Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Entourage '04 & Silk 2.0.6

Entourage '04 & Silk 2.0.6
Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 02:37 PM

Okay, here's the deal. I can get it to work together, but only with 1 or 2 fonts. If i try and use any Open Type font, or what appears to be any Post Script font I am getting garbled text in only certain areas of the application. I know there are Silk users here and i'm wonder if anyone else is having these issues. I have been in contact with the Unsanity LLC Team. They are thinking it's a corrupt font or a duplicate font issue, however my font folders and clean, really clean. And it doesn't seem to be an issue with Suitcase, or any fonts that are active in Suitcase. Thanks for the help!

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 08:40 PM

See what Handel Gothic Light has done... No one and I mean no one uses any thing else.. Thanks a lot DJ...

burgessa23
Aug 24, 2004, 10:38 AM

I'm using eurostyle, it comes with officev.x. entourage seems ok with it, its TTF

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 12:30 PM

Right, i'm using a similar font myself. now try and use some thing like Helvetica Nueve Condensed Bold, or Futura and see what happens.. Also does your Entourage look garbled in certain areas if you disable Silk? It seems that once you run Silk on this app certain font prefs get jacked up.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Aug 24, 2004, 03:06 PM

Orignially posted by Dave-o:
See what Handel Gothic Light has done... No one and I mean no one uses any thing else.. Thanks a lot DJ
I like DJ's screen shots and his mods for existing themes, he is very talented and I sometimes use his guikit mods. However, judging by the screenshots thread, DJ certainly inspires an awful lot of imitators. And Handel Gothic Light or whatever that bloody font is doesn't do a thing for me when its used as a system font.

I have Silk, and I use Helvetica Neue for my system font. However, I have had to put Entourage in the list of "excluded" applications for Silk, because I can't even get Entourage to launch if Silk is enabled (it cores immediately upon launch). It doesn't suprise me in the least that the only types of fonts that would work with Silk in combination with Entourage would be TTFs. I've found with replacing fonts in Silk, its all trial and error, and just takes a great deal of experimentation in order to finally replace Lucida Grande with a reasonable looking system font. I would just keep trying if you really want to substitute a different font for Lucida Grande.

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 07:24 PM

Okay i tried doing what you did to get the Helvetica installed.. now my Entourage is still jacked up.. would you mind helping me out mcsharick?

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 12:22 AM

Orginally posted by Dave-o�:
.. would you mind helping me out mcsharick?
Sure, but no matter what font I've chosen in Silk, even Helvetica Neue, it still frags Entourage. What I can tell you is what I've done to essentially continue to use Silk for other applications and as a system font, but take Entourage out of Silk's control so it uses its own default fonts for messages and menus. That is the only way I've been able to get Entourage to work and still have Silk running.

Go to System Preferences and choose Silk, click the "Global / Application Settings" tab. Click the "Add Application..." button and choose Entrourage to add to the "Applications List", then uncheck the "Quartz Options Enabled" checkbox. Next, click on the "Font Settings" tab and at the top right is an option for "Settings for:" and it probably says Global next to it in the drop down list. Click the list and choose Microsoft Entourage, then uncheck the "Font Substition Enabled" option. And for good measure, I would log off and log back in and then try to bring up Entourage.

I'm sorry I can't help you get Entourage to work with Font Substitutions in Silk, but this is the only way I've been able to use both, just not concurrently.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 01:19 AM

One more thing to add as a sort of psuedo workaround. After you take Entourage out of Silk's control, you can then go into Entourage's Preferences and change the font to whatever you've chosen in Silk, at least for proportional fonts, list items and print. The only thing that would not look consistent would be the menu font, it would be obviously your system default.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 01:49 AM

I'm running both TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html) and Silk to replace most of Lucida Grande by Eurostile (TTF).
I've tried mcsharick's approach, and didn't need to uncheck "Quartz Options Enabled". After having Entourage in the App list, I unchecked "Font Substitution Enabled" but at the same time enabled "Custom Theme Font", and set it to Eurostile.
That way, main menu's and window title are in Eurostile. Other elements are customizable through Entourage prefs (not all, like list headers).
Let me add, I'm using Apple's Mail, and this one also takes a somewhat different approach, compared to other app's. I've come to trim it with my favorite Eurostile, but Mail's own preferences don't respond to much else anymore - no way to show lists in any other font.

Well, what I wanted to say : perhaps you should give TinkerTool a try. And, like I've read from others on similar topics : there'll always be a little trace of Lucida Grande popping up somewhere.

Good luck.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 02:27 AM

I just tried this with Helvetica Neue, and it works like a charm. Thank you Gerrit

So Dave-o, combine my solution with Gerrit's changes/additions and you have yourself a total consistent look with Entourage and Silk.

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 09:24 AM

Okay Guys, here is what i ended up with...

Large Image (60k)

Thank for the help.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 10:46 AM

Go to Silk, TAB Font Settings, and pull down to Settings for : Entourage.
Now uncheck the option on the left "Font Substitution Enabled" and the list headers will be Lucida Grande, but at least readable.
(I've used the option "Font Substitution Enabled" on Global only).

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 10:55 AM

that's what i have... i think i might be missing a font that Entourage needs. However, i re-installed the app and nothing has changed. just odd, plain odd...

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 11:10 AM

Have you tried Log Out / Log In ? Restart ?

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
Have you tried Log Out / Log In ? Restart ?
zapped the PRAM x2 too... I think i'm going back to Eurostile and calling this adventure quits.. I have Unsanity working on the issue, or at the very least looking into it.

Still have this feeling that i'm missing a font for Entourage though.. Tech support for this should be fun... I'll post what i find out..

I thank both of you for the hard-core help. I'm hopeful to share a positive solution with you and everyone else in the forum.

Dave-o�  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 12:32 PM

Okay so I search the forums over at MS and the only thing i could come up with was that Entourage used Verdana as an app font. Not the case when i disabled Silk and tested.. still the garbled text as seen above. Guess I'm S.O.L. for now.. But Eurostile isn't so bad right

Forum Links
Forum Rules