Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPods automatically playing the next podcast is a terrible feature.

iPods automatically playing the next podcast is a terrible feature.
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2013, 12:41 PM

Truth.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 12:52 PM

Yup.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2013, 12:54 PM

Huh? The next *episode*, or the next *podcast*?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 3, 2013, 05:06 PM

Prediction: Spheric thinks that however Apple does it makes super duper sense, for the following 14 reasons, most of them being that you need to align your workflow with the one that Apple allows you.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2013, 05:31 PM

I liked it, at least for listening to a continuing story.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Prediction: Spheric thinks that however Apple does it makes super duper sense, for the following 14 reasons, most of them being that you need to align your workflow with the one that Apple allows you.
Spheric is trying to figure out what the **** you're talking about, because spheric only has a single podcast he listens to, but is generally a person that people will talk to if/when they have complaints/issues with Apple products.

Thanks for the **** you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 4, 2013, 09:27 AM

What?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Huh? The next *episode*, or the next *podcast*?
Doesn't make a lick of difference.

P
Oct 4, 2013, 09:41 AM

Well, I disagree, because I like to listen to podcasts when my hands and eyes are otherwise occupied (driving, exercise), so I prefer to not have to fiddle with it, but I fail to see why this is a major problem. If you're using an iPod touch or iPhone, you can download any of the 24 trillion podcast apps out there to change the behavior. If you're using an older iPod, I believe you can still add podcasts to a playlist. In that case, you can just make new OTG playlist with a single podcast in it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Well, I disagree, because I like to listen to podcasts when my hands and eyes are otherwise occupied (driving, exercise), so I prefer to not have to fiddle with it, but I fail to see why this is a major problem. If you're using an iPod touch or iPhone, you can download any of the 24 trillion podcast apps out there to change the behavior. If you're using an older iPod, I believe you can still add podcasts to a playlist. In that case, you can just make new OTG playlist with a single podcast in it.
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...ngers-podcast/

P
Oct 4, 2013, 10:23 AM

OK, but how does that relate to automatically playing the next podcast?

(Also, couldn't you just set the iPod to keep all podcasts that have not been played and manually trim any you don't want to listen to by marking them as "Read" or whatever the text i?)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 10:27 AM

OK, but how does that relate to automatically playing the next podcast?
Podcast with any amount of time played (like 1 sec) no longer counts as unplayed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What?
Translation:

Rather than just being a jackass, you could have helped by trying to explain what the **** the problem is.
FWIW, the podcasts app used to drive me up the wall by auto-downloading newly published episodes and playing THOSE next rather than downloading and playing the next unplayed episode of the podcast.
They fixed that some time ago, and I've never run into the issue described here (but I don't use it much, as mentioned).

So if I understand Dakar correctly, the issue is that the podcast app will play the next unplayed episode in a podcast, but skip over partially played ones?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 10:50 AM

I don't know how long the podcast you guys listen to are, but when most of mine are an hour long. Once one finished I usually want to move on either to music or a different podcaster, not the next episode.

Thorzdad
Oct 4, 2013, 10:54 AM

This is also an issue with the recent 11.1 update to iTunes. Perhaps this is related? I listen to podcasts individually and hate the autoplay thing.

Podcasts were totally jacked with the 11.1 update, including the deletion of any older podcast files you may have kept. Supposedly, the 11.1.1 update released late yesterday fixes a lot of this.

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2013, 11:01 AM

Most of the episodic podcasts we listen to are 4-5 minutes, and yes you do want to play the next one right away, and not have to mess with controls.

I noticed some of the older eps disappeared, 11.1 explains it. I had to go download mp3 and make a playlist (oldskool) to listen to those.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 11:02 AM

I very much doubt my iTunes is up to date.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't know how long the podcast you guys listen to are, but when most of mine are an hour long. Once one finished I usually want to move on either to music or a different podcaster, not the next episode.
Mine are ten to fifteen minutes. When I've listened to one, I expect the next one to start.

P
Oct 4, 2013, 12:35 PM

OK, so your issue is that when you have listened through one podcast, you don't pause until the next has started, and this means that when the podcast is in the partially listened state (half a circle), it is not automatically picked up for listening the next time you want to listen. How is this a problem so severe that you want to disable the automation of going to the next podcast entirely? Or are you listening on something that doesn't have the "partially listened" state, so it goes to listened (and therefore automatic deletion) directly? If it is the last, then I can maybe see your issue, but that would imply that you're using an older iPod where you can control your listening in detail with mixed playlists. What do you listen on?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 12:48 PM

OK, so your issue is that when you have listened through one podcast, you don't pause until the next has started, and this means that when the podcast is in the partially listened state (half a circle), it is not automatically picked up for listening the next time you want to listen. How is this a problem so severe that you want to disable the automation of going to the next podcast entirely? Or are you listening on something that doesn't have the "partially listened" state, so it goes to listened (and therefore automatic deletion) directly? If it is the last, then I can maybe see your issue, but that would imply that you're using an older iPod where you can control your listening in detail with mixed playlists. What do you listen on?
The latter; iPod Classic.

The best part is, there are random days where the thing will stop at the end of the podcast, rather than switch to the next one. Just noticed lately that isn't the case as much.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 12:52 PM

Having the next podcast play automatically is wrong, and if you prefer it that way you are a bad person who should feel bad.

P
Oct 4, 2013, 03:41 PM

The latter; iPod Classic.

The best part is, there are random days where the thing will stop at the end of the podcast, rather than switch to the next one. Just noticed lately that isn't the case as much.
So use the on-the-go playlists. Add your podcast episode, then play the playlist.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Having the next podcast play automatically is wrong, and if you prefer it that way you are a bad person who should feel bad.
I do feel bad, but I thought that was the cold.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 03:45 PM

When I updated to iTunes 11.1 or whatever it was that enables iOS 7 it completely borked all of my podcast organization. Undownloaded podcasts were showing up in my list view and it was driving me nuts. No way to turn it off or control it either (thanks Apple!).

So I completely dumped podcasts in iTunes and switched to Downcast on my iPhone and let me tell you, it's a BILLION times better in every way. Should have made the jump a long time ago.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 03:47 PM

So use the on-the-go playlists. Add your podcast episode, then play the playlist.
Jump through hoops. Fantastic.

miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2014, 03:45 AM

Considering that the Podcasts app has a settings panel for both default and individual podcasts with six or more switches it does seem a silly oversight not also controlling this behaviour with a setting.

And, yes, it is a genuine useability problem.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2014, 10:30 AM

I think the first and last time I listened to a podcast the entire series loaded and filled all my free space.
Bad idea to automatically load podcasts, bad idea.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules