Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Distributing video from FCP to Windows users?

Distributing video from FCP to Windows users?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 12:43 PM

What's the best way to export a video project from FCP so that it can be watched in Windows at high quality? I want it to be playable by anyone without having to go download QuitckTime for Windows or VLC or anything like that.

Should I just use QuickTime Conversion to make it an MPEG-4 file with a custom resolution to keep it at the right size? I thought about using Cinepak conversion in a .avi, but that comes out in really crappy quality.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 15, 2005, 12:47 PM

Why not produce a DVD they can pop into their DVD player? Then they can just use whatever software player they want....

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Why not produce a DVD they can pop into their DVD player? Then they can just use whatever software player they want....
Because the client wants to be able to play it on their computers and distribute it themselves as part of their marketing packet. If it were on DVD they'd either need to duplicate it themselves for each packet or shop it out (which they'd want to do anyway so they could get them pressed rather than burned), either way it would be way more expensive and troublesome for them to do it as a DVD. My guess is that they'll want to put it on a CD, probably with other marketing materials. They'll also want a version for the web, but that's easy enough; I do it all the time.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks for sharing all the information....

Encode the Video for a CD then. DivX comes to mind. They want full-frame video?... They want what they cannot have on a CD. How long is the video? If short enough you can probably encode it to go full-frame with decent quality.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 01:58 PM

It's 1 minute long so there's not real worries in terms of file size. Is DivX universal enough? I know it's popular enough among the file sharing community, but what about your average Joe Windows user?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 02:08 PM

Average Joe WIndows user will have a brain hemorage... They are idiots.

--

http://www.shortcourses.com/video/chapter10.htm

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 02:14 PM

Well yeah, but that's still the majority of people...

Oh well, MPEG-4 should be universal enough. If not I guess I can put it in MPEG-2 or something...

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 04:00 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Windows Media player will NOT play an .mp4 file out of the box. I also would not recommend using DivX unless this is something being marketed to computer-y types. If you want Joe Anyone to watch it who may or may not even be connected to the internet, unfortunately your options aren't that great.

I generally use MPEG-1 (VCD) files since they look decent (not great, but decent) at their native size (320x240) and play in just about every media player known to man. All the other .avi options natively available to you through QT/FCP are either crappy looking (Cinepak) or not size friendly (DV).
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by grovberg
I couldn't disagree more. Windows Media player will NOT play an .mp4 file out of the box. I also would not recommend using DivX unless this is something being marketed to computer-y types. If you want Joe Anyone to watch it who may or may not even be connected to the internet, unfortunately your options aren't that great.

I generally use MPEG-1 (VCD) files since they look decent (not great, but decent) at their native size (320x240) and play in just about every media player known to man. All the other .avi options natively available to you through QT/FCP are either crappy looking (Cinepak) or not size friendly (DV).
WMP won't play MPEG-4? What the hell?

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 05:23 PM

Oh it'll play MPEG-4, but it won't play MPEG-4 video encoded into a .mp4 file without a plug-in. Only in a .wmv file. MS decided to make their own psuedo-MPEG-4 standard and shun all others. Bitter at QT I would imagine.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 02:43 AM

divx needs plug-ins
mpeg4 is handled very different on different machines…
"naked" (without any container as .mov or .avi) mpeg2 cannot be handled by every user (the double-clicker can not…)
sorensons & co - need a container as .avi, to be 100% needs low bitrates, very clean compression… tricky…

don't laugh, but for a really universal access try mpeg1 (as on VCD)!
it is an old standard, but thererfore widespreaded…

and EVERY mediaplayer and even the OLDEST PC is able to playback…
the bitrate is … antique, but that means, even a 500MHz machine doesn't stutter…

quality… well, "as on VHS" << to argue with your client

and small file size, can be copied with a faxmachine

Forum Links
Forum Rules