Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Avoiding Windows reactivation with Boot Camp and virtualization

Avoiding Windows reactivation with Boot Camp and virtualization
ibook_steve
May 11, 2008, 07:58 PM

The subject kind of explains it all. I'm hoping that people will reply with their best solutions to avoiding the tedious and ridiculous activation process when switching between using Boot Camp and when using a virtualization product, such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop.

I am so unbelievably frustrated at this point. I'm constantly switching between Boot Camp and virtualization, and I almost need to reactivate every time I do. Not just Windows, but other programs I use such as MacDrive (they say they're working on this problem), AVG free anti-virus, and Articulate Presenter. I'm also still occasionally switching between using Parallels and VMWare (I still haven't decided; see my previous posts). Right now, I'm back at Fusion in preparation for trying out that new beta. Fusion seems to have much bigger problems with going between it and Boot Camp than Parallels does.

Internet activation no longer seems to work for me. I always have to call and say those f***** numbers, have the computer tell me that I have to speak to an operator, explain to them that I am activating yet again, and enter the new numbers in.

If anybody has figured out any definitive ways to avoid Microsoft's ridiculous restrictions (this is XP Pro by the way; I can't imagine how painful Vista activation must be) with a perfectly valid, personally owned product key, I'm all ears...err, keyboards!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2008, 09:30 PM

I use Fusion with Vista in Bootcamp and XP as a full VM.

So far the only time I've had to reactivate anything was when I copied XP to and from an external drive (if you tell Fusion that you simply moved the VM that seems to take care of things).

I haven't had to reactivate other stuff like AVG (and isn't it free anyway?). I might have gotten lucky with MS Office since I'm running the enterprise edition.

Could your problems stem from switching back and forth Parallels and Fusion? That's seems more likely to cause problems than Bootcamp -> Fusion. From what I know, the activation issues in Fusions were fixed a few builds back.

Might want to talk about your situation on the VMware boards VMware Communities: Community: VMware Fusion

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2008, 03:09 PM

This annoys me too. This site may be of some help

spacebag - spacebag

be aware that the site does kind of assume you are doing the dodgy with a pirate copy of wndows though.
ππ>_<ππ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2008, 03:46 PM

Weird, doesn't happen to me.

I have Windows Vista on Bootcamp, activated.

When I run the bootcamp partition in Fusion, I don't have to reactivate it.

What am I doing wrong right ?

-t

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2008, 02:41 AM

I recently installed Fusion on my BoootCamp partition. As they warned in their documentation, I had to re-activate my installed copy of Win XP once (I think it was the first time I launched it in Fusion) and auto online activation worked fine. Since then, switching between Fusion and BootCamp hasn't triggered any more activation requests.
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

Hmm, weird. The only thing I had to reactivate (once) was my copy of Office 2007. After that, things have run smooth.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2008, 02:47 PM

Once an installation is activated, it should never need to be reactivated unless you make a major change. Switching between a Boot Camp installation and a Fusion installation should not trigger anything. There are certain relatively major hardware changes that will trigger it though, but since you're not likely to change your video card AND your network card AND your hard drive in some short period of time, it's not likely that this will happen.

turtle, your use of the Boot Camp image is probably the reason you haven't had to reactivate. If it works like Parallels does with a BC image, it's just applying a different startup configuration for that installation, not running a "different" installation.

And I have to add a caveat that my own XP installation is with a corporate, site licensed disc that does not require activation. I have another disc that will require that, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of changing my installation just to see what activation is like. Yes, I'm chickening out on this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 19, 2008, 03:02 PM

Oh, to have a corporate site license. Activation is the bane of my existence. Hard drive died last week: reinstall OS and reactivate. Switch between using Parallels and Fusion: reactivate. I hate it. And I can no longer use the Internet reactivation option. I *always* have to call.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

etung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 08:17 AM

IIRC, I've heard problems with Bootcamp reactivation when using both Parallels and Fusion - the management schemes we use might not be compatible (Microsoft obviously doesn't want to make it easy, so there's no standard way to do this).

Forum Links
Forum Rules