Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Illustrator - mac to pc translation issues

Illustrator - mac to pc translation issues
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 07:50 AM

I have business producing laser cut acrylic jewellery. We have been having some dodgy deliveries with one of our suppliers, the laser cutting is slightly jagged all around instead of having perfectly smooth edges. My guess is that their machinery either has poor tolerances (they are primarily a sign-making company for example) or the laser has somehow come 'loose' causing it to vibrate, but they have spun me a line thats is because we supply mac-produced Illustrator files (down-saved to ver. 10) and when they open them on their pc system they distort. This strikes me as the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard, but in the interest of being thorough I would love to know what any of the people on this forum think - is it even remotely possible?
ππ>_<ππ

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 21, 2007, 08:14 AM

Not that I've heard of, if it were me (and distance wasn't too much of an issue) I'd head down there and see what they have on screen?

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 09:16 AM

thanks, and yes, I can't go in in person but will ask them to save the file after they open it and send it back to me - maybe that will show the problem. I just spoke to my partner who has been discussing it with them and I am more inclined to believe their story at this point so it will be interesting to find out whats going on.
ππ>_<ππ

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 10:28 AM

I doubt it. An Illustrator file doesn't "distort" across platforms. It might not be able to take advantage of the latest feature set, but then the file either wouldn't open at all; or in your case, a feature that has nothing to do with the plotter wouldn't work. But distort? Nope. Will their cutter work off of a PDF file? That would completely ruin their excuse!

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by yugyug View Post
I have business producing laser cut acrylic jewellery. We have been having some dodgy deliveries with one of our suppliers, the laser cutting is slightly jagged all around instead of having perfectly smooth edges. My guess is that their machinery either has poor tolerances (they are primarily a sign-making company for example) or the laser has somehow come 'loose' causing it to vibrate, but they have spun me a line thats is because we supply mac-produced Illustrator files (down-saved to ver. 10) and when they open them on their pc system they distort. This strikes me as the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard, but in the interest of being thorough I would love to know what any of the people on this forum think - is it even remotely possible?
If the art is to be sent as EPS, select EPS Options>Preview Format TIFF (8-bit color). No issues I can think of if art is sent AI or PDF. What software and version is the supplier using?

andi*pandi
Aug 21, 2007, 07:39 PM

how simple is the art?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 22, 2007, 04:22 AM

how simple is the art?
I'm not sure that would make any difference? If you have pathfinder issues/distortion over complex paths they cause a crash rather than any anomalies?

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
I'm not sure that would make any difference? If you have pathfinder issues/distortion over complex paths they cause a crash rather than any anomalies?
my feelings exactly. But I am still waiting to hear back from the supplier. If anyone is interested in seeing the type of work being laser cut, have a look at the desigers blog

kyohashimoto.com

I suppose you could say the work is not that complicated, but sometimes not that simple either
ππ>_<ππ

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 03:36 PM

Having worked in a shop with Macs and PCs, we did a lot of back and forth over platforms, never heard of such a thing. However, when sending files to our RIP, bad things might happen....

Edit as I speak.... there IS something that makes that happen sometimes but it wasn't a MAc to PC, it was a Save thing... I'll be back. Let me look at Illustrator.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 03:58 PM

Ok, yeah. I can't be 100% positive because I don't have Illustrator 10, but let me try to explain.

Sometimes when saving back or opening a different file format in Illustrator this setting can get screwed up. In Illustrator 10, there was a way to access the Output Resolution of vector images.

(People will argue that vector graphics are resolution independent- but Google it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

So any way, I have had round circles turn into a 100 sided polygon and racked my brain for days. Here's the thing, Adobe says the optimum Resolution is 800 (this has nothing to do with pixels) HOWEVER, when sizing things up, this can affect the number of points. I'm thinking one of 2 things happened here:

1) They are printing directly from Illustrator at say 400%

2) Somewhere in the Save Back to 10- the resolution got changed. Here's a paragraph that might help"

"Output resolution: ....The output resolution can create problems if set to low, circles appear not as curves but as a series of short connected lines. To avoid these problems make sure the output resolution is set correctly. Adobe says the optimal output resolution is 800 dpi, remember this number is relative to the enlargement factor, for example: if a documents output resolution is set at 800 dpi and the document is enlarged 400% the output resolution at final size will be 200dpi, too small (this is the typical problem). The output resolution should always reflect the enlargement factor. The correct output resolution for this example is 800 dpi X 4 = 3200dpi. You can set the output resolution in the Document Setup window (under the File Menu), however this only sets the output resolution of objects you create after you enter this number. If you need to change the output resolution of existing graphics do this: Select All (or the graphic you wish to change), open the Attributes palette, enter the new output resolution and press return. This may be an issue in other Drawing programs as well, consult your manuals for more information."

See where that gets you. Keep in mind, this must be done by the person outputting or it would defeat the purpose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules