Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is iMovieHD supposed to do this?

Is iMovieHD supposed to do this?
SQLDba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 02:05 PM

I just purchased a dual 2.0 w/ 1gb of ram. I am starting to import movies into iMovieHD. I am doing a direct connect from a Canon ZR40 - firewire to my PM.

After importing an hour worth of video - if I do anything - click anywhere in iMovie after the import - it starts doing a Letterbox process - with a message of "this may take awhile". About an hour later - all the clips have been letterboxed and I can actually start doing something in iMovie.

I noticed there is a preference setting where I can turn this off - so I did so, and imported another movie - and again, before I could do anything else, it had to update the clips or something like that - with another "this may take awhile". About 40 min later, I could use iMovie.

My question is - is this what is supposed to happen? The video tutorials and information I have seen suggest that importing a video is just a couple clicks - and off you go - I know it's not that simple, but I figured that the process of importing from tape would be the most time consuming and that I wouldn't have this 60+ min wait between each import before I could do something....expecially with a dual proc machine.

I've never done much w/ video - so I just need to know what my expectations should be.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2005, 10:19 PM

When you create the video it asks you what format you want to use. Are you chosing HDV? If so, choose DV instead.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 12:54 PM

Sounds like the camcorder is shooting in 16x9 mode, and after import iMovie is rendering the squeezed video to letterboxed video...which might be a necessity depending on how iMovie handles 16x9 DV.

Do things look vertically squeezed or letterboxed on the camera LCD when shooting?

Forum Links
Forum Rules