Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is Disk Burner coming for the external CD-RW's?

Is Disk Burner coming for the external CD-RW's?
bhayek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2001, 04:38 PM

I have an external USB CD- RW drive and I love using iTunes to burn CD's (In fact I have burned about 15 with iTunes 1.1) Its soo much easier than using toast to configure everything. But what I wanted to know, does anyone know of any plans for Apple to bring Disk Burner to the external USB drives? (Like Jobs showed in his demo, burning from the finder) Right now I have to restart and reselect the toast extension to burn just files, and I hope this will change. Please tell me what you know!!
Brian Hayek

parky_in_paris
Feb 24, 2001, 05:04 PM

I read in a post somewhere that this has been done, but I am waiting to hear how.

If I find out I will post it here. It can't be that difficult if Apple have the drivers for iTunes.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2001, 06:33 PM

I don't know about Apple's plans for future versions of Disc Burner, but MacFixit posted a hack to get it to work with version 1.0, as long as you have a CD-RW that iTunes 1.1 recognizes:

http://www.macfixit.com/archives/feb...#itunes2-02-22

[This message has been edited by CaseCom (edited 02-24-2001).]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 08:02 PM

I followed the macfixit steps and it works great on my iMac.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2001, 12:40 AM

I did what it said to do in the above instructions and I made 3 coasters! Back to toast for me.

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2001, 02:51 AM

I don't know about you guys but I did this: I got Disc Burner from Apple, got tome viewer and put the extension in the extensions folder, got the App put it in the Apps folder, it didn't work so I gave up trying.... Now that I got iTunes 1.1 Disc Burner works here, but I don't know unless I'll be working with CD-RW toast is faster (no preparing and making images). Considering how great Toast 5 works....

bluebean
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2001, 08:53 AM

Actually the Disc Burner has to go into the Utilities folder in the MacOS9 Applications folder ... the DiscBurner hack works great for me. Why doesn't Toast 5 show on the Roxio site?

iMan
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2001, 12:18 PM

Hello Everybody,

This link has great ste-by-step instructions, it worked beautifully with my Que 8x4x32 burner.
http://homepage.mac.com/ddewey1/discburn/
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Dragonlance
Feb 25, 2001, 03:43 PM

iMan, great link,just followed the instructions and the thing works great. no need for toast for me. ( i have a QPS Que! Fire 8X4X32)

Bas
Feb 25, 2001, 04:53 PM

Is it possible to burn video CD's or, even better, super video CD's with Disk burner ?

Bas

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2001, 09:47 PM

I also used the hack posted on Macfixit.com and DiscBurner works great with my Que Fire 8x4x32 drive. I will still upgrade Toast when it comes out but I am happy with iTunes. I have over 1500 mp3's stored on my firewire hard drive and I love making custom cd's easily.

bhayek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 10:20 PM

Ok now I have disk burner installed but it doesn't seem to be working right...can you please read my new post about Disk Burner Problems to try to help me....I need it!

Brian
Brian Hayek

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2001, 11:37 PM

I followed the MacFixit instructions and got my Que 8x4x32 drive to work. The only drawback is I can only burn one session per disc with DiscBurner. Does anyone know if Toast 5 will be compatible with iTunes & DiscBurner? I hate having to turn extensions on and off whenever I want to use either program.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Feb 27, 2001, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by bhayek:
I have an external USB CD- RW drive... does anyone know of any plans for Apple to bring Disk Burner to the external USB drives?
Hmm... this is very interesting b/c i have a Sony Spressa USB+ and while iTunes locks up every time i insert a CDR/RW, i can use Disk Burner (w/out running iTunes) to format and burn data and MP3 disks from the Finder just fine. My annoyance is that the only time iTunes succesfully recognizes my drive is when i disconnect and/or turn-off the drive (the name then appears immediately in the iT window). As such, i cannot burn audio CDs at all b/c Disk Burner automatically launches iTunes (which freezes). See my thread, "Unsupported Burners: Disk Burner, but no iTunes?" for more info.

Anybody know why 2 different USB-based burners would be coming from opposite ends of the spectrum like this?

Speed

[This message has been edited by SpeedRacer (edited 02-27-2001).]

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Feb 27, 2001, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
I followed the MacFixit instructions and got my Que 8x4x32 drive to work. The only drawback is I can only burn one session per disc with DiscBurner. Does anyone know if Toast 5 will be compatible with iTunes & DiscBurner? I hate having to turn extensions on and off whenever I want to use either program.
Toast 5 Beta 6 here and the answer is "no." Toast extensions in v5 work and appear to have the same limitations as do those in v4 - eg: no Toast AND Disk Burner/iTunes simultaneously. Given the popularity of Toast and the rumors flying around about Apple working with Roxio to expand CDRW drive support though, who knows, this may all change in the not-to-distant future.

Speed

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2001, 01:03 PM

Disc Burner 1.0.1 (English-North American)

"This version of Disc Burner allows you to create data CDs using several non-Apple CD-RW drives."

Forum Links
Forum Rules