Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple expands iMac HD replacement program

Apple expands iMac HD replacement program
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 15, 2012, 12:50 PM

Apple has expanded the range of iMacs eligible for a hard drive replacement in its iMac 1TB Seagate replacement program. The program, launched in July of 2011, formerly covered iMacs sold between May and July of 2011. Under the expansion, iMacs with 1TB Seagate hard drives sold between October 2009 and July 2011 will now be eligible for replacements.

Customers with potentially affected devices are encouraged to visit Apple's support page for information on the program. Apple is currently contacting affected iMac owners if they provided a valid email address during the product registration process in order to let them know about the program. iMac owners can check whether their device is affected by entering the serial number on the support page. Owners of affected iMacs have the option to get its hard drive replaced at an Apple Retail Store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or with Apple Technical Support. They will need to have the original OS installation disks that shipped with the product in order to have it reinstalled. They also have the option to contact Apple if they believe they were sold one of the affected hard drives.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 16, 2012, 12:33 PM

Seagate has ALWAYS sucked in terms of reliability.

P
Oct 17, 2012, 02:40 AM

Interestingly, Seagate is the only big drive manufacturer I've never had a problem with. Doesn't mean that they don't have problems as well, and with the consolidation in that business they must have bought some garbage drive manufacturers by now, but they're no worse than WD, the other remaining player in HDDs.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 17, 2012, 10:55 PM

ok, you are right about that... hitachi have always been pretty good though, and fujitsu. WD is on par with seagate, and that is what I agree with. I think its the over-the-counter faster drives that fail more and that is what I am normally referring to. But I guess that is what happens when you buy consumer class hardware. I remember buying E7k100s back is the days before 7200rpm drives were all the noise for a 2.5" form factor, normally meant for ATMs (servers) due to high MTBF rates... this is in 2003... I was upgrading MacBooks and selling them at $1000 markup after all my "tuning"... an easy $500 net on each sale, every 3 days on eCRAPbay.

freaktornado
Oct 18, 2012, 07:36 AM

Ha, I already replaced my Seagate 1TB drive with a 3TB in my iMac after the drive failed. Guess it's too late to take it to Apple...

pharmacopoeia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 AM

Bought two 27 inch iMacs in late 2009 with 1 TB drives. One hard drive failed last year and the other failed a month ago. Fortunately had the extended warranties on both iMacs and the drives were replaced free of charge. Then this email comes out - no news to me. Wondering though, did they replace the 1 TB drives with the same Seagate drives or something else that will last? Guess I'll have to look into that in the "about this mac" info and see what's up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules