Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread.

The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread. (Page 17)
aged
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
All very true.

- Steal the private browsing but make it one better. Add security to Workspaces so I can have them password protected. Lets say I want my "Bank" workspace to never allow anyone in unless they type in a password. Use the keychain of course. Have it also timeout. There is a nice feature like this (kinda) in Mozilla 1.7

BZ
Padlocking the actual workspaces would be a handy and direct way to manage security. Currently, I manually move OW-created keys in Keychain.app to a separate keychain that is set to time out relatively quickly; if I leave my browser open my bank sites are not accessible but my email can still download. Control from within OW of which keychain is used would be a nice integrative way to do it. This has the advantage of separating the aggregating in Workspaces and the typifying of sites in terms of their password timeout characteristics. Also, being able to temporarily suspend or review the automatic sending of passwords would be nice, too. Like a good OW user, I want it all and I want to be able to combine methods.

milhouse
Senior User
Jul 10, 2004, 12:16 PM

OW5 beta (8 et al) constantly crashes on my Panther machines (DP 1.25 G4 w/2GB RAM and fresh install of the OS on a DP 1.8 G5 w/ 1GB RAM).
I've run it with and without haxies etc.

I was looking forward to the new feature set especially workspaces but it just won't run for me. It crashes within 5 or 10 minutes every time I use it

It doesn't seem that (m)any others have the same problem...
"-Dodge This"

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 02:38 PM

Nope. I would suggest flushing cache and deleting all preferences, etc.

It crashes on me, but once every few days.

BZ

Originally posted by milhouse:
OW5 beta (8 et al) constantly crashes on my Panther machines (DP 1.25 G4 w/2GB RAM and fresh install of the OS on a DP 1.8 G5 w/ 1GB RAM).

I was looking forward to the new feature set especially workspaces but it just won't run for me. It crashes within 5 or 10 minutes every time I use it

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by milhouse:

When OmniWeb isn't running, delete or temporarily move the following items from these locations:

1) ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5

2) ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5

3) ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist

Also, try disabling any third party plug-ins (Preferences>Plug-ins) or making sure you have the very latest versions of each.

GeeYouEye
Jul 16, 2004, 01:32 AM

As of b8, it's good, but still eats up HD space like no other, on the order of a GB every couple hours. Really a problem on an almost-full iBook hard drive. Oddly enough, it seems to go through it faster when idle than when in use.
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 12:53 PM

[*]We don't have an automatic gateway to BugMeNot.com, but we can remember passwords once they've been used once. I've already been looking into an Addon to provide automatic BugMeNot lookup.[/list]
This is easy! Just set up a shortcut (I use "bmn") to the following URL:

Code:
javascript:void(window.open('http://bugmenot.com/view.php?mode=bookmarklet&url='+escape(location),'BugMeNot','location=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=385,height=450'))
Notice that there are no spaces in that URL. UBB seems to be putting a space in "javascript" for some reason.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
UBB seems to be putting a space in "javascript" for some reason. [/B]
Maybe that is to prevent inline javascript. That might enable a poster to post code which would automatically execute.

nat
Jul 16, 2004, 02:22 PM

slow and slow. Compared to Mozilla, Firefox and Camino it's a dog. All 3 of these are slighter faster than Safari and about twice as fast as OW.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 16, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by nat:
slow and slow. Compared to Mozilla, Firefox and Camino it's a dog. All 3 of these are slighter faster than Safari and about twice as fast as OW.
Not after you upgrade to Safari 1.3 it ain't.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by nat:
Thanks for your input!

Several things you probably don't know:

(1) it's still BETA.
(2) it's still running off an old version of webcore/javascript core - updates will gain all the speed benefits of these fixes
(3) NONE of the other browsers you listed have anything approaching the feature set of OW - the power user features in OW make up for whatever few seconds I lose each day from any rendering lag. (Yes - you might be able, after downloading several plugins, to get Firefox or Mozilla to have most of the OW capabilities, but even then, you'd have whatever slowdown is associated with having such plugins, and you'd have to worry about keeping those individually up to date, etc. - a much bigger time suck than a few seconds in rendering) - If you don't use these power features, you're probably better off sticking with something else - Camino or Safari.
cpac

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Thanks for your input!

Several things you probably don't know:

(1) it's still BETA.
(2) it's still running off an old version of webcore/javascript core - updates will gain all the speed benefits of these fixes
(3) NONE of the other browsers you listed have anything approaching the feature set of OW - the power user features in OW make up for whatever few seconds I lose each day from any rendering lag. (Yes - you might be able, after downloading several plugins, to get Firefox or Mozilla to have most of the OW capabilities, but even then, you'd have whatever slowdown is associated with having such plugins, and you'd have to worry about keeping those individually up to date, etc. - a much bigger time suck than a few seconds in rendering) - If you don't use these power features, you're probably better off sticking with something else - Camino or Safari.
and

(4) Speed is highly machine dependent. OW is almost as fast as Safari, which is faster than Camino on my PowerMac. On my laptop, it's different.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 02:20 AM

Hurray!

OmniWeb 5 release candidate 1 is up.


King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Hurray!

OmniWeb 5 release candidate 1 is up.
Good my Beta expired an hour ago. I was going to cry...

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 06:01 AM

Seems a bit faster for me (loading pages)

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
Seems a bit faster for me (loading pages)
Same here. Starting OW is much faster, menus open a lot faster, and page d/l is certainly not slower.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 09:25 AM

Only got to play with it for a few minutes before going to work (Damn Windows 2000), but it did seem faster in those minutes.

BZ

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2004, 09:27 AM

Dis+amn...this is great!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 09:49 AM

I still get graphical "tearing" that lingers in the window if I scroll while the page is loading. It remains until I scroll past the torn region. It's rare, but it clearly still happens.

It happened on the *third* page I loaded after startup (www.macminute.com).

Yes, I deleted all of the preferences before launching.

Dual 500 G4, OEM ATI Radeon, Mac OS X 10.3.4.
Only other running apps at the time: Adium, Safari, Finder.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 11:26 AM

License question:

I have two machines at home but one license. OmniWeb seems to check the local network for other copies running on the same license #. When OmniWeb is running on one machine, launching on the second brings up the "unlicensed" diaglog box.

Am I correct in assuming that OmniWeb requires two licenses to run on two home computers owned by the same person?

I'll buy a second license if this is the case, but i just wanted to verify if this is necessary for home & education users.


GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 12:37 PM

Running beautifully on my 17 Al, I was hoping I wouldn't like it as I really don't want to have to pay to replace the perfectly adequate safari - but it is proving hard to resist.

If only I could work out how to block Google text ads, like Pithelmet does, my browsing would be complete.
I have Mac

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 01:33 PM

running pretty well so far, everything working as advertised with very nice responsiveness
i look in your general direction

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 01:56 PM

Yup. You need two.

Although, I there is a difference between a "personal" and a "computer".

OmniDudes?

BZ

Originally posted by Cadaver:
License question:

I have two machines at home but one license. OmniWeb seems to check the local network for other copies running on the same license #. When OmniWeb is running on one machine, launching on the second brings up the "unlicensed" diaglog box.

Am I correct in assuming that OmniWeb requires two licenses to run on two home computers owned by the same person?

I'll buy a second license if this is the case, but i just wanted to verify if this is necessary for home & education users.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 02:20 PM

from the Omni webpage:

Our software products are usually licensed for a given number of machines or users, whichever is lower. For instance, a single individual with both a laptop and a desktop computer (or, say, a home machine and an office machine) can legally install and use a single license on both machines (though not at the same time). Similarly, a home computer being shared by three family members needs only a single license of the software.

However, the licenses are not "floating" licenses. For instance, a business with twenty users and twenty computers needs to purchase twenty software licenses, even if no more than ten users ever to use the software simultaneously. While the licensing software cannot enforce this restriction, this is the intent of the license, and the understanding under which the licenses are sold.

Our licensing software allows for licenses to be installed in any of three different ways:

Network licenses are globally available to (and shared among) any users on the network.
Machine licenses are available only to users on the machine or machines on which the license was installed. You can install the same license on multiple machines, thus making the licenses available to any of those machines. Machine licenses take precedence over network licenses - a machine license will be claimed if available before a network license will be claimed.
Personal licenses are available only to users who have installed the license as a personal license for their account. You can install the same license for multiple user accounts, thus making the licenses available to any of those users. Personal licenses take precedence over machine or network licenses - a personal license will be claimed if available before a machine or network license will be claimed.

You are free to choose which of these three ways you want to install any licenses you purchase, and you can change your mind at any time.
cpac

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
If only I could work out how to block Google text ads, like Pithelmet does, my browsing would be complete.
Try adding the following into the blocked URLs list.

/.*\.googlesyndication\.com/

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 05:43 AM

thanks =]
I have Mac

trimaniax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 02:19 PM

I'm still having the problem of "beachballing" when Mail.app tries to open Omniweb when I click on a link in an email message. I've only noticed this problem though when rating a movie in an email message from Netflix.

torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 07:32 PM

Please please tell me there is some easy way to block flash ads. I HATE them. HATE them. There's gotta be a way to do it. TIA.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
Please please tell me there is some easy way to block flash ads. I HATE them. HATE them. There's gotta be a way to do it. TIA.
Add this line to the block list:

/.*\.swf

This will stop all flash files. If you see flash you want, just click on it and it will load. Or for an all flash site you can add them to your white list or turn off add blocking in the site preferences.

-matt

torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Add this line to the block list:

/.*\.swf

This will stop all flash files. If you see flash you want, just click on it and it will load. Or for an all flash site you can add them to your white list or turn off add blocking in the site preferences.

-matt
I tried that. It doesn't work. I've searched through the source for the page and I can't find where it comes from. I suspect it's from some sort of script. Any other ideas?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
I tried that. It doesn't work. I've searched through the source for the page and I can't find where it comes from. I suspect it's from some sort of script. Any other ideas?
What page is it?

-matt

torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
What page is it?

-matt
forums.appleinsider.com has some, http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/ has some. It's not everytime because not every ad is flash. It's damn frustrating when it is.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 10:07 PM

"Please please tell me there is some easy way to block flash ads. I HATE them. HATE them. There's gotta be a way to do it. TIA."

Go to Omniweb preferences -> Plug-ins, and uncheck "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC"
and "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave"

Works like a charm.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by squilla:
"Please please tell me there is some easy way to block flash ads. I HATE them. HATE them. There's gotta be a way to do it. TIA."

Go to Omniweb preferences -> Plug-ins, and uncheck "Shockwave Flash NP-PPC"
and "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave"

Works like a charm.
or less drastically, block flash using the ad blocker, (blocking .swf or whatever it is), and then you can either allow it when you want/need it by clicking on the particular blocked section, or turning off the filtering in the per-site preferences (this works pretty well as most sites that are really flash-dependent, don't have many ads).

That said, I'm sure the omni folks are looking for a good way to make filtering specific flash ads easier.
cpac

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 21, 2004, 10:56 PM

I visited the Appleinsider forums and what flash I saw (they were at the bottom of the page) was blocked.

Try adding a simple .swf to the blocklist; no reg ex just .swf

If you find a specific page that always has an unblockable ad post a link.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 07:27 AM

not a crasher yet, hooray.

i wonder if there's any plans to add a web archive/save full web page option anytime?
i look in your general direction

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by pliny:

i wonder if there's any plans to add a web archive/save full web page option anytime?
Yeah, no FC crashes here either. I've been really slamming it with a ton of tabs in multiple workspaces too. Very nice.

-matt

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 12:18 PM

I got a single crasher - seems related to the quicktime plugin trying to play a .mid file - but other than that it's been rock solid
cpac

ambush
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 10:41 PM

where is gmail/hotmail support?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by pliny:

I would kill for this. Instead I just pop open Camino and use it for this purpose.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 10:55 PM

RC2 is up

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
It's coming in 5.1. Works great, along with a bunch of other stuff which is currently broken in 5.0.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
Hotmail support? Hotmail works just fine in 5.0. Although, I think you might have to set a site preference for hotmail.com so OmniWeb identifies itself as Safari.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 09:21 AM

Can I see image properties(size, source, etc) in OW 5.0? How?

Thanks.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
It's coming in 5.1. Works great, along with a bunch of other stuff which is currently broken in 5.0.
That is certainly good to hear. 5.0 RC 1 and now 2 are looking great. Very stable and fast for me. Looks like 5.0 final is right around the corner.

-matt

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Jul 27, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
Can I see image properties(size, source, etc) in OW 5.0? How?

Thanks.
Well, one way is to open the Page Info pane (under View), which will list all of the current page's elements, and it'll show the dimensions of each image too. Not sure if there's any other way, though.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jul 27, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
Would one of the broken things that's working in 5.1 be the persistant cache? Please?
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Gavriel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 04:35 PM

I was wondering if someone would like to share their OmniWeb Ad-blocking lists with the rest of us, or, alternately, point in the direction of pre-made alternatives? It makes more sense that we share our lists rather than each individual going through the hazzle of making their own.

Pretty please?

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 29, 2004, 05:16 PM

I tried to share it but there's no quick way to just copy all of them and paste it.

I'd have to double click each line and copy/paste individually, that would kind of suck. No go on drag/drop either.

Gavriel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 11:13 PM

Then make "Backup and Restore OW Ad-blocking list" a feature request for a future version of OmniWeb 5. Gregomni et al, are you listening?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

Some form of portability for ad blocking lists and shortcuts is one of my priorities... it'll be in either a 5.x.x update or a separate Addon release not long after the debut of 5.0.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules