Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Glitchy Nano

Glitchy Nano
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 02:16 PM

I'm starting to have more and more problems with my Nano.

I rate all of my songs, and I have noticed that when I'm hitting the center button to get to the rating screen, that my Nano is frequently getting stuck on the stars page. I can hit the center button over and over and it just keeps scrolling over another set of stars. Like it is turning the page, but the next page is identical. After about 10 pushes it works itself through it though.

The second problem I have is that it will frequently just stop at 0:00 of a new song and will not play. Skipping to the next song sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't. I usually end up having to reset it.

It also freezes once every couple of days... requiring a restart.

Sometimes (and this is rare) it will start playng a song and the sound will be terrible and filled with static. Skipping to the next song always fixes this, but it is odd and happens enough to be more then a strange occurrence. It probaly happens once a week.

My question is this. Are these common problems or do I have a bum unit? I'm thinking of taking this thing back to apple and seeing what they can do, but the problem is that these things don't happen all the time, and I know that when I get up to that Genius bar, that I probably won't be able to replicate the problem.

Will getting a new Nano even fix these problems or are they all slightly buggy?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 06:50 PM

I've had mine for about 4 days now with no problems. It sounds like you have a software glitch. Try resetting your unit and installing the iPod updates again.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 01:06 PM

Done it several times. It sounds like the repeating stars is a known glitch, the rest is not.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 03:09 PM

Make sure it is running the most recent firmware. I had problems with crashing on the old one as well.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ben.mcguire
Mar 24, 2006, 12:34 PM

Mine also gets suck when rating a song if you press the centre button to quickly, running the latest firmware to . You just have to back up into the main menu then go to "now playing" to get back

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 02:35 PM

I just had my first repeating stars glitch. Does it matter if the song has album art? The one that did it to me didn't.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

ben.mcguire
Mar 27, 2006, 06:12 AM

does with both for me.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ben.mcguire
does with both for me.
Yeah, this happens more often than I thought it would. It once got stuck there permanently and I had to reset the unit. Seems like it'd be a fairly simple thing to fix...just a coding thing.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2006, 07:17 PM

It happens to me all the time. Like every other time I scroll over to rate a song. It's getting worse and it is SUPER ANNOYING!

There is a new firmware update out today (to limit the maximum volume), hopefully when I get home and install it, it will fix this problem. We'll see.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Well, after 10 minutes of testing, the new update seems to have fixed the super annoying repeating star problem. Horay for small victories!

Forum Links
Forum Rules