Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Full Featured UseNet Clients for Mac?

Full Featured UseNet Clients for Mac?
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 10:53 AM

I'll be straight up with you guys. My local fox station developed a problem were it has no sound about half the time, meaning that my wife can't watch the OC. She's a huge fan an therefore pretty pissed about not being able to watch the new season. The cable company isn't fixing it, so I'd like to download the eps we miss, but I can't use Bittorrent (for reasons I won't go into here) so I'm turning to UseNet. So I'm really looking for two things:

A full featured client for the mac that lets me easily find files.

A reliable service provider that has pretty good retention.

Suggestions?

Edit:Oaky, most of you are probably trying to smack me mentally, as I very quickly found that the extremely awesome guys a panic not only make a client, but are a usenet service provider as well. So I'll alter my post to ask, is anyone using this? is it as good as I assume something from panic should be?
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2005, 11:13 AM

Unison is a nice app. I'm not using their service so I can't comment on that, although I hear they have decent retention. I've actually been toying around with the idea of subscribing since Cox's retention stinks...

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 04:40 PM

I can't recommend Panic's Unison (nor their news service) enough. It's cheap, like you say the data retention is very good (I believe it's 2 months of data). If you're considering it - sign up for a month and try it - I haven't regretted it since the service was switched on

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 04:42 PM

Unison works very well, and I used to use EasyNews, until I found that my ISP just outsources to SuperNews, so I just switched to that.

grovberg  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 06:03 PM

Alrighty, Unison it is. For anyone else looking here for answers, I'll point out that they have a bundle that essentially throws in a month for free with purchase of the software, so I'm sold.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Riot Nrrrd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 06:47 AM

I use Unison 1.6.3 with an "unlimited" Giganews subscription ($29.99 a month).

It's the Crack habit of the 21st Century

(I used to use Thoth 1.7.2, which was a good "expert user" newsreader - I actually preferred it to early versions of Unison. But once I realized I spent more time downloading binaries than reading normal text newsgroups, Unison's ease-of-use in assembling binaries came to the fore. Not to mention the fact that there has apparently been no new release of Thoth since 1.7.2 - and that was 2 years ago. The domain - http://www.ThothSW.COM/ - has even been lost in the interim.)

N.B. - An excellent guide to Usenet software (both readers and "helper apps") for the Mac is located here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules