Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing OS X on an iMAc

Installing OS X on an iMAc
bhayek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2000, 10:35 PM

I am going to install OS X on my iMac (400mHz, 13 GB HD, 128 mb RAM). I have backed up all my information on my iBook and I want to reformatt the HD. I wanted to know if I put a partition in the HD if I can still put OS 9 on one partition and OS X on the other. And is this a good idea? I am new to OS X so I need some help!!!
Brian Hayek

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2000, 11:01 PM

You can partition your hard drive and keep 9; as a matter fact, you'll want to. Reformat your harddrive in HFS+, install 9 on one and Mac OS X on another and use System Disk in Mac OS 9 to switch between the two.

------------------
Chris Turkel
CEO, Mac Gorilla, Ltd. http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

rw
Oct 26, 2000, 01:29 AM

I have an iMac 333 with a mere 6 GB HD, but I beat you with 160 MB RAM :-)~
I've got 6 partitions (which people tell me is overkill, but it works just dandy for me), and I have 9 on one and X on another. I think having 9 and X on different partitions is the best idea, because if something goes wrong with X (which has already happened to me), you can just erase the partition and start over, with no harm done to your main system.

noliv
Senior User
Oct 26, 2000, 04:37 AM

i use X and 9 on the same partition and it works well on my imacDV
maybe it's better to make two partitions and put osX into one and os9 into the other, but i just wanted you to know that it is possible to run two differents systems on the same partition
-noliv

bhayek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 09:03 AM

Another Question for you all: (Oh and thanks for helping!!)
How big do you think I should make the partitions? I mean how much does OS X take up? And then with two partitions can I use file from both with OS 9 and OS X?

One More Quesiton:
How do I switch back and forth Between OS's? Just the startup disk? What about holding down the C key?

Thanks again for all the input
Brian Hayek

gabrielf
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2000, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by bhayek:
Another Question for you all: (Oh and thanks for helping!!)
How big do you think I should make the partitions? I mean how much does OS X take up? And then with two partitions can I use file from both with OS 9 and OS X?
I'd say about 2 GB for X and the rest for OS 9. But it depends. If you have fast access to the internet and download every possible carbonzied app then maybe you want more space for X I've downloaded a lot of stuff (including all the dev-tools) on my X partition which is 8.5 GB big but I've still got 7.2 GB free.
And yes you can use files on the X partition from 9 and from 9 to X just format the partitions in HFS+

How do I switch back and forth Between OS's? Just the startup disk? What about holding down the C key?
I have X as the default startup disk and if I want to startup in 9 I start the mac while holding down command-control-alt-backspace (I don't think you have to hold them all down but I've forgotten which keys it is but holding down all of them works). If you're in X just restart your mac and hold down those keys. This way you don't have to choose startupdisk all the time. It should work on your computer at least it does on my beige G3.

Good luck

/Gabbe

Nauscicaa
Oct 26, 2000, 09:26 AM

If you make partitions and put 9 on one and X on the other it has no effect on your ability to use files.
I you are going to install a lot of apps for X i'd say split your HD in half, but 2-3 gigs will be plenty of space.

To switch from 9 to X you use the new control panel System Disk, it's included on the OSX cd and will be put on the partition with the os 9 install.
To switch from X to 9 you go to System Prefercense/Startup disk

There have been reports of apps not being able to see OS 9 disks anymore, that's because X adds some files to 9 when it starts Classic for the first time and there's some issue with HFS and HFS+ formatted disks. There's a little patch for it somewhere on the net, dunno the name right now.

To avoid problems like this I recommend you install 9 on both partitions(Make sure both of 'm are HFS+ aka MacOS Extended), Install X on top of one and let X use the 9 you installed it on to start classic (You select the OS 9 system folder Classic uses in System Preferences/Classic when in OS X)

cheers

bhayek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 11:10 AM

I have another question about this:

How big should I make that partitions? Like 50/50 or 25/75? I have no clue how much OS X takes up.

Another quesiton, how do I switch from OS X or 9 or the other way? Just start up disk? Or do I have to hold down the C key?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
Brian
Brian Hayek

noliv
Senior User
Oct 26, 2000, 11:35 AM

macOS X don't really need lots of space
700 Mb would be enough to try it (i put it on my 8 Gb partition with tons of files i use under os9...)

so dont worry about the size of the partitions...
-noliv

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2000, 12:33 PM

Apple says you need 1.5 gig for Mac OS X but I've heard 740 megs is enough. I use 1.2 and have plenty to spare!

------------------
Chris Turkel
CEO, Mac Gorilla, Ltd. http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2000, 09:13 PM

bhayek,
I have the same set-up as you. In addition to the info you've already gotten, I'll also add the following. The first time I partitioned/ reformatted I did not chose "zero all data" as an option. The result was instant, but I felt everything was slower, so after a week I did it again chosing the option. Granted, it took 2 hours to format this time, but the speed difference was amazing.
Also, not saying this is the way to do it, I used a 9G partition for my main OS 9, leaving me with a 4G partition that I then also installed OS 9 on. I then installed OS X over the OS 9 on the 4G partition, using it for Classic and leaving my 9G OS 9 virtually untouched. Then I trimmed down the extentions in my 4G Classic OS 9.
Everything works really well - and fast, except window resizing in OS X which seems to be a problem for everyone. For the hell of it, at home I've tried to stay in OS X unless I have to print or scan, then I reboot to my 9G OS 9, which my wife uses exclusively. Have fun.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2000, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by noliv:
macOS X don't really need lots of space
700 Mb would be enough to try it (i put it on my 8 Gb partition with tons of files i use under os9...)

so dont worry about the size of the partitions...
I've gathered that the 1.5 GB recommendation is necessary because of OS X's virtual memory management. It will write swapfiles to the system partition. These can approach 800 MB, depending on what's run under Classic.

You can save about 150 MB if you delete the QuickTime movie trailers installed in the "Grab Bag"->"QuickTime" Folder.

-chris.

Forum Links
Forum Rules