Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Got my iPod Hi-Fi today

Got my iPod Hi-Fi today
chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 04:20 AM

Went to the Apple Store today. Came home with a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz and an iPod Hi-Fi. Well, also a printer, but whatever.

The iPod Hi-Fi is REALLY impressive. They didn't even have a demo model on the floor yet, so I bought mine, and then we opened it up and plugged in an iPod. Since you've probably all seen packaging pictures floating around, etc... I won't post any. Here are a few observations I've made:

- It's heavier than you think... doesn't feel like much at first, but it gets heavy
- Don't let the white plastic fool you, it feels solid
- Wasn't too impressed with how the batteries loaded in
- Touch sensitive volume bottons work perfectly... reminds me of the 3G iPods.
- It's about the size of a large center channel speaker... about the size of an IM7
- It looks really cool without the grill
- The sound easily filled the Apple Store... people were in awe...
- Sounds better than the Bose Sounddock
- Apple Remote works so well that it controls my MacBook Pro at the same time

All in all, I'm really happy with it.

volcano
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 04:41 AM

So you were able to control Front Row on your MBP as well? Strange.

Can you imagine if someone bought an Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, AND an iPod HiFi? My god, I'd lose my mind trying to keep track of which Apple Remote controls which Apple product. I've got enough remotes in my room right now, anyway.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 04:58 AM

They're all the same remote. They're not made for each specific product. I guess that's one short coming, Apple didn't think about those of us geeks that may have multiple products. So far you can use the same remote on:

- Universal iPod dock
- MacBook Pro
- iMac Core Duo
- Mac mini Core Solo
- Mac mini Core Duo
- iPod Hi-Fi

I guess that's one good reason these are IR remotes and not RF... but the signal still seemed to bounce back to my MBP... hmm....

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 07:58 AM

You can pair each Apple remote with any particular product you want. A machine is triggered by the remote paired with it. By default, all Apple Remotes work with all all products. Here are some Apple Support Docs on the matter...

Pairing with Macs...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302545

Pairing with Universal Dock...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302782

Using with/Pairing with iPod Hi-Fi...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303347

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 08:07 AM

I received my iPod Hi-Fi the other day as well. I am extremely pleased, and very impressed with the system's raw power.

I actually like the fact the one Apple Remote can be used to control both my iMac (Core Duo) and iPod Hi-Fi. Using a digital out connection, the iMac's volume controls are disabled, making the volume buttons on the remote normally useless. However, having that digital out going into an iPod Hi-Fi, allows me to regain volume control using the Apple Remote.

It really fills the room. However, I am also happy to report it performs well at low volumes, which I need my speakers to do. Even at low volumes, a wide spectrum can be identified... and a near perfect balance exists. Podcasts, iTMS video downloads, and DVD all shine as well. It is remarkable how sturdy the casing is, and probably lends to the product's overall weight more than anything else.

I will use primarily in one spot all the time. However, I like the ability to have an easy portable "boombox" on the rare occasions I'll need one.

At first I thought an iPod needed to be detached before it would accept audio from the AUX IN... however, holding the menu button toggles inputs. Pretty neat.

It probably isn't the perfect solution for everyone, but I was looking for a new system... and I hate cluter. So a nice all-in-one speaker solution with such impressive sound performance was perfect for me.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 10:08 AM

Do the closely spaced speakers reproduce stereo well?

Is there noticeable hiss at low or high volumes?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 06:00 PM

I don't think anyone is worried about how it sounds heck 95% of iPod users use the shitty headphones it comes with.

Peoples concerns with the Hi-Fi is it's ugly looks, bulkiness, missing potential, cost and once again it's ugly looks.

"Barwaraaawww"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 09:41 PM

who designed this thing? it's so un-applelike...
big, ugly.
the ipod sticking out of the top looks bad...
reviews (so far) are mixed.

this was a big misstep, an apple event made out of a non-event.
the mini could have been hyped without an event, the rest is just sad...

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 01:15 AM

Why in the name of Zombie Jesus does this thing not even have a video out port so you can see the pics and movies on your iPod?

Even CHEAPER 3rd party ones have it like the M7.

"Barwaraaawww"

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 4, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
I don't think anyone is worried about how it sounds heck 95% of iPod users use the shitty headphones it comes with.

Peoples concerns with the Hi-Fi is it's ugly looks, bulkiness, missing potential, cost and once again it's ugly looks.
I am serious SWG, most people aren't hung up about superficialness as you are. I promise.

And BTW Zombie Jesus? Do you say things to just show your ass?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 03:15 AM

Why in the name of Zombie Jesus does this thing not even have a video out port so you can see the pics and movies on your iPod?

Even CHEAPER 3rd party ones have it like the M7.
Why do you need hi-fi to view you pictures?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Why do you need hi-fi to view you pictures?
Um, cuz Apple is showing this unit as something you put next to your TV. It acts as an iPod doc, charging it yet it doesn't want to put out video even though an iPod is pluged into it?

Even the M7 has this.

"Barwaraaawww"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 10:05 AM

I would seriously dig this new toy if it had wireless build in. Place one in the kitchen, one in the living room, power them all from the PB in the den. Now that would be a good thing. Instead I am left with a big, fat meh.

Although I do like the design, a lot.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 4, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I would seriously dig this new toy if it had wireless build in. Place one in the kitchen, one in the living room, power them all from the PB in the den. Now that would be a good thing. Instead I am left with a big, fat meh.

Although I do like the design, a lot.
I was thinking the same thing... the iPod in hand, and the music anywhere.

THAT would be cool. And it would have been possible.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 07:17 PM

I can't see why people don't like the looks of the iPod Hi-Fi - it's about as simple as can be (excepting the handles). For that reason alone it looks better than any of the other iPod specific speakers out there.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 4, 2006, 08:34 PM

Missed the point of this, the Wookie has.

All about sound quality, iPod Hi-fi should be.

chipchen, impress you, does the Hi-fi's treble?

volcano
Senior User
Mar 4, 2006, 09:05 PM

Well, I just came back from the Apple store, and I must admit: the Hi Fi does have great sound, in all ranges: low, mid, and high. The design impressed me, actually... the simplicity doesn't distract you as much as other systems, so I think you'd be more accustomed to enjoying the music rather than adoring the design.

I still think the price is steep, but I'm not appalled by it like I thought I would be.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 09:27 PM

Eug, I'm currently re-encoding some stuff into Apple Lossless now so I can test it. I'll let you know.

volcano, yea.. I'm not too surprised by the price. I actually think they could have priced these at $499 and still sold a bunch. I am dissappointed at the lack of a video out though...

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Missed the point of this, the Wookie has.

All about sound quality, iPod Hi-fi should be.

chipchen, impress you, does the Hi-fi's treble?
Oh come on. You know for the money you can get some really good systems without needed an iPod to dock to it.

Are you telling me Mac users don't expect the best industrial design on the planet? You're not going to convince anyone here image isn't at the top of the list.

Who here ever mentions the sound quality from their iPods?

I'm sure the Hi-fi sounds great, it is still ugly, missed opportunity, heavy, big and overpriced.

"Barwaraaawww"

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 03:25 AM

About a month ago I visited the apple store to check out the Intel iMacs. While there I took a few minutes to test all the different ipod stereos there by various manufacturers. Relative to their prices they all sounded like crap-- thin, not very musical, etc. I wouldn't buy them even if they were a lot cheaper.

Yesterday I visited the Apple store again hoping to play with a new Mini. They weren't on display yet, but the iPod Hifi was, so i got a chance to give it a whirl. Considering the iPod Hi-Fi is about $50 more than the Bose unit, it's a great deal quality-wise-- it sounds leaps and bounds better than the Bose to me. Sounded much less colored, more full, great bass without distorting or hampering the mids/highs, etc.

I still wish I could have given it a listen with some Apple Lossless in a more quiet environment.

Looks-wise.. yeah I'm not sure I dig the white. I would like the design a lot better if they did it in a high-gloss black. That way you've still got the iPod-esque contoured corners (to distinguish it from just a regular bookshelf speaker).

I'm not sure it's overpriced yet-- the overall quality would have to be determined to decide that. Sound quality is more important than looks and I've seen a lot worse looking speakers out there. This is a bit bigger than most other iPod speaker docks, but even then I like the looks of this a lot better than those other options.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:37 AM

To heck with iPod specific systems. Just get a Mini system that has a radio, good speakers, DVD player, CD player and plug in your iPod to that. It will look better, sound better, work the same and take up the same amount of space.

I got this one for someone as a gift and it is incredible. It even has an output for a seperate subwoofer and tons of video/audio inputs and outputs.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=11&page=1

a $10 radio shack cable will let it work with your iPod just the same.

"Barwaraaawww"

havocidal
Mar 5, 2006, 04:51 AM

omg check out the remote buttons =P

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 10:47 AM

To heck with iPod specific systems. Just get a Mini system that has a radio, good speakers, DVD player, CD player and plug in your iPod to that. It will look better, sound better, work the same and take up the same amount of space.

I got this one for someone as a gift and it is incredible. It even has an output for a seperate subwoofer and tons of video/audio inputs and outputs.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=11&page=1

a $10 radio shack cable will let it work with your iPod just the same.

OMG, that's like a Just-Get-A-CHEAP-PC argument. ie. It's completely unsuited for this task even if it has other features that the iPod Hi-fi doesn't.

P.S. A $10 Radio Shack cable won't cut it. You need a Dock to stereo cable (which I have). The sound quality is improved since it bypasses the iPod's amplifier. They're $30 at The Source (which used to be Radio Shack). [/nitpick]

Lots. This thread demonstrates it.

I'm sure the Hi-fi sounds great, it is still ugly, missed opportunity, heavy, big and overpriced.
I think it looks OK, and heavy doesn't bother me. Price is high, but it's not much more than the Bose unit, but I think the Bose unit sounds crappy.

I haven't had a chance to test out the iPod Hi-Fi myself yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to beat the Bose.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 5, 2006 at 10:55 AM. )

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 01:04 PM

Lots. This thread demonstrates it.
One or 2 threads on a computer forum count as lots?

You're saying that every teenager on the planet that has an iPod got it because they thing it has the best audio quality.

You wanna tell me what "Audiofiles" are doing listening to files compressed at 128KBS?

"Barwaraaawww"

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 01:20 PM

One or 2 threads on a computer forum count as lots?
I and a few others happen to be interested in the sound quality of this eyesore, so why don't you go and pout elsewhere, princess?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 01:21 PM

Oh come on. You know for the money you can get some really good systems without needed an iPod to dock to it.

Are you telling me Mac users don't expect the best industrial design on the planet? You're not going to convince anyone here image isn't at the top of the list.

The much improved D/A converter in the 5G iPod was a good part of what convinced me to get one.

My 1st-gen. iPod's sound quality was mediocre to acceptable, but I knew that going in.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 01:22 PM

I haven't had a chance to test out the iPod Hi-Fi myself yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to beat the Bose.
Agreed.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
I and a few others happen to be interested in the sound quality of this eyesore, so why don't you go and pout elsewhere, princess?

In the original post the 9 points made about the hi-fi only ONE mentioned sound briefly. So don't try to tell me this thread was started to talk about audio quality.

"Barwaraaawww"

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 02:23 PM

In the original post the 9 points made about the hi-fi only ONE mentioned sound briefly. So don't try to tell me this thread was started to talk about audio quality.
No, it was obviously started so that you could monopolize the conversation by focusing solely on looks, all other questions be damned. You think the iPod Hi-Fi is ugly -- we get it.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
No, it was obviously started so that you could monopolize the conversation by focusing solely on looks, all other questions be damned. You think the iPod Hi-Fi is ugly -- we get it.
No I am not against it just because it is ugly. I think everything about it is wrong and I listed ALL the reasons.

You're just saying my only concern is looks.

"Barwaraaawww"

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 03:00 PM

I think we need to recognize that neither the iPod nor the iPod Hi-Fi is meant to serve as a bona fide home stereo system. Both were designed with portability in mind, and a plastic case is less likely to be dented than an aluminum one.

At home, I can use iTunes/VLC to serve media throughout my Cat5e wired house. I have no need to carry an iPod with me from room to room. For parks, beaches, and sporting events, however, an iPod Hi-Fi can serve as a portable boombox, and it seems a lot more rugged than most of the third-party speaker docks out there.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 03:06 PM

I think it looks good and sounds good for the price. It doasnt take up much space and who cares how heavy it is if its only going to sit on a shelf. It would have been good if you could plug it into a tv like you can with a dock.

ben.mcguire
Mar 5, 2006, 05:52 PM

Yeah it sounds good but look at the price!! I mean come on,

sokukodo
Mar 5, 2006, 11:13 PM

Can it be hooked up to a G5? Maybe as an addition to my Soundsticks?
Richard T.
1st generation G5 Dual 2Ghz w/ 8 Gigs of RAM;
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 11:32 PM

No I am not against it just because it is ugly. I think everything about it is wrong and I listed ALL the reasons.

You're just saying my only concern is looks.
I think your concern is that you want to be overly argumentative and it's highly annoying.

As far as iPod sound quality goes, it's always been mentioned by people-- wether it be here, another board, or just among my friends. I know a lot of people (5-6) at my company who have replaced their iPod headphones with good headphones (myself included) because believe it or not people actually do care about sound.

Given all that, the new Hi-Fi brick thing is ugly. I'm not sure what they could have really done to make it better because i'm no engineer.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ben.mcguire
Yeah it sounds good but look at the price!! I mean come on,
What about the price?

The Bose SoundDock is in the same price league, and it's complete ****.

Apple can only compare favorably if they put even minimal effort into this thing.

ben.mcguire
Mar 6, 2006, 04:12 AM

The Bose sounddock is really overpriced as well. I just think for £250.00 you could get a lot more for your money.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ben.mcguire
The Bose sounddock is really overpriced as well. I just think for £250.00 you could get a lot more for your money.
With all due respect - I'm not making any such statements about the iPod Hi-Fi until I've actually HEARD how it compares to the Altec Lansing iM7 and the Bose SoundDock.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 6, 2006, 08:36 AM

You wanna tell me what "Audiofiles" are doing listening to files compressed at 128KBS?
They aren't. They are using loseless, and they do like the iPod because of it not "coloring" the sound.

I've been in countless threads about this throughout the web. Esp in audio forums.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 08:39 AM

I encode my AAC at 192. The quality at 128 isn't good enough.

It seems like amongst even semi-casual users, 160 is a very popular bitrate, and I'd agree that is an excellent compromise in terms of sound quality vs. file size. 160 is noticeably better than 128.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 08:26 AM

Why didn't Apple install an AirTUnes receiver in the Hifi so that you can directly stream iTunes music to the Hifi. What idiots.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Why didn't Apple install an AirTUnes receiver in the Hifi so that you can directly stream iTunes music to the Hifi. What idiots.
If they did that, it would add $100 to the price, and why the hell would they then build in an iPod dock? It would be completely unnecessary.

You can add an Airport Express to the Hi-Fi's audio input if you want.

Personally, I think it's an either/or scenario. I don't need wireless if I can connect my iPod, and I wouldn't want to connect my iPod if I had a wireless set-up.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
If they did that, it would add $100 to the price
Ya, they want you to spend another $150 on an Airport express.

Stereo equipment has some of the highest markup for consumer electronics. Apple will make a fortune off of every h-fi sold.

"Barwaraaawww"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 10:41 PM

I heard the Hi-Fi today. As far as I'm concerned, its only real competition is the IM7 and the Sounddock, and its pricing is in line with those. How its pricing compares to real stereo systems isn't really relevant; people look to these things for a small all-in-one unit that they can move from room to room if need be.

It blows the Sounddock out of the water, of course, but that's no surprise. Between it and the IM7, it's pretty much a wash in my opinion. Quality might be marginally better on the Hi-Fi, but certainly not enough to spend $100 more (and lose the video-out, if you care for that). The IM7 is also only about half the weight, if portability is a concern.

As for the looks, it's not my favorite, but it doesn't really bother me. So many of the iPod speakers have that cheap electronics look that I think a lot of people will be drawn to the clean, inoffensive Hi-Fi design. (Same reason the SoundDock has sold, well, any units at all) Coupled with the Apple name, it will probably sell better than the other systems in that price range.

"I start fires!"

reybart
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 11:24 AM

All I can say, this hi-fi rocks! I was supposed to buy on-line to avail for the discount but I was not able to wait after seeing , touching and testing it. I paid $20 for instant gratification. No regrets though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules