Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photo Org Program that stores metadata in files themselves?

Photo Org Program that stores metadata in files themselves?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2007, 12:42 AM

Google's Picasa stores user-added metadata (keywords, tags, ratings, whatever) in the IPTC 'field' of JPEG files (equivalent to MP3 ID3 space). --> see Picasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this is a good idea, as it doesn't tie you down to any one program -- if you want to use another program in the future to manage your photos, you can just switch to it and, since IPTC is a standard, the new program will recognize all your previously-inputted metadata and can run with it.

iPhoto is great in most respects as far as I can see, but crucially it stores all metadata in its own proprietary, centralized database, meaning that you're tied to iPhoto pretty much forever if you annotate an appreciable number of photos (also, a central database store is vulnerable to corruption).

So does anyone know of a iPhoto-equivalent program that manages its metadata Picasa-style?

At the moment I'm considering running Picasa under Windows on an intel mac, but I'm hoping there's some Mac OS X native app out there that might be suitable.

thanks for any tips,
ox

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2007, 02:05 PM

On a related note, is there any metadata 'exporter' (perhaps 3rd party) for iPhoto that can write metadata directly to JPG files?

Forum Links
Forum Rules