Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sata harddrive reccomaditions for powermac g4

Sata harddrive reccomaditions for powermac g4
macnewbie1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 10:52 AM

can anybody give me some reccomendations for a SATA harddrive to use on a power mac g4 and where the best prices can be found

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 11:15 AM

you want this for an internal drive? i don't think G4's have SATA connectors, so you'd have to purchase a SATA PCI card -- or do you have one already? or are you planning on using this externally?

in any case, TigerDirect.com has some reasonable prices on SATA drives.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 10:44 PM

For sheer speed, go for Raptors, if capacity is not a big issue (I have 3 & they scream!). Otherwise, Seagates and Maxtors both seem to have a good reputation around here.

If you dont already have a SATA controller card, Firmtek & SIIG are about the 2 best ones out there, both in performance & price. I recently bought a SIIG 4 port card from OWC for $55.00

Newegg & OWC are both known for reasonable prices. But with xmas eve tomorrow, check the sunday ads for last minute HDD specials at your local retailers
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 02:17 AM

For PowerMac G4's, you need a regular ATA drive. Unless, you want to add an SATA card like OmniX states. I'm guessing you just want more hard drive space.

I like Seagate drives, and you can usually find a pretty good deal at Frys Electronics (frys.com), or newegg.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules