Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have you heard the Grey Album?

Have you heard the Grey Album?
WhaMe
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 12:24 PM

Has anyone listened to the Grey album yet? What are your thoughts? I loved it on first listen.

A little background... DJ Dangermouse mixed the vocals from Jay-Z's Black album with instrument loops from the Beatle's White album. Of course EMI has sent a Cease and Desist letter for the unapproved use of the Beatle's music. But the album can be found out there.

There are a couple of other similar albums out there as well. Kevin Brown has released the Brown Album which is a jazz/funk infused mix of the Black album, which I also recommend.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 01:09 PM

Jaz-Z + Beatles ???
What has the world come to ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2004, 01:11 PM

It's pretty vile.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 01:12 PM

more like the Ghey Album

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
more like the Ghey Album
sung by Ghey Z

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 01:37 PM

It's off the hook. It cast the black album in a whole new light. I think I like the sound of the original just a little better, but conceptually and technique-wise the grey album is the better of the two. It's on my iPod for sure.

memento
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 02:19 PM

Isn't that just The Black Album that's been left out in the sun?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 03:12 PM

lame

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2004, 03:21 PM

It reminded me of that hip Clay Aiken vinyl.

It's the only way to listen to it.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2004, 03:40 PM

I would like to be able to get this....

Homework for the weekend I guess
Who reads this???

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 06:29 PM

I got it a few weeks ago from acquisition, not bad considering its not my thing.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 06:34 PM

It doesn't sound pretty, that's all I'll say.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 06:38 PM

In fact, I'd say that it's in the same league as this beauty:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Apprentic...reffffired.mp3

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 12, 2004, 06:53 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 21, 2004 at 12:41 PM. )

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 07:02 PM

It's a well done album IMO.

Just for the background information:

http://www.greytuesday.org/

Sniffer gone old-school sig

OH-N'omac
Mar 12, 2004, 07:32 PM

I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to. I never really liked Jay-Z much, but he's better on this than on a lot of the singles I've heard him rap on and DJ DangerMouse really made the two sources play well together. This album was on repeat in my car for a few weeks after I first got a copy.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2004, 08:43 AM

It's well done. Some of the songs are a bit chaotic though.

The ones that really shine through are Public Service Announcement and December 4th. The latter one fscking rocks. Other than that I prefer the originals.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 08:29 PM

Music with a concept is, usually, never a good thing... So I was skeptical at first, but after a couple of listens i really started to hear it for what it is, a perfectly relevent piece of work that stands up on its own. I'm into it. And whether you like hiphop or not (i do), you've got be impressed that every sound you hear came from that one Beatles album.

I read that the record labels wouldn't touch it, the fools! But then again, maybe there wouldn't be so much intest in it, if it were easily available?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2004, 10:41 PM

i got it a while ago and loved it on the first listen. it is a great piece of work.

cschmelz
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
Music with a concept is, usually, never a good thing... So I was skeptical at first, but after a couple of listens i really started to hear it for what it is, a perfectly relevent piece of work that stands up on its own. I'm into it. And whether you like hiphop or not (i do), you've got be impressed that every sound you hear came from that one Beatles album.

I read that the record labels wouldn't touch it, the fools! But then again, maybe there wouldn't be so much intest in it, if it were easily available?
I really like it too... Very unique and catchy--

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 16, 2004, 12:28 PM

Utter crap. Sounds like somebody just took some jayz accapellas and put them ontop of a beatles album in acid or ableton live or something like that.

I dont see the hype. And its illegal. Any idiot can take a beatles album and mash it up like has been done, no great achievment.

I like the cover artwork, too bad the music is crap.

If some unknown DJ wants to get their name out there, apparently the way to go is to just illegally steal somebody elses famous music and release it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Utter crap. Sounds like somebody just took some jayz accapellas and put them ontop of a beatles album in acid or ableton live or something like that.

I dont see the hype. And its illegal. Any idiot can take a beatles album and mash it up like has been done, no great achievment.
That's exactly NOT how it's done. Jay-Z has released acapellas of his album with the sole intention of letting DJs remix the hell out of it. The tracks are not straight bootleg mashing (putting an acappella on top of an instrumental), but rather unique tracks consisting of cut up samples and loops from The Beatles White Album. The mix as a whole is rather mediocre but December 4th and Public Service Announcement are golden.

I'm going to a Paul McCartney show in june where he has promised he will perform Beatles tracks that have never been performed live before. I can't wait.

Being a Beatles fan and a musician (as well as a fan of music in general) I have no trouble about this being done (neither has my died in the wool Beatles-fan friend, in fact he liked it even more than me). I doubt Paul himself has any troubles with it. In fact I'll ask him about it if I run into him

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 04:16 PM

Grey
Limewire>Listen>Delete
"Whut mo can a say"

Forum Links
Forum Rules