Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > invisible shield - cover for ipods

invisible shield - cover for ipods
reemas
Senior User
Sep 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

has anyone tried any of their products? i saw mention of it on the macnn.com homepage. just wodering how you like it of why you dislike it.

any comments will be useful! thanks.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by reemas
has anyone tried any of their products? i saw mention of it on the macnn.com homepage. just wodering how you like it of why you dislike it.

any comments will be useful! thanks.
Ditto on the question. Just saw another reference to this in another thread, and I'd really like to hear user feedback on this one.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 05:34 PM

i bought it. im not waiting for my nano to get sratched. here's a review but be careful!!!! you have to put wet film on your nano to get this to stick right. (and this review was linked on their site as well.)

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...dFirstLook.htm

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 09:53 PM

Sounds like $20 for an incredible pain in the a$$
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 10:13 PM

I have a film from www.overlayplus.com on order for my nano. I ordered a set of their films for my Motorola Razr, and I couldn't be happier with them. Unlike many of the original iPod screen protectors that the market was filled with (lajo, iskin, etc), these are very thin yet strong films that give the "wet" look when properly affixed. This sounds as if it would be annoying, but when properly applied, you don't even see the film literally at ALL. They've been doing a great job on the two screens on my Razr, and screen of my 60GB iPod.

The only gripe about the iPod model of the overlay is that it just covers the screen and a few mm beyond. It seems from the photo on the website, that the nano overlay covers the entire front.

I'll update this when I receive my nano overlay. If it does NOT cover the entire front, I plan on ordering this invisible shield.

Edited to add: The overlay plus films do not need water for application, and keep the 100% glossy, texture-free look of your ipod, cell phone screen, etc. After investigating the Invisible Shield a bit more, it doesn't seem that great IMO. Protection-wise, probably. Look-wise, it detracts from the iPod glossy texture-free sheen, whereas the other films I prefer make NO difference to the texture or gloss of the product you put them on. Also just to be clear, I am in no way affiliated with either company.
( Last edited by Josh Reid; Sep 22, 2005 at 10:23 PM. )

cryer
Sep 23, 2005, 04:23 AM

josh, would definitely like to hear your review of the overlayplus protector. however, i checked the site and it seems that the single pack only comes with a front protector and click wheel protector. and it looks like its just one single film that covers the entire front so i dont quite know why they list both a front and click wheel protector like they're separate. it seems that they dont include a film for the back so i guess you're forced to buy the twin pack if you want full protection... minus the sides, i guess.

reemas, also looking forward to hearing your review of the invisible shield. i read the rainyday review and it seems like it might not be that risky in using water with the ipod but still.. water with an electronic device doesn't sound so good. and i've also heard that there may be a sort of shimmery/rainbow effect that pixelates the screen after applying the skin. so those two issues are keeping me from totally going with the invisible shield. definitely let us know how you do!

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 04:25 AM

ill write a detailed review with photos aer soon as a i recieve mine. next wed.

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 11:40 AM

ordered Overlay Plus for my girlfriend's nano
I just ordered it as a birthday gift but I have been very worried over the problems I have been reading about

what the hell is going on with the Nano Tubes?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2005, 11:46 AM

I don't have the invisible shield but I did buy a couple of film shields (my Nano is fine but a couple of scratches on the missus').

Don't need to wet it. Works all right. Screen is still useable. I use firm on my Nokia 6630 screen to keep fingerprints off and don't even notice it anymore and this film is the same type.

Also, it comes off and with a quick rub with a Radtech or Oakley cloth and no traces left whatsoever.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 01:18 PM

I bought the Invisible Shield when I read about how scratched the Nano was getting. After about 10 tries to get it lined up I finally nailed it. It doesn't need that much water but it is more than you think. Anybody who gets one will find out, just when you thought you had enough it won't slide at all.

After you get the bubbles worked out and get it just right you just let it dry. It slightly "shrinks" itself to the ipod as it dries. There were a couple spots where I could see the edge just slightly over where I wanted it but once it dried it was perfect. It's because when you squeeze the bubbles out it stretches a tiny bit. If you've seen the review at rainydaymag then you've seen the finish it gives the ipod in the light, but its less noticeable on my white Nano than their black.

Overall I'm impressed, if it keeps my Nano scratch free then I'm happy.

EDITED:
BTW the screen is perfect with this over it. If you want to see that rainbow effect it has to have no backlight and be held at a very specific angle that wouldn't normally allow you to see the screen anyway.
( Last edited by graphixmaker; Sep 30, 2005 at 01:24 PM. )

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2005, 01:28 PM

I got the invisible shield. It ended up getting my nano wet. The buttons click and i think the solution of soapy water got in there. anyways, i spoke with them great customer service. apple also replaced my nano as it was having a minor issue before the water damage.

if the shield didn't require water, it would be the best protection because on a white nano it is invisible unless you look at it closely and know it's on there.

and the material is ridiculously tough and scratch proof.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 06:40 PM

There's another company that makes great screen protectors that don't have the glare and don't require water to apply.

They don't have a nano size yet but a rep there told me that many people are having great success using the Toshiba Geneo e550g template (Their biggest size) and trimming it down. He said they will have a nano template in the next few weeks. So if you need one now, here's the link:

ClearScreen-Toshiba Geneo

I'm planning on ordering one now- btw, don't order the screen protectors from Decalgirl.com- they blow...

-c

unten44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 03:12 AM

After applying the invisible shield on my new video iPod, I tested its strength and made a video of it. Here's a key and coin test.

Check out my video here:
http://www.untenohana.com/archives/v..._scratch_test/

crooner
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by unten44
After applying the invisible shield on my new video iPod, I tested its strength and made a video of it. Here's a key and coin test.

Check out my video here:
http://www.untenohana.com/archives/v..._scratch_test/
unten44, just watched your video. Well done and actually very entertaining. Laughed my a$$ off during the zip lock baggy test.

The invisible shield looks to be a very good protector while still being a bit visible in terms of texture and what not. I am not, however, excited one bit by the prospect of putting a wet film on my iPod.

I have ordered the Invisible Shield am awaiting arrival. In the meantime, I tried two others; the one from Decal Girl and the iDiddy. I can safely say that the iDiddy truly sucks. Was a royal PITA to apply and looked horrible. The one from decal girl was better but is quite visible - to the point of detracting from the sharpness of the screen. BAD!

Ultimately, I think we'll all have to wait for Power Support to release their film for the new 'Pods as their products for previous generation iPods are of spectacular quality.
I've got their screen protector and 3-D wheel protector on my 40GB photo model and they are virtually invisible while providing excellent protection. As an added layer of safety (and style) I also have it encased in a Vaja iVolution case. Can't wait for them to ship the model for the 5Gs.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 09:17 AM

The Power Support film looks nice but it only protects the flat surfaces of the front and back, while the Invisible Shield wraps around the edges. Maybe the ultimate protection is to protect the back with Invisible Shield and the front with Power Support film. But that $45 worth of protection. I think I'll live with Invisible Shield.

Chris

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 09:40 AM

I have the invisible shield and I'm impressed with it. It was a bit difficult to get it to stick to the rounded corners, but after holding it there for a minute or so, it stayed put. I got the front and back protector. I love not having to worry about scratching it and it is almost invisible. Very nice. This replaced my 1G original iPod, which I always kept in a leather case. It still looks brand new, but I don't get to look at it when I'm using it.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 09:42 AM

I just installed my invisable shield last night. I just did the face part and it's very nice. Does what I need it to, and take your time installing it...
- Eric

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 12:15 PM

I have 2 of them, they rock and the customer service is also excellent.
BE SURE TO APPLY IT WITH SOAP AND WATER THOUGH.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 12:16 PM

I have 2 of them, they rock and the customer service is also excellent.
BE SURE TO APPLY IT WITH SOAP AND WATER THOUGH.

sharkabee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 06:23 AM

I just received the invisible shield (the nano was shipped today) and now I found a site that has just the screen protector version, plus the same site has a case it claims withstands running it over with a truck. Since the primary user will be my 15 year old, it's worth it to me to buy both the full shield and aluminum case, but that's admittedly a lot of money ($60) to protect the finish, and it could still be dropped.

https://www.shop.keychainpod.com/dis...9&categoryId=1

I haven't seen a single negative user comment about the invisible shield, other than having to use a little GooGone when Rainy Day Magazine peeled it off as a test. So far, it's only problem is that it seems too good to be true.

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharkabee
So far, it's only problem is that it seems too good to be true.
And you don't see using soap and water on an expensive electronic device as a problem?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Macola
And you don't see using soap and water on an expensive electronic device as a problem?
Apparently, there are plenty of human beings who are perfectly capable of applying these things without ruining their iPods.

I suggest you postpone your crusade-in-the-making until there's a class-action lawsuit you can bandwagon yourself onto.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by crooner
The one from decal girl was better but is quite visible - to the point of detracting from the sharpness of the screen. BAD!
Thanks for the heads-up, though it saddens me.

I was this --><-- close to ordering this one from decalgirl:

I guess I won't.

sharkabee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Macola

If the nano really scratches as easy as people are reporting, that's the incredible pain in the a$$ that has these products looking so good.

The version of invisible shield that leaves the click wheel exposed is probably the better choice for most people anyway (it supposedly looks nicer), and there'd be even less of a concern about any trapped moisture. I'm more concerned about it being taken out on rainy days, so I'm happy to seal it up as much as possible.

b/t/w, the Rainy Day article says the invisible shield now comes with a wetting agent, but that didn't come with the one I just received. Maybe it just comes with the version that leaves the click wheel exposed.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 12:51 PM

Again. I received the invisible shield about two weeks ago.

The trapped moisture DID DAMAGE my iPod nano. It was then replaced by apple and i also got a refund from Invisible Shield.

I read the instructions clearly. Rainy day also says to soak the film in water. Doing so traps moisture and you run a risk when you press buttons.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:21 PM

The one from decal girl was better but is quite visible - to the point of detracting from the sharpness of the screen. BAD!
I've heard quite a few others say the same thing. It also doesn't offer much protection.

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Apparently, there are plenty of human beings who are perfectly capable of applying these things without ruining their iPods.

I suggest you postpone your crusade-in-the-making until there's a class-action lawsuit you can bandwagon yourself onto.
Maybe you need some soap and water yourself Chill...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 02:35 PM

right.

unten44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 01:27 PM

unten44, just watched your video. Well done and actually very entertaining. Laughed my a$$ off during the zip lock baggy test.

The invisible shield looks to be a very good protector while still being a bit visible in terms of texture and what not. I am not, however, excited one bit by the prospect of putting a wet film on my iPod...
Thanks about the video. (http://www.untenohana.com/archives/v...d_scratch_test)

Even though there aren't any scratches, the invisible shield film itself is slightly noticeable but I don't really mind since I can just throw it in my pocket now. I was really paranoid about putting the wet film on too (especially over the click wheel). I used my fingers to squeegee most of the water off before applying the film. The instructions also advise not turning the iPod for 24hrs... maybe this is a precaution if water did get in it?

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 01:57 PM

exactly. If you get some water inside, the best thing to do is NOT turn it on. Doing so can cause a short circuit. If you wait, then the water will dry and it won't matter.

About putting something wet on my ipod, all it does is cover the flat plastic and metal. There is noplace for the water to get in. I have no problem with that. Plus it's just wet, not dripping. That's why I had no problem with it.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 02:00 PM

Thanks about the video. (http://www.untenohana.com/archives/v...d_scratch_test)

Even though there aren't any scratches, the invisible shield film itself is slightly noticeable but I don't really mind since I can just throw it in my pocket now. I was really paranoid about putting the wet film on too (especially over the click wheel). I used my fingers to squeegee most of the water off before applying the film. The instructions also advise not turning the iPod for 24hrs... maybe this is a precaution if water did get in it?

The scratches also self heal over time.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
The scratches also self heal over time.
Did Apple tell you that?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 04:42 PM

Did Apple tell you that?

On the invisible shield smarty.

And I tested it and it is true.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 04:48 PM

The don't self heal, but the shield makes them less visible.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 04:52 PM

The don't self heal, but the shield makes them less visible.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I am talking about any scratches ON the INVISIBLE SHEILD heal themselves over time. Not ones on the iPod itself.

Get it?

crooner
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, though it saddens me.

I was this --><-- close to ordering this one from decalgirl:

I guess I won't.
Hmm... not so fast. Being the compulsive iPod case buyer that I am, I ordered the black iPod skin from DecalGirl in the hopes that it would end up looking, more or less, like there was no cover on it at all (I got a black model, obviously).
I applied it and I have to say it looks pretty cool and does provide a somewhat decent level of protection. The drawbacks are that it doesn't protect the screen, requiring the purchase of DecalGirl's screen cover. This is made from the same material used for the full clear skin and as such does distort the screen's sharpness a bit. This is a drag, but I can live with it for now.
So, if you really dig that Hal 2001 skin, I'd say get it but remember to order the screen protector, too.

Ultimately, I know that once all things are available I’ll end up putting whatever clear skin Power Support offers on the 'Pod and then encasing it in a Vaja leather case. That's what I did with my 40GB photo and it looks great and keeps scratch free.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

tricha6
Nov 5, 2005, 06:05 PM

I bought an Invisible Shield. I was pretty skeptical at first; some of the photos showed a very textured look, and I consider myself pretty particular with my iPod's looks (though if you are considering the invisible shield, you probably are too considering you want zero scratches and no case).

I was very impressed with the shield. It is almost imperceptible once applied properly. There are important caveats. One, applying correctly - at least for me - was difficult. It took several attempts, and while the front is *near* flawless, I have some mistakes on the back. Granted I could have corrected them but after spending 90 minutes my patience was running low. Also, the feeling of the iPod is change. Personally I like it just as well, but your tastes may differ.

I wholeheartedly recommend this product to anyone with the patience and dexterity to get it on right. Even if you plan to put it in a case later on. Some cases actuall cause scratches because they trap dirt between the case and iPod which causes scratches - and an invisible shield prevents this.

I won't be buying a case for my iPod after this. I take good care of my iPods. Granted I don't have drop protection, but bulking my iPod and distracting from its great looks aren't worth it for me.

Your mileage may vary.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 12:14 PM

Latest update...
I was getting more and more annoyed by the lousy appearance of DecalGirl's screen protector (the black skin was okay), so I ordered the following from Overlay.com:

http://www.overlayplus.com/US/dis_pr...%205G%20(Video)

Pros: Extremely clear and easy to apply. Took less than fifteen minutes. Comes with separate films for front, click wheel, button and back of iPod. Provides excellent protection for areas it covers.

Cons: Each film is slightly smaller than the actual section of the iPod it is intended to cover. This leaves the edges around each film exposed a little. Click wheel film does not bond that well with the matte finish of the iPod's wheel.

Pro and Con: can be easily removed (and reapplied).

Anyhoo, I applied the front, wheel and button films and, while the click wheel isn't a perfect seal, the overall appearance is far better than any other I've seen. It’s crystal clear making the screen look gorgeous. However, being that the film for the back was bit smaller than DecalGirl's, I left that skin on. Thus I have a combo of Overlay.com and DecalGirl. I'm fairly pleased with this for now, but will continue to wait for my "ultimate solution."

Hope this info helps you guys.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 10:29 AM

DecalGirl skins look perfect if you hit them with a hair dryer (on low) after application. Try that.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 11:33 AM

Latest update...
I was getting more and more annoyed by the lousy appearance of DecalGirl's screen protector (the black skin was okay), so I ordered the following from Overlay.com:

http://www.overlayplus.com/US/dis_pr...%205G%20(Video)

Pros: Extremely clear and easy to apply. Took less than fifteen minutes. Comes with separate films for front, click wheel, button and back of iPod. Provides excellent protection for areas it covers.

Cons: Each film is slightly smaller than the actual section of the iPod it is intended to cover. This leaves the edges around each film exposed a little. Click wheel film does not bond that well with the matte finish of the iPod's wheel.

Pro and Con: can be easily removed (and reapplied).

Anyhoo, I applied the front, wheel and button films and, while the click wheel isn't a perfect seal, the overall appearance is far better than any other I've seen. It’s crystal clear making the screen look gorgeous. However, being that the film for the back was bit smaller than DecalGirl's, I left that skin on. Thus I have a combo of Overlay.com and DecalGirl. I'm fairly pleased with this for now, but will continue to wait for my "ultimate solution."

Hope this info helps you guys.
I ordered the same thing for both a Nano and full-sized iPod. I say 'a Nano' instead of 'my Nano' because I haven't purchased either product yet - but I intend to very soon, and I wanted the protection from day one.

Like you, I find it bizarre the the back piece for the full sized iPod is smaller than the front. Why would they make it smaller? The edges on the new iPods aren't quite as contoured as they were on the 4th generation models, so I still don't understand the logic in making the back pieces smaller. I'll probably end up custom-cutting a piece of Palm Pilot screen protector film that I have laying around the house for the backing. The nano (deluxe) version provides full protection for both the front and back - so it looks like a winner to me.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 11:36 AM

I meant to say "The edges on the new iPods AREN'T quite as contoured as they were on the 4th generation models..." in my posting above; but the editing function didn't update my post.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac
DecalGirl skins look perfect if you hit them with a hair dryer (on low) after application. Try that.
Even if they look good they don't offer good protection. They are easily scratched through.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2005, 03:48 PM

I purchased one of the invisible shields for my 30gb Vid'pod, and less than 24 hours later it died. I barely got the skin wet, just enough for it to slide, etc. I work around electronics for a living, so I'd like to think I can figure this thing out. Anyway, I took the shield off, and while it's no longer usable, no residue was left behind (kudos to them). I then took the ipod back to apple where they ran some tests and diagnosed a RAM failure. They replaced my ipod on the spot, however Invis is sending me a replacement shield for free, but I don't think i'll be putting that thing on my new new ipod. While I can't prove without a doubt that water did get inside of the ipod, it would be my only guess.

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 06:12 PM

WOW, I got my 60 gb ipod video today I just had to buy the invisibleshield as soon as I saw your video. THANKS.

Dannye
12" PB 1.33Ghz/ 768MB RAM
iMic2 Griffin
300GB External USB/Firewire Western Digital HD
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

crooner
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 07:10 PM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 07:53 PM

Let us know how long that lasts before the corners/edges start peeling off.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 08:02 PM

Let us know how long that lasts before the corners/edges start peeling off.
Hmm.... never had any probs with their products for previous generation 'Pods.

I gather you have?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 08:21 PM

No, I've never used them.

I know of other solutions, though, and most mobile phone display skins, that they will start peeling off after a few weeks/months.

So I wonder.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 09:29 PM

I have yet to see a "protective film" maker show a picture of what the actual product looks like applied to an ipod. All the photos I've seen are obviously just graphics. That really puts me off.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by nayr x
I have yet to see a "protective film" maker show a picture of what the actual product looks like applied to an ipod. All the photos I've seen are obviously just graphics. That really puts me off.
http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...dFirstLook.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules