Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Digitizing Audiotapes

Digitizing Audiotapes
cschmelz
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 06:53 PM

I was wondering what everyone thought was the best way to digitize audio off an analogue tape into my PowerMac G5.

I need to review and archive some paramedic telemetry data which is recorded to analog dictaphone tapes. I have a dictaphone recorder witha headset output, but need to good system to digitize it.

Does the Mic in work good enough or is some other product better?

I will be holding the data for lectures, quality control etc..The audio that comes out of the radios is typical public safety quality (aka analog telephone quality) so it isn't the symphony!

Baryon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:22 PM

Have you tried the Mic in?
I have a dedicated DV converter. Miglia, for example, make little Firewire boxes that accept analogue input and convert them to a digital format. I use a Formac Studio (but I wouldn't recommend it). You then need a cable that goes from headphone jack to composite audio (red and white jacks for left and right audio channels). You put those composite jacks into the converter, and the converter connects to the computer by Firewire.
iMac G5 17in 2.0GHz , 512MB RAM , ATI Radeon 9600 128MB , Mac OS X Tiger / FCE HD / Soundtrack Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules