."

But what is Klug Home? Well, aside from having a somewhat unfortunate name, Klug Home is a great idea. It's a hub for all your home's smart devices. Intraix, the developers of Klux Home, make a compelling point in their Indiegogo mission statement, stating:

"Smart home technology can be overwhelming. Many of what we call 'smart' or 'connected' devices are not 'smart' because these smart devices are disconnected from each other, and do not have context. Besides, most smart products are merely glorified remote controllers, and require commands to be issued from an app. Truly smart devices are those which are able to automate your life by making sense of your surroundings and your personal preferences."

Well, they're not wrong. On my phone alone, I've got an app for my smartbulbs, an app for my router, an app for a few of my outlets, an app for my Apple Watch, an app for my printer, an app for my music -- the list goes on, and on, and on, and on. And they're right -- none of the apps really work together. My iPhone has become a glorified remote control, but up until now, that's what I've been told it's been able to do.

Klug Home aims to change that. Instead of having a dozen (or more) apps on my phone that I'd have to open and manually fuss with every time I wanted to do something, Klug Home manages them for me. It gives these smart devices context when before, they had none. I personally think it's best explained in a simple graph that Intraix has placed on their Indiegogo page.

The graph above illustrates how Klug Home uses inputs from multiple sources to create useful outputs. For example, if Klug Home knows I'm waking up because my alarm went off, my Fitbit detects what it deems as "awake" movement, and because I've picked up my phone and taken it to my dresser as I pick out my clothes for the day, it springs into getting the day started for me. It turns on my lights, starts up my electric kettle, and turns the thermostat to whatever I like it to be in the morning. By the time I've showered, I've got hot water for coffee, my heater has brought my apartment temperature up to a comfortable 70 degrees, and I don't trip and fall down the steps in the pitch black that is winter in Northern Pennsylvania. All I had to do was wake up. Of course, you can also give it vocal commands, either through Siri, OK Google, or Alexa, and Klug Home is more than happy to oblige.

I'm the first to admit that while Klug Home sounds incredible, I'm rightfully wary. To anyone who has started integrating smart devices into their "dumb" home, chances are you've probably already had some rather annoying, and often jarring experiences. For example, I've tried out a fair number of smartbulbs at this point, and while I love the idea of them, the concept of an app-controlled light isn't a perfect one yet. When suddenly your lighting solution depends on a frequently-updated app and a stable Bluetooth connection, things tend to go off rails pretty fast.

In my first round of comparing three smartbulbs, only one continued to work as advertised in the three months I ran the test. Not promising, and certainly not a strong case for upgrading your home to a fully smart one. My biggest fear is that the additional middle-man of Klug Home would probably be more than enough to screw up some of my smart devices (which already often prove that they're not all that bright to begin with) and when you're dealing with devices that control your heating, cooling, and home security, that is enough to make me a bit worried.

My other big issue is that Klug Home expects you to go into this without having already decked your house out in "smart" products. While Klug Home works with many different kinds of smart products, it doesn't -- and couldn't -- work with the majority. For instance: I rallied behind the Misfit Bolt when it came to picking a smartbulb, because in the time that I've had it, it's the only one that hasn't given me any problems. Klug Home does not work with the Misfit, and instead works with the far more expensive Philips Hue.

I haven't tested the Philips Hue, and I don't plan on swapping out my Bolts just to tether them together with Klug Home. It's the same for other products, as well. If you're new to the smart home scene, though, and you're willing to invest in the products that Klug Home currently works with, Klug Home is actually a neat idea. I've included a list of products that Klug Home works with, just so you can get an idea of what the cost is going to be.

I am going to make a special note here and say that Klug Home does make their own smart outlet, which can turn existing lamps and other "plugables" into smart devices. This is a strong selling point for the Klug Home, as having a smart plug that has been designed to work with Klug Home from day one is a great way to make potential skeptics, such as myself, a little less worried about the investment.

I want to make this perfectly clear, by the by: I'm not trying to dissuade you from backing Klug Home, or from bringing your house up to speed with all the other conveniences that our portable tech has allotted us. I am, however, trying to make sure that you know what to look out for as you make the jump.

If you're already whipping out your credit card, Klug Home has some interesting reward tiers for you to take part in. Starting at $80, you can get your own Klug Home (it's worth noting that the device will retail for $110 in the future,) and there are a few other tiers that include some Klug Home smart plugs. I'm not sure why they don't offer a "supporter tier," where those interested in seeing the product succeed can donate $5 or $10, but they don't. Klug Home has just under three weeks left to go, and quite a ways to go, so we suggest jumping in now to show your support and to help fund the project to their $30,000 goal.

-- Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)

Developers: Are you starting a crowdfunding project you'd like us to take a look at? Shoot us an email and let us know what you're up to.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2016, 10:24 AM

Think I'll stick with my z-wave devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules